Author Topic: Using emotes/actions while roleplaying? Thoughts?  (Read 4087 times)

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
Using emotes/actions while roleplaying? Thoughts?
« on: May 18, 2016, 04:10:37 am »
So for a while now I've noticed that some of the more "experienced" roleplayers of Feral Heart have some sort of stigma against using emotes or actions while roleplaying. Some claim that it is a noobish thing to do although I consider that notion quite silly, afterall that's why emotes were made no?

So my question is who uses emotes/actions while roleplaying? What do you think of using emotes/actions while roleplaying? Why do some find it noobish?

Back in my heavy roleplaying days I used to love using the emotes and actions to embellish my roleplay posts. Personally it just feels more fun to actually act out what your writing rather than stand stiff while writing walls of text. The emotes and actions make roleplays feel more dynamic and fun. I also don't see the correspondence between using emotes/actions and having terrible roleplaying skills. If anything I feel like users who can successfully write roleplay posts and act out the story through their emote/action use are more advanced in a sense? Multi tasking for the win lol

But yeah thoughts :)

ArcticGalaxy

Re: Using emotes/actions while roleplaying? Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 04:16:44 am »
I really like how you can use emotes while rping. Makes it seem more realistic in my opinion. But I guess everyone has their own way of doing things.

Offline Hakumi

• ✩ Just A Virtuous Smol ✩
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 130
  • A Smol & Helpful Floof ~
    • leanim3fr3akzoid
    • LeAnim3Fr3akzoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 04:21:44 am »
I did find it slightly odd, I mean, I do enjoy using the emotes | actions whenever I roleplay sometimes, I don't just want to write I want to do moooore. Lol.
I even enjoy it whenever I change my action in mid-speech, my face freezes up or glitches, but I don't see anything wrong with it. I like seeing how my character's reactions can change just through some actions or facial movements, especially if you're really into the roleplay and you don't really care what's happening, y'know?

The only reason why I would see someone calling it a 'noobish' thing to do, is because they're not used to that type of style or that little extra 'kick' because they feel like that could be the lazy way out...Or that some don't take it as seriously ( but this is all for fun, no? ). And so they just don't think that the player is really trying or being dedicated and they're just being plain silly. While others will think differently and see no problem with it.

Of course, everyone has their own style of how they do things or what they're used to doing, so seeing someone using the emotes | actions , what have you, can be a bit 'weird' to them. Lol.

Keep on traveling across this road called 'Life.'

Discord: Haku - Haku#74O7

Offline Kynvuu

• #Grimstagram
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 212
  • I'm not saying that it was aliens but...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 11:16:17 am »
Personally, I never used emotes while RPin because I thought it was a little tedious to have to scroll through and find the perfect emote to use for the RP situation. I might have used them one or two times but for the majority of the time I focused more on writing then I did on my character's emotes. Considering most of my RPs have taken place in alternate universes other than that provided in feral heart, I put more effort into imaging my character through the role-play that was going on.

However, actions are a must for me while role playing. Even if I may be one of those older more "experienced" role-players, I sill enjoy going for a jog around enemy territory when my character scouts land. Or laying while the whole pack is chilling, etc.

Very interesting topic though, Sura<3
On a temporary leave. Please contact other members of staff if you need assistance.

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 11:50:30 am »
Ooh, interesting topic! I haven't thought much about this.

I don't use actions or emotes, really. I do use actions that I can access quickly like laying/sitting down/crouching/etc. but not any of the options present in the Actions and Emotes box. I don't know, I haven't really ever thought about it before.

It just seems it would take too long to me, and I've always found it more important to convey feelings and actions in your roleplay post rather than on your actual character. Really I just use emotes and actions in general for only screenshots.

But hey, I don't know, might as well try to experiment with using emotes a bit more from now on.

Offline Aclediptus

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 48
  • Where are the Almond Doughnuts
    • aclediptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 01:25:24 pm »
Even if I don't RP too much, I think using emotes makes a conversation more lively, it gives a character a lot more expression rather than the stiff faces of a mesh (like mines, irl) And I'll say it should work the same with roleplaying. I have at least a set of four emotes for each of my characters, most importantly rest, if I were to AFK.
I'll say, it takes a lot of fiddling to get the right emote, which may be why they would call it noobish to do so? I guess they'd rather avoid the hassle of constantly fluking their character's expressions. It might, as the previous have mentioned, be their own choice.

I definitely use the actions, really sets up the difference between a sitting mesh from a character. Then again, what do I know? I'm no experienced roleplayer. It only takes X/Z and an occasional LShift to use, nothing too complicated even if you're writing the lore of Warhammer 40k and can be easily used in between.
But yeah, it's more upon a person's liking on whether to use one-third the features of the game or not.

Currently retired floof

Find me on discord: Aclediptus#7160

Offline Spottedbears

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 41
  • mister sandman, bring me a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 02:54:04 pm »
I rarely even move my character or look down while roleplaying. I don't have anything against it, but I am really just there to imagine. I am used to skype roleplays and other more text based styles of rping rather than using my character in game to express things. It's just a personal preference, to be honest, and I don't think any less of anyone who uses the actions in game.
It's interesting to see that other people do, although I wouldn't know since I never look down lol. I'm always tabbing out.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 02:56:30 pm by Tailgate. »

Art by me!
DA: Chrome-domey
Tumblr: Cassiopirate
Need preset, animating, or map help? PM me!

Offline CosmoFursi

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 97
  • . steal my starbucks and i'll steal your soul
    • SSFireWolf
    • channel/UC4pX64nRbfEuRcBaNlVxlJw
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 03:01:11 pm »
I personally think that without using the Emotes, everything seems really weird.

I use the Emotes to express my characters' emotions. Like, if they're scared, I'd use the 'Fear' or 'Horror' Emotes. It makes the roleplay more... Expressive, I guess. I dunno. I usually do things like move my characters' heads and use various Emotes to express them more.

I use the Emotes a lot, to cut it short.

Offline m2dis123

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
  • May Shadow Guide Me
    • STEAM_0:0:36124471
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 04:30:17 pm »
Using the emotes is rather tedious and you might take quite some time finding the right one that you need or not find it at all. For actions, sitting and laying down is everything I use. I cannot find any other use for the other actions. They just kinda seem out of place. I mean, buttswinging is basically only for trolling.

You usally use emotes and actions when roleplaying, and for me, it breaks immersion. Emotes seem a little bit way too cheerful. The only ones that I found normal were the serious ones. That might be cause of my culture, but who knows. That's what I think.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 04:36:31 pm by Mr._PanDa^^. »

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 05:47:20 pm »
I use emotes when I can help it.
Just helps me visualize things.

plus, with certain animation packs, i can make my neon pink wolfdog hybrid leap of faith hitting your body that much more 'real'.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972