Author Topic: What are your thoughts on hunting and fishing?  (Read 17519 times)

BouncyLion101

Re: What are your thoughts on hunting and fishing?
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 01:01:44 am »

Also another thing. People need to stop assuming hunters do what they do as if they hate animals or enjoy beating things to death or whatever. Go ahead and flame me, but I'm pro-hunting.

I would like to remind you that this thread is for everyone's opinions.
Don't openly ask for an argument on something that is meant for everyone to express their opinions on the subject, please.

Offline Abomine

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 41
  • I'm that weird chick who's obsessed with deer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 02:33:23 am »
I don't exactly like how they only use one part such as a fin when it comes to sharks. Even so, yeah, they're harpooned and then dragged onto a boat, but they aren't even in pain for that long. It's just.. harpoon the animal, drag it onto boat, kill it quickly.

I absolutely hate shark finning with every fiber of my being. Not only is it wasteful, it is also bloody, pointless, and cruel. It's one thing to hunt a non-endangered species (like a deer) with a gun, but it's entirely another to pluck a net-entangled shark out of the water, hack off it's fins while it thrashes in pain, then throw the still-living dismembered shark back into the water to get eaten (again, while it's still alive) by other fish.

A single wolf gets shot in Alaska and the "animal-rights" nuts are up in arms. 73 million sharks are needlessly slaughtered every year, and nobody cares. I'm apologize for ranting like this, but shark finning is something I feel very strongly about.

A disclaimer, though. I'm not against the hunting/fishing of sharks as long as it is tightly regulated and done in as humane a way as possible. Shark attacks by great whites are becoming a real problem in Austrailia. What they should do over there is take the sharks off of their list of protected species and start having a (again, tightly regulated) "hunting season" of sorts.

But the unrestricted slaughter of sharks for their fins should be put under the label of "poaching".

To Isengard! To Isengard!

My deviantART

Offline Cecilia~

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 20
  • wwww
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 02:45:10 am »

Also another thing. People need to stop assuming hunters do what they do as if they hate animals or enjoy beating things to death or whatever. Go ahead and flame me, but I'm pro-hunting.

I would like to remind you that this thread is for everyone's opinions.
Don't openly ask for an argument on something that is meant for everyone to express their opinions on the subject, please.

I never said/implied people can't express opinions. I'm stating that it's the most annoying thing on the planet when people think hunters are EVIL!!!!11.

Allow me to share my opinion too, thank you very much.

MORE ON-TOPIC, I wish they used more of the sharks.. seriously. That meat and such could be used for something. Why NOT just use everything while you're at it, you know? And that annoys me too, how no-one really cares much about sharks being finned. Why? Because they aren't "cute" or "majestic" or whatever..? :C
i dont know anything ever at any time

Offline Abomine

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 05:03:31 am »
I wish they used more of the sharks.. seriously. That meat and such could be used for something. Why NOT just use everything while you're at it, you know? And that annoys me too, how no-one really cares much about sharks being finned. Why? Because they aren't "cute" or "majestic" or whatever..? :C

There's a steakhouse in my area that sells shark steak. I'm a little leary of it because I'm not sure how it was harvested or whether or not it is an endangered species, but I appreciate that they are actually using parts of the animal other than just the fins.

And the hypocrisy in the so called "animal-lovers" community just disgusts me. YouTube is where it is the most obvious and condensed. This image, I think, explains it very well.

My deviantART

Offline shaddonite

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
  • Fluffy feathered feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 05:46:46 am »
I personally do not like hunters. Fishers are slightly different, and I don't have a problem unless they are over fishing or taking sharks and only using the fins (which is just cruel). In my opinion, I just don't see the point of going out and killing an animal for fun. Why kill an animal who has done nothing wrong? What do humans get out of it? Skin? I do not appreciate people who wear fur and support people who skin animals. This sounds lame, but what if humans were to start killing each other for sport? Obviously that'd be wrong and there would be horrible consequences, but it's not wrong to kill animals? I guess it's not as bad if people were to actually use the whole animal and not just use it as a trophy, and only if the animal was not in dangered what so ever. Though, I still disapprove.
This probably didn't make any sense, my apologies, I'm tired. xD

Offline Ingredient

• ~Dead men tell no tales~
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 366
    • Ingredient91
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 06:42:24 am »
I'm stating that it's the most annoying thing on the planet when people think hunters are EVIL!!!!11.

Honestly... I think there are more things on the planet to be annoyed at then another person's view on someone who hunts for whatever reason; my opinion.

I seriously am well against shark finning, they have their fins cut off while they're alive. The least they can do is kill it, nothing should go through such acts. What I heard though is that the fins added to the shark fin soup does not add any flavour at all, the fins only add texture to the soup. There's gotta be a more kinder thing to use just to change a soup's texture.

And that annoys me too, how no-one really cares much about sharks being finned. Why? Because they aren't "cute" or "majestic" or whatever..? :C

And the hypocrisy in the so called "animal-lovers" community just disgusts me. YouTube is where it is the most obvious and condensed. This image, I think, explains it very well.

Yup, it's pretty upsetting that only cute animals get respect and attention from most people. Just because something isn't good looking doesn't mean it's a terrible creature. I bet if cockroaches looked more like a kitten/puppy a lot of people would stop torturing/killing them.

In my opinion, I just don't see the point of going out and killing an animal for fun. Why kill an animal who has done nothing wrong? What do humans get out of it? Skin? I do not appreciate people who wear fur and support people who skin animals. This sounds lame, but what if humans were to start killing each other for sport? Obviously that'd be wrong and there would be horrible consequences, but it's not wrong to kill animals?
I agree with you there, I do not approve of hunting for fancy handbags, to put something dead on a wall or for just fun. I don't see your post as lame at all. I approve of hunting for food. Nearly everything in the world hunts other animals for food so it's necessary and I'm fine with it. The time when I won't mind people hunting for clothing is if skin is the only option they have, people who don't live in large cities or towns. Not in any wealthy place.
Yes, what if humans were hunted for game? I made some artwork of humans as an animal while living in Bali. People there bet on roosters and make them fight each other, the one that lives is the winner. I drew two humans killing each other while two large roosters towered over them and cheered, it changed a few people's view on that . "As long as no humans are killed then harming something else is fine." That's what I commonly hear and see around the place -.-
Will be inactive due to work and exams.

Offline Abomine

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 06:46:38 am »
"Hunting humans for sport" already exists. It's called serial killing, and it is quite frowned upon in most societies (not to mention illegal).

My deviantART

Offline Cecilia~

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 20
  • wwww
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 11:58:17 pm »
I personally do not like hunters. Fishers are slightly different, and I don't have a problem unless they are over fishing or taking sharks and only using the fins (which is just cruel). In my opinion, I just don't see the point of going out and killing an animal for fun. Why kill an animal who has done nothing wrong? What do humans get out of it? Skin? I do not appreciate people who wear fur and support people who skin animals. This sounds lame, but what if humans were to start killing each other for sport? Obviously that'd be wrong and there would be horrible consequences, but it's not wrong to kill animals? I guess it's not as bad if people were to actually use the whole animal and not just use it as a trophy, and only if the animal was not in dangered what so ever. Though, I still disapprove.
This probably didn't make any sense, my apologies, I'm tired. xD

Likely been explained before, not ALL hunters hunt for 'fun' or just for 'trophy'. Though I know what you're saying, trophy hunting is kind of pointless.

It's not a matter of killing because it's 'done something wrong' , it's a matter of eating it or using the fur for something. And once again, it's not like the deer or fox or wolf being hunted is tortured to death, lol.

Why do lions kill gazelle who have done nothing wrong? Because they're hungry.
Why do humans kill chickens/cows who have done nothing wrong? Because they're hungry.

Sure, hunting is different than farming for food in many ways, but in some cases, same idea. This case being hunting for food!

I hate trophy hunting, not because it's cruel or.. whatever, because the entire animal is going to waste. All they do is mount the head on a wall instead of eating it or something. e_e

Rarely do animals get hunted to extinction, cause there are these things called hunting seasons. Unless people start poaching, animal populations won't get too low.
i dont know anything ever at any time

Offline shusuke

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2013, 12:43:57 am »
I have the worst terrible aim and can only hook a good tree with my fishing line but I absolutely love hunting and fishing. Just being out with nature with your friend or your father or another family member of some sort...it's like some form of bonding and it's better than being cooped up inside all the time.

Since I can't fish or hunt I like to go canoeing.

These days trophy hunters usually keep the pelt, head, and/or antlers, and the rest of it is used as food most of the time. A good deal of people I've met in my county that hunt deer were farmers or hunted when they were young, so they ALWAYS use the entire animal. Heck the one I see most often only keeps the skin and skulls.

I find it stupid that so many people are like "I don't agree with hunting if the animals suffer". Dude...even if people didn't hunt animals they still WOULD suffer, from disease, from famine, injury. Many natural ways for an animal to die in the wild are not pleasant and last over a long period of time. I find hunting far more humane as people aim for spots that would end the animal quickly or would have them bleed out rather fast. :B It sure as heck is better than dying of rabies.

There are several aspects of hunting that I don't agree with but I have eaten my share of deer and shark alike. I'd rather see ways of how to improve the system rather than watch people gripe about it 24/7.

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2013, 12:57:05 am »
Since I can't fish or hunt I like to go canoeing.

These days trophy hunters usually keep the pelt, head, and/or antlers, and the rest of it is used as food most of the time. A good deal of people I've met in my county that hunt deer were farmers or hunted when they were young, so they ALWAYS use the entire animal. Heck the one I see most often only keeps the skin and skulls.

I find it stupid that so many people are like "I don't agree with hunting if the animals suffer". Dude...even if people didn't hunt animals they still WOULD suffer, from disease, from famine, injury. Many natural ways for an animal to die in the wild are not pleasant and last over a long period of time. I find hunting far more humane as people aim for spots that would end the animal quickly or would have them bleed out rather fast. :B It sure as heck is better than dying of rabies.

There are several aspects of hunting that I don't agree with but I have eaten my share of deer and shark alike. I'd rather see ways of how to improve the system rather than watch people gripe about it 24/7.

I definatly agree with you on this one, Shusuke. Whenever my dad, grandfater, uncles, neighbors, friends, ect. ever hunted down a deer or a feral hog they would NEVER let the whole animal go to waste. They would keep the head for a trophey, while the rest would go to a butcher to be cut up and get ready for cooking. We would make a variety of dishes with the deer meat; tacos, stew, roast, jerky, deer meat chili, BBQ, etc. I was never a big fan of deer meat since its so tough and funny tasting to me.... unless you cook it with bacon, then it starts to taste even better.  :P
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 12:59:34 am by LadyAlizarin »
Inactive