Author Topic: Color Description in Name. Is This Necessary?  (Read 2571 times)

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
Re: Color Description in Name. Is This Necessary?
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 07:21:00 pm »
As previously stated, it might just be for the fancy effect. It might also be symbolic, for instance, the BlackTiger might not only seem more intimidating, but may even hold a kind of status to it.
I don't mind at all, I'm cool with all names and name types, and some even sound kinda nice with the colors.

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

Offline floof

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2016, 05:05:59 pm »
It's always been a little peeve of mine when people add things like "<name> <gender> <species>", because sometimes it's pretty obvious, and as others have said before me, that's what bios are for. I've learned to get used to it and all, but I also don't think I've ever seen someone put a color in their name. In my personal opinion though, I think the character name is for just that, character names! 

Offline jay warfang

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 03:59:43 am »
I don't think anything other than names should be in the name field, if I'm interested enough in your character to care I'll try to initiate a role play where I can pick up such details from context clues provided by character interactions. I also think slapping those kinds of details into a name would be silly, it would be like going out into the street and introducing myself by going "Yes, Hello. I am Jordan, female, brown and human."
  People ought to be more concerned with first impressions and that's exactly what a name is! When I look at someones character I skim over the actual character taking in at most the colour and general shape, the first thing I pat attention to will be the name and if I feel it's redundant, generally weak or seems to convey a lack of comprehension (I'm talking about the loins and tiggers out there) I'm probably gonna move on. People say it's wrong to judge a book by it's cover but I'm pretty sure I can get a pretty good idea of if I absolutely want nothing to do with something at first glance, as are the majority of people.
 Names are important when it's the primary clue to a characters identity and the first impression you'll make on possibly hundreds of people who will never meet the real you, please take more care with them.

Offline Hakumi

• ✩ Just A Virtuous Smol ✩
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 130
  • A Smol & Helpful Floof ~
    • leanim3fr3akzoid
    • LeAnim3Fr3akzoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2016, 06:46:50 am »
To be honest , this can go either way if you look at it. .

Yes, Some people would think that's it strange and unusual or however you wish to think upon it, about seeing colours, genders, species, etc. in the name tag. But sometimes it seems like you might just end up having to do that because either:
o People don't take the time to actually get to know the character well.
o People fail to look in the character's bio
o People are still confused and would wish to know more.
Bio's can only go but so far and sometimes bio's might not be enough, so they'll slap whatever they can in the nametag and move on.

Some people may not see this as weird though or they don't feel like making a bio & if the information is pretty basic and doesn't really need a bio, then why not just stick it on the nametag. Of course, this is my opinion and how I see this situation as because I have come across some characters that simply didn't really see the need of using the bio at the time and it's not necessarily a bad thing unless they're trolling or some sort.

So in my opinion , I don't really mind it. If that's what the creator intended to do & is satisfied with their creation then that's A-Okay. ~?

Very Nice Topic. ^^

Keep on traveling across this road called 'Life.'

Discord: Haku - Haku#74O7

Offline PandaPawzZz

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Swoopy Swimmy Swoo
    • PandaPawzZz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 08:31:36 pm »
I don't see a problem with people putting their species, color, and gender in their name tag. If that's what they wanted, then that's alright to me. Of course this is my opinion. We all have something different to say.

I'll admit I put the species name in my name tag for certain characters depending if the species name will fit or not, but if it isn't obvious enough, I will put a species name in my name tag and my bio as well. I dunno, I just succumb to doing that for some of my characters.

But yeah, it may not be really necessary for some people, but for those who are used to putting "Katy F WhiteWolf", it's perfectly okay to me. We have different styles we like to work with for our name tags. ^^

Offline yourlocalcrow

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 43
  • they/them
    • View Profile
    • my deviantArt
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2016, 01:34:01 am »
I find this type of thing rather annoying. Any description in the name isn't necessary. That's what your bio is for. If it's your character's actual name or they're a Warriors OC, that's perfectly fine. But if it's just there to describe your character, leave it either to their bio or just leave it out.