Author Topic: Server-Side Presets  (Read 5712 times)

Kohaku

Server-Side Presets
« on: January 09, 2011, 05:58:47 pm »
It's fairly obvious that the servers are having a hard enough time dealing with the regular player load, but I figured I'd suggest this anyways.

I find it silly that presets must be distributed to other players in order for them to see it.  I don't want others having my preset, but I still want it to show up to them, too.  Otherwise, what's the point of even having one?

Is there a reason why server-side presets cannot be implemented?  Regular, markings-based characters are stored on the server, so why not preset textures, as well?  Would it simply be too much on the server?

Again, just thought I'd toss this out there.  No idea if it's plausible or not.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 03:41:40 pm by Tigg »

Hezaru

Re: Server-Side Presets
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 10:39:02 pm »
I completely agree, it is stupid to have a preset that only a few people can see.

Kohaku

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 10:47:03 pm »
I wouldn't say it's stupid, as I'm sure there's a reason for it, but it does seem...Pointless overall.

TealSkeletore

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 10:54:43 pm »
Well I think it's just a lot less hassle without having to add hundreds, maybe even thousands of presets to the server. People have to send them in, then Raz would have to add them to the server and I imagine it would take a lot of time. Then when everyone receives the update so they can see all those presets, it could take hours to download properly

Ravenflight

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 10:56:25 pm »
This is going to disappoint a hell of a lot of customers.

Kohaku

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 10:59:28 pm »
Surely there's a way to code an upload system?  Like uploading an avatar to the forum?

Or maybe even just setting it up so the game can take the file from somewhere else, like Photobucket?  Although I'm unsure how others would be able to see the files that way, either.

One of the biggest aspects of Feral Heart is the ability to create and utilize presets.  The current system does not do a good job of this.

TealSkeletore

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 11:01:50 pm »
Hmm I wouldn't know about that, but it's a good idea. I'm not expert heh. When Kov sees this maybe he'll be able to think of something

Misako

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 11:10:51 pm »
Ah, there is my answer..
Perhaps it was a little silly for me to assume presets would be visible for others, as nowhere on the website it seems to be said that they aren't unless send to friends. Perhaps it would be a good idea to inform new members that they can stop waisting a lot of time now.
Wouldn't know how such a system would work, to make it visible for everyone. I would vote to implement it though, or atleast stop pretending it all works and lure members into thinking everyone can see their hard work. Just an idea.

TealSkeletore

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 11:31:28 pm »
But we've been saying for months now that you can only share them with your friends xD It was in all the FAQs before they were taken down.

Offline DimensionGal

• The Poison Dragon's Tainted Lily
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 80
  • aka Kerrigan the Mapmaker
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art page
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 11:34:53 pm »
I like this idea.

What's the point of making presets if no one else can see them? Other than wasting time, not much. Many members are proud of their presets - and I agree with Misako on the matter. No where on the site does it say that your presets are only visible by people who downloaded them - imagine the dissapointment of some hard-working preset artists.

If such a system is implemented, it would be hard to keep up with all the presets, but what if there was at least a limit? Like, to say, a user can only submit a certain number at a time?

Or, at least, for the sake of us simple and new users, make it clear that presets can only be seen by people who've downloaded them - underline it in bold somewhere or something.
?Mapmaker serving 16,700+ Feral Heart users?