Author Topic: Presets in the installer.  (Read 3764 times)

Offline Tygerz

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
Presets in the installer.
« on: January 12, 2011, 12:37:43 am »
Maybe this has been suggested, or thought of or whatever but I didn't see it.

OK, I'm not going to be someone who will complain if presets aren't free as I haven't figured out how to make them yet anyway, buuuttt I figured I could suggest something.

ANYWAY, what if instead of hosting the presets on the server, they could be added into the Presets folder on the installer, and then when the game is patched the presets are put into everyone's games?

Maybe that is the same as being hosted on the server, I don't know much about that kind of thing myself.

But if the game has those two default presets, couldn't the game come with everyone's presets?

Providing people set up everything before sending it to Raz/Kovu/Whoever would be in charge of that, as it might be a lot of work putting that in there. (Again, I don't know how to make presets but recall reading about some words that needed changing to the players name? Not sure)

I don't know if this is hard or not, or if it is what hosting it on the server means, but I figured I would suggest it anyway.

TealSkeletore

Re: Presets in the installer.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 01:13:41 am »
I asked Razmirz about this, and he told me that the file would be huge to download. It still has to be hosted by the server, and plus some people want 30gb or more on their preset textures. That is A LOT. Sorry about that, but such a big deal like presets is difficult to manage, especially when there are a lot of them. :(

Offline Tygerz

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 04:22:17 am »
Hm, a download with presets and a version without? And thats the end of my idea.

Well thanks :)
And 30GB? Ho-ly crud. Never imagined that one would take up THAT much space :o I was thinking a few MB...

Offline Tigg

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Your right hand on 3D-Meshes
    • t-i-g-g
    • channel/UCKuFJTwBJf94Tq07oVBNMrA
    • TiggDarkfury
    • View Profile
    • Isla Thanatos Gameserver
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 12:10:33 am »
Hm, a download with presets and a version without? And thats the end of my idea.

Well thanks :)
And 30GB? Ho-ly crud. Never imagined that one would take up THAT much space :o I was thinking a few MB...

Well 30GB would be all the bunch, not only one. But even if we would have seperated Installer/Download. They still would be on the Server. Everything what comes from FH to be used in the Gameplay/From This Site, lays on the Server.