Author Topic: What do you think about looped maps?  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Zarago

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 47
  • Officially left.
    • View Profile
What do you think about looped maps?
« on: September 12, 2012, 10:54:33 am »
What do you think about looped maps?

I was thinking about the boundaries of maps in FeralHeart (where you can't run any further) and how irritating they were. Then this popped into my mind. What if wherever you ran, and regardless of the length you did it for, you'd never hit an invisible wall? For example, if I started from the 'L island' in Fluorite Plains and ran straight ahead of me, I'd eventually end up back at the island without having to turn around.

If you still don't understand, play this game, fly around and see how the map never ends.

I apologize if this has been suggested before, but I don't believe it has.

Zarago

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think about looped maps?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 11:28:31 am »
It's not a bad idea to be honest, but in general I do not even approve of it.

I can understand why it would be nice for some if you'd for example leave on the west side of the heightmap and appear on the right one, but there's many things that would be difficult with making this, and if I'm going to stay realistic I do not think this is something that will ever happen. Not all maps will look like Fluorite or bonfire so the heightmaps wouldn't match, nor am I sure how a characters position would change and update as they run into this loop and end up on the other side of the map, more issues that would need to be solved really.

But in general I like the invisible walls, but it depends how they are actually made. If map is made with areas that actually look like there's something beneath the barrier and not like something like South Pole works, then I get a bigger feeling of it being endless and a bigger world you are in even though the map itself is rather small. To be honest I don't get why people are so annoyed by these walls, they exist in lots of other games out there just that they are done in another manner such as having fences, rock walls, buildings etc, and FH isn't the ordinary MMO with extremely large worlds that load as you pass over it so we are limited.

I kinda like boundaries to be honest since it lets you create distant landscapes and make a map/world appear bigger than it actually is.
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline Zarago

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 47
  • Officially left.
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think about looped maps?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 06:07:58 pm »
Thank you for your opinion, Red.

I can say that I've never been irritated by the walls. I was just wondering about how much easier it would better it would be if you didn't have to hit a wall. If you can run endlessly, it makes you feel as if there are no limits because it is the world.

I don't mind boundaries though, because it makes you wonder what's out there.