Author Topic: I'm A Map Builder Newb Again  (Read 1025 times)

Offline SmexyBadBoy

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • How's It Howling MOFO Nation!
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
I'm A Map Builder Newb Again
« on: May 27, 2017, 09:54:26 am »
Ok so several years ago before leaving, between 1 & 2.5 or so I left, I was an avid map editor/builder I could add & remake all sorts of meshes but since the 1.15 update it seems a lot of my old tricks mess with the game & cause it to crash before opening. And yes I know that's due to a cloning error but I can't ever seem to find the culprit despite my best efforts to prevent it so I just uninstal and reinstal in the end not a big deal but a bigger pain than it's needed to be. So Since I tried looking up some new tutorials the "newest" ones I could find were 2 years & older. I've been with FH for over 5 years and it's quite frustrating when you have to relearn with no source. So if there's anyone out there willing to help me out I learn best through visual stimuli so a video would work best with me but I can try to learn through an essay too if that's all you can do. But please help me learn what I'm doing wrong I want to be a part of the community again after leaving all that time ago.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What I Need To Know:

1) Positioning Portals & Linking Maps

2) Mesh, Material, Particle, & Item Downloads/Exporting (I Tried The Default Exporting Tricks That Worked 5+ Years Ago But It Clones My

3) Files & Messes Up My Game So I Need To See What I Could Possibly Be Doing Wrong)

4) Changing The Default Skin/Mesh/Texture On Items (Like Fluorite Crystals For Example From The Blue They Are Now To A Starry Night Sky)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know it's a lot but no tutorials cover how to do this for 1.15 and believe me I've looked for 12 hours for a tutorial and nothing they were all too old
Human Beings Are A Lot Like Music
Different Genres
Different Ethnicities
The Only Difference Is....We Fight Because We're Different On The Outside
Rather Than The Lyrics We Write

Offline FlyingGrass

• ~🛠 The avant-garde doctor of mechanical beings. 🔧 🔬
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
    • FlyingGrass
    • channel/UCA7RfqQ1KLl4s8JhxIXNs_Q
    • View Profile
    • Mechanicafeles Discord link
Re: I'm A Map Builder Newb Again
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 10:23:54 am »
I have a problem where my particle files duplicate every time I export a map.

I just get rid of the duplicated particles every time I export a map.

My presets.

Good things take time, so I'll take an eternity and create something so good that the human brain can't handle the sheer goodness of it.

Offline Chipz

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 53
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 02:57:12 pm »

I personally found THIS portal tutorial very useful.

Unfortunately I have not tinkerd with the other things you are asking for so I am useless in those departments. Goodluck!

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 12:24:33 am »
For the most part, the older tutorials on Youtube and on the forums are almost all still applicable in most cases for the 1.15 patch as not much changed within the 1.15 patch that changes how you export and download items and such. But, a lot of the content here on the forums was accidentally erased so I can see how finding the right information might be troublesome. I want to do my best to lead you in the right direction.

The link that Chipz provided is a good tutorial for finding information on portals in the map maker. I hope it helps c:

2) Mesh, Material, Particle, & Item Downloads/Exporting (I Tried The Default Exporting Tricks That Worked 5+ Years Ago But It Clones My
Are you asking how to download and how to export meshes, materials and items? If so, I hope we can find you the information you are looking for. It is somewhat different on how to do these for each of what you seemed to ask. I will do my best!

3) Files & Messes Up My Game So I Need To See What I Could Possibly Be Doing Wrong)
I'm not sure what you're asking here. Would you mind clarifying for us what the problem here is? c:

4)  Changing The Default Skin/Mesh/Texture On Items (Like Fluorite Crystals For Example From The Blue They Are Now To A Starry Night Sky)
Changing the textures on objects within the game is as simple as replacing the current object's texture within the folder that the object is held. For example, you stated as an example the crystal. You can find the crystal object's material and texture files in C:\FeralHeart\media\objects\misc. What you will need to do for the crystal is replace the crystalTex.jpeg file with the texture you would like it to be, with the same file type and name so it rewrites over it. Almost all of your textures can be changed this way. It's just a matter of browsing in the FeralHeart subfolders and trying to find where those textures are at for each object or item and replacing them with the same name and filetype with your desired texture. It is also possible to edit the material files to contain different texture names but that requires a bit more knowledge on the subject. If you are familiar with preset materials, editing materials might be a bit easier for you. However, I recommend simply just replacing the texture files.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 12:31:26 am by Morgra »
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.