Author Topic: Map scripting  (Read 1426 times)

weylin

Map scripting
« on: February 15, 2011, 01:06:24 am »
I for one think it would be a great long term goal to allow custom map scripting.
To explain what I mean by this, look at Second Life and Furcadia, and how you can code 'games' into the system.

The possibilities of this are many, from implementing game mechanics to having interactive elements on a map.

You could make a simulation where you have to hunt to eat, find water to drink, and possibly get 'killed'
You could make a giant piano that when you jump on the key objects, they play notes, or leaves russle when you fall through.
You could have hazards, like lava with negative effects, and things such as healing waters that... heal
You could program HUD elements such as stats, health, skills, strength, etc. (perhaps encrypted and saved on the hosts computer)
You could possibly even program your own 'prey' to be on the map.

The best part being: All of it is confined to the map, what happens there, stays there :D Much like Feral Heart in general...cough
The worst part being: Some prick will probably find a way to exploit it to, at the worst, be mildly annoying. (If you are careful on what one can do with a script...)
There might also be some bandwidth concern for heightened data transfer of some of these scripts, so something will need to be worked out to prevent someone from purposely creating a bandwidth hogging script.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 01:13:03 am by weylin »

alien1361

Re: Map scripting
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 09:21:45 pm »
I for one think it would be a great long term goal to allow custom map scripting.
To explain what I mean by this, look at Second Life and Furcadia, and how you can code 'games' into the system.

The possibilities of this are many, from implementing game mechanics to having interactive elements on a map.

You could make a simulation where you have to hunt to eat, find water to drink, and possibly get 'killed'
You could make a giant piano that when you jump on the key objects, they play notes, or leaves russle when you fall through.
You could have hazards, like lava with negative effects, and things such as healing waters that... heal
You could program HUD elements such as stats, health, skills, strength, etc. (perhaps encrypted and saved on the hosts computer)
You could possibly even program your own 'prey' to be on the map.

The best part being: All of it is confined to the map, what happens there, stays there :D Much like Feral Heart in general...cough
The worst part being: Some prick will probably find a way to exploit it to, at the worst, be mildly annoying. (If you are careful on what one can do with a script...)
There might also be some bandwidth concern for heightened data transfer of some of these scripts, so something will need to be worked out to prevent someone from purposely creating a bandwidth hogging script.
I agree and i am a proud member of second life and know exactly what u mean

slycan

Re: Map scripting
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 09:43:10 pm »
I actually suggested this to Kov along time ago but he told me he hasn't played SecondLife or Furcadia before, but it sounded like a cool idea to him ^^

But I only talked about commands for Furc like "variables" , Map Maker "powers" such as kick/staff/ban from map and 'word commands' that jump to coordinates of the maps or puts objects infront of you if they are in the map folder( or default ones)

I'll show him this thread next time I catch him (: