Author Topic: The running.  (Read 4287 times)

Maslien3

The running.
« on: February 22, 2011, 09:12:28 pm »
I tried to look through the threads to make sure this hadn't already been talked about, and I didn't see anything but..... sorry if it HAS already been talked about.

I love FH, and I give all you hard working Admins, Moderators, and "GM's" mad props for all the time you have put into this game.. However, I have one major problem with FH.
I can't stand the running. (For the lion model... I haven't played a wolf yet, but I can't imagine it would be any different)
The two front feet, and two back feet should move separately, not as if they are "handcuffed" together. And also... I understand that some people might think it would take too long to get places if the running was slowed down, but when I start running, I feel like I'm moving WAY too fast.

Anyway... here's an example of the way a lion should run (imo)
Lion run test 01

And for a wolf..
Slowmotion: Dog

Just a suggestion :0

Offline Aroxy

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 42
    • View Profile
Re: The running.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 10:33:53 pm »
Umm.. doing animations are VERY hard, and I think Kov did a fantastic job with his for the models. Have you ever spent time creating, rigging, weight painting, and animating a model? Probably not. It's hard. Very hard.. and VERY time consuming. Especially when you're programming and running a game with over five thousand players to keep happy.

In IT, the running was much worse then it is in FH, so I appreciate the improvement with it.

Anyway, I completely disagree with this, sorry.

~Aroxy

Offline Sylph

• ? Ninja Time ?
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
    • View Profile
    • DrA
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 10:37:42 pm »
It would be nice to see animations that are like the real animals, but like Aroxy said, it would take quite a lot of time. :/

TealSkeletore

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 11:31:26 pm »
Yes I agree, the running animation isn't the most accurate and I noticed it a long time ago xD But it was the most convenient to Kov and I don't really think it's a major issue and doesn't need to be changed. If Kov ever decides to change it then I say go ahead, but right now he's working on more major stuff for the game. You will just have to put up with it I guess x3

And yeah I think the running speed should be turned down a notch as well. It won't make too much difference, just so that it doesn't look like the ground is flying underneath you're character.

Maslien3

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 12:50:23 am »
@Aroxy- Firstly, I go to school for programming, and game making, so yes. I do know how difficult it is. There are weeks when I sleep 3 hours a night because my school work is keeping me up. And I know the pressure of getting something done on time for my professors.
And also... I definitely appreciate the running upgrade, I'm only suggesting that it could be better.

Sorry you feel that way.

@Teal Skeletore- This was just a suggestion anyhow... Now that I think about it, I guess I don't expect Kovu or a moderator to jump on the task right away, but I just wanted to put my opinion out there. And even if he /did/ take the running animations into consideration, I definitely wouldn't expect it to be done any time soon lol. Especially because I'm sure there are other things that have his attention at the moment.

And the more I think about it, my biggest problem is the speed. Since I usually see my character from the back, the funky leg motions don't really bother me. Unless I'm looking at myself from the side for some reason.. xD

Offline GemWolf

• Avani's Ninja Agent
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 191
  • play rain world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 06:17:52 am »
I like the idea, and I noticed this the first time I hopped on FH. I'm a stickler for detail (Which, in some cases, is both a good and bad thing.) but I think that this can wait, and if Kov does take it into consideration, it would be an awesome improvement to the game. And the speed; I agree. It moves a bit too fast, but I'm fine with it. xD

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 01:02:48 am »
Sorry if I was lazy and jumped a few post. But yeah, it's probably hard to create these movements and get them right. However, they look better than they used to look in IT and they do the job, not that bad.

But I really agree on the part that you run too fast! Always thought that aswell. It is something that's most likely easy to change and fix aswell. Just make the running slightly slower would help alot.
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Maslien3

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 06:20:06 am »
Yes... I do understand that it is hard, unfortunately. And actually, as I have inspected the running cycle, I notice that the front two legs do in fact move separately :3 Just the back legs are "stuck" together lol. And I will admit, they do look /way/ better than they did in IT.

Yerr.. running speed is crazy fast. Even if it were just a tad slower, it would be better

Wudiin

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 05:59:43 pm »
Oh yes. I would LOVE a proper running animation. And like how if we press the + key on the F3 camara(spellfaillol) to go faster we could do that for a short ammount of time for a 'sprint' of sorts. It was not really the lion animation that bothered me, but the canine one LOL.

Offline spiritfang11

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 02:40:47 pm »
Hm... no it would just be to hard to code and stuff i guess. I really don't mind the running.
?

My DA-TigersDoRoar| My Fursona-Kivuli ___________________________________________  ?