Author Topic: -insert title here-  (Read 2791 times)

ThrillexForLife

-insert title here-
« on: July 14, 2015, 03:32:22 am »
Has the staff ever consider making a Holiday called Spring locking? Like, every month they could try to at least lock every old thread from users bumping or replying. It's extremely annoying to tell everytime.

If that's a problem, then they should create sectional staff to help lock the threads.

Offline Panzram

• Reject false icons
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 95
  • Chai tea addict
    • Koicrow
    • View Profile
Re: -insert title here-
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 04:21:39 am »
I think that'd be rather difficult and time-consuming considering there are a lot of threads on this forum. This could very much exhaust the Staffers but perhaps a Helper position could be arranged? I'm not too sure if this has been done already in the previous years and have been taken out for reasons, but sectional "helpers" might be of use when it comes to this. Though again, as wonderful of an idea it sounds, I don't know if going through and locking every single old thread would be an easy job or fun for the ones doing it. Members just need to be careful and look at the date before they post as to not necro old threads.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 04:27:54 am by Panzram »

In-game user: Panzramic

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 01:00:21 pm »
Might not be that bad of an idea.

Could be a little difficult yes, but it'd at least keep necro'in from happening so often.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

DreamerDay

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 01:02:07 pm »
Helper position would work.

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 01:28:32 pm »
We do indeed do a sort of Spring or annual cleaning but that is usually deleting certain unneeded threads, moving threads, organizing boards etc. As mentioned above this would be very time consuming and overall unnecessary. Think about the amount of boards with page after page of old threads that we'd have to lock.

Also keep in mind that just because a thread is old doesn't always mean it's a bad thing to bump/necro it. Not all boards have the don't bump old threads rule. Example, we allow bumping of old threads to some extent in the discussion boards say if the discussion is still relevant and there is no current more recent existing thread of that topic, but also if the post that causes the bump isn't just spam but actually well thought out discussion. On the other hand we don't allow bumping in boards like the Help boards.

Before we'd do this we'd have to come up with an entire list of when bumping is allowed and what is allowed to be bumped. We can't exactly do that flawlessly either since it's a case by case scenario with each board. We'd also have to clarify exactly when a thread is considered old (weeks, months, years). In the end it would just become confusing to users having such a different set of rules for each board.

We have discussed why we wouldn't hire specific non staff users to work on the main boards before also.

It's really not as time consuming to lock the occasional old bumped thread than it is to go about locking every old thread since this forum's existence. It takes us ages just to organize one board imagine working with all the boards... We already have a small staff working on a great deal of projects both in game and on site as well as taking care of inbox messages and moderating. I don't think its worth using up our time on old board content.

I'm not saying your suggestion is a bad one but perhaps not right for our system here. We do appreciate your suggestion and care for the site's management though hun <3 So thank you for sharing your idea with us.