Author Topic: What Does a Username Tell You?  (Read 5968 times)

Offline greystar

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • hhhahahahahhhh...
    • Greystar2000
    • Quinnbee-s
    • View Profile
Re: What Does a Username Tell You?
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2015, 11:51:27 pm »
Usually I look at a username and try to think "The username was chosen at the time when the user liked ___" or "the user has a pet named ___" or something similar, and although I do subconsciously guess an age window, I try to push it away to the back of my mind, because I don't like judging people.
Happy Pride Month!

Offline yourlocalcrow

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 43
  • they/them
    • View Profile
    • my deviantArt
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2015, 04:05:44 am »
Oh my god, if people judged me by my username I'd go nowhere on the roleplay scene. My username is "narwalpanda54321", and it's simply a username that I made up using my two favourite animals at the time, and accidentally misspelled "narwhal" as "narwal".
My second account, "~Trixx~", was made after I became literate, but it's still just the name of a kids cereal. At the time of making my primary account, "narwalpanda54321", I was 11, and didn't think you needed proper grammar online, as long as you were understood. It took me a little while to start using normal grammar rules OOC, and only using very basic text talk if I was in a rush to add my thoughts to the conversation.

My view is that your username is not a judge of your literacy, as some people have been on FeralHeart for years and are wonderful roleplayers, but their usernames as silly. Judging maturity by username is even sillier, because an account could be years old, and made when someone was 12 and now their 15(for example), and their username no longer represents their "maturity". Even if the account was brand new, you never know when the username is simply recycled from another website, and who knows when they signed up for that other website.

Offline Hotdogsrule

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • i eat cereal at 6 pm
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2015, 04:50:01 am »
I /usually/ don't put anythign in a username. My in-game username is Hotdogsrule, but I made it years ago, so obviously I've matured since then haha.

bork
(i don't even like hotdogs)

Preach

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2015, 05:08:14 am »
It can tell you alot. It tell you about a character from tv, favorite word, favorite moment, personality, background, and basically knowledge about life.

Offline popstar123

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2015, 05:25:04 am »
Personally i find it quite offensive seeing as i made this account awhile ago and my username is one that end in 123. I have since matured and understand that that username sucks. However i have built a good reputation on my account so people who know me know what I'm like. Its honestly very upsetting to hear people assume this.

Credit to Lionbattle on DA for my profile pic!

Offline Allari101

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • little-kitteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2015, 06:08:35 am »
Sometimes it does.
Being an experienced MMORPG gamer, I know not to make a silly/random/stupid username. I make sure it means something, and that its cool.

But then again those people with silly users can be great people and RPers! But usually they're younger kids or noobs.

I agree with what the person said, and I do normally judge like that, but I'll still talk to them. If they turn out too immature I try to leave. If they sound okay, I go RP with them, or something else!

You have to try, right? ^^

In-game user is Allari101