Author Topic: Fighting mode  (Read 5306 times)

Offline .::Silver::.

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • I think I watched too much SD...
    • View Profile
Re: Fighting mode
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 12:54:14 pm »
However, I think a die-roll chat command would be good enough.

If you mean a death action, that would be fine.

I was thinking of putting a bite and scratch action, and if people want to RP fight they use those actions.

Offline starkwolf

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 01:50:07 am »
However, I think a die-roll chat command would be good enough.

If you mean a death action, that would be fine.

I was thinking of putting a bite and scratch action, and if people want to RP fight they use those actions.

While that would be nice, I don't think it would be necassary (also, under "emotes" there is already "dead" emotes). What I mean is a /roll1d6 or /roll2d100 etc command in the chat box. You type the command in the chat box, and it gives you the results of what you rolled. That way, if you used an RP system, you could put your "character sheet" in your bio, and it would be just like tabletop RPGs.
Been away for a while. When I come back, I have an ambitious RP in mind. PM me if interested.

PaintedWolf

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 04:59:19 pm »
I've been thinking this idea since I first started FH. It needs one of these, end the godmodding and powerplaying. That's the best solution to all this riff raff.

Offline Faux

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Faux Loves you <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 05:28:36 pm »
This is a good idea, would be alot of fun!
  I'm on both forum and game 24/7 ^^. Message me if you need anything, id be happy to help out.

Offline starkwolf

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 07:01:06 pm »
I've been thinking this idea since I first started FH. It needs one of these, end the godmodding and powerplaying. That's the best solution to all this riff raff.

If it did that, I would be glad. However, whether it ends, curbs, or has no effect on godmodding, I would be very appreciative just because Freeform combat makes me nervous. I never know whether I am leaning too far one way or another. IDK if I am alone or not, but I think many Tabletop RPGers might get interested, and we wouldn't even need anything complicated. Most of the complications in tabletop RPGs arise out of weapons, shields, armor, movement speed, athletics, and regulating NPC interactions (such as bluff checks). None of which apply here (save that your weapon is claws/fangs and armor is hide).
Been away for a while. When I come back, I have an ambitious RP in mind. PM me if interested.

Offline i be trollin

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2012, 07:05:46 pm »
It would be cool but as Alaskan said. We dont want to encourage fighting, especially for younger people.

Offline starkwolf

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2012, 09:27:21 pm »
It would be cool but as Alaskan said. We dont want to encourage fighting, especially for younger people.

There is "combat" and there is "fighting." Fighting is a problem, combat is not. If you discourage combat, you severely reduce the kinds of characters that you can create, and as a result damage the RP. Fighting, however, is a completely different matter. This generally comes out as a matter of rule breaking, godmodding, or generally acting like a jerk. Godmodding, at least, could be limited by a more objective form of combat. But combat itself is not to blame, save for the godmodding that occurs as a result under a freeform system.

For example, I am generally pretty lighthearted OOC. I have a character, Karl, who was in WWI. Why should he be forced to find a peaceful solution to every problem when he has combat training? Combat isn't the problem, fighting is.  

EDIT: Wait, you were talking about using combat to solve OOC fights like the OP was talking about? Yeah, agree with you there.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 09:30:31 pm by stark »

Offline duplosuper

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Mwuh I <3 FH
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 03:28:11 pm »
or just a movement, like a smack with a paw or something

Offline Charlie-101

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 03:58:01 pm »
Ok so what i'm about to say probably covers what everyone else has already stated;

Yes the fighting idea is good for RPing and claiming dens if you wanted to be extremely realistic, but like others have said people will abuse this power and every other minute you'll get a fight request from strangers and when you just want to sit and chill in game the last thing you want is to be actively denying fight requests from others.

Another factor is, if we do have a 'fight mode' we then again remove the point of typing out a fight scene within a RP meaning you miss out all the crucial information that makes the fight episodes within a RP so important. Another point that could be argued is that after you have finished the fight there are bound to be people who will want a reward for defeating someone which is a problem since you can't claim anything within game apart from custom made maps then that could lead to serious arguments and fall outs. Therefore we would have to work out an in depth system to tackle these problems that could potentially get very complex and detailed immediately ruling out the fun element as you'd only be able to fight by the rules.

Maybe i'm thinking a bit in depth about this but personally i'm not too keen on this idea as I think we'd be getting too much like Impressive World or Sanctum of Eventide, now i'm not really a big fan of those games apart from item collecting but those games seem to only be obsessed with item collecting and fighting which is great if you love that sort of stuff. But whilst in those games I asked people do you know of any RPs that go on in game and nobody could tell me any because they had become so alienated from hunting/fighting they weren't RPing any more and I love RPing in FH.

So there you have it my opinion, i'm sorry if it has offended anyone that was not my intention at all it's just simply my point of view on the matter ^^
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:00:21 pm by ?JD? »
'If this is to end in fire, then we will all burn together!' ~Thorin Oakenshield

Offline bluesonic1

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2012, 08:01:32 am »
I would love the idea of fighting. It would add something more to the game rather than just typing out all your actions... And like it's said above, it solves a lot of godmodding issues. However, if it is implemented, there will have to be measures in place to stop people being able to randomly attack others and whatnot.
Only problem is people could spam fight requests to someone which would cause major problems unless you can only be able to send a few requests each FH day or night.
That can be solved with a 'fight block' feature, similar to the block member feature already in the game (they could be merged if necessary really).