Author Topic: Ban notification system  (Read 6654 times)

Offline Gargantor

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
  • WQ/FH/AK fan... RAWR
    • View Profile
Re: Ban notification system
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 05:12:32 pm »
Agreed to it 100%.
Ive seen too many games where mods just got the power grown on their head and started banning for no reason.. of course not telling why... you just got banned... deal with it.
Of course im not saying the mods do this here. They seem to know what they are doing. At least i or my friends never were victim here for such. While in other games its sadly a common practice.
A section, or so to say: a wall of shame or something would ease such negative thoughts.
Just drop in a section on the forum, and there every post could be a person getting banned (date, how long, why  and the rule that stands against that-of course locked so no complaining or cursing lol) and there we go. no complaining threads.
Of course receiving an email and/or PM would be nice too.
Ive seen a game which does the same, and there is absolutely no complaining or confusion. If you visit the forums, you can see what you did wrong and why it is wrong.
Of course it would mean work fo the mods, but the game im talking about has separate mods for that job. The gamemods give the info to them and they post the info on the forum in a few seconds.

Offline Sylph

• ? Ninja Time ?
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
    • View Profile
    • DrA
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 08:29:16 pm »
Definitely! I agree. It would stop the posts about it here, etc. Perhaps to makes things easier, the mods could have a list of banned users, etc.

Offline GhostingHowl

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 31
  • As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 09:46:19 pm »
Yay! Im glad there is so much agreement.

I personally like Sly's ideas as well, but I believe that the game should tell you why you were banned ON THE GAME as well as in the form of forum pm. Like my first post said, a window that pops up and says why you were banned before you get kicked back to the main screen. That way you will know right away instead of having to go back to the forums to find out.

A ban appeal section is also a great idea. Then people would know WHERE to go to whine about a ban, lol. I don't think that a 'wall of shame' section of the forum would be that great though. It would get really long and take a lot of unnecessary work for the mods. Im sure TONS of people are banned each day, and writing down all of their info would just be too much work for no reason, really.

slycan

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 08:01:13 pm »
me gusta.

Offline GhostingHowl

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 31
  • As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 11:23:38 pm »
*Bump*

I'm hoping a mod aside from Sly will see this and give their opinion as well. Is it just me or are Sly and Avani the only mods who come on this board frequently?

Tyki Mikk

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 02:34:30 am »
Its not just you. xD

Offline Kyugima

• Dovahkiin
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 182
  • Koo Koo Kachoo
    • View Profile
    • DropJaw
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 04:02:38 am »
  Definately needed. But someway of enforcing people to read the rules would also lower the amount of banning needed in my honest opinion. A lot of people probably go on without reading them. I saw someone mentioning a way to enforce people reading the rules in another section of the forum and I completely agree. In other games I have been on when they start up the game itself the rules pop up. It's not forcing them to read the rules, but they can't use the excuse that they didn't know they were doing something against the rules because they didn't read them or something, or couldn't find them (I know I was a bit confused on where the rules were when I first joined, until I noticed the forum thing up top, and had a look there XD). The rules would be in their face, and if they knew what was good for them, they would read it.

please click here! Help me raise my pokemon!
Signature: Kyugima, Rimfrost, Deafosho

Offline Ciath

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 9
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 04:08:53 am »
I complately agree. :]
Kodex in-game.

I share my account with my little sister. She does not use the forums.

Tyki Mikk

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 08:30:33 pm »
  Definately needed. But someway of enforcing people to read the rules would also lower the amount of banning needed in my honest opinion. A lot of people probably go on without reading them. I saw someone mentioning a way to enforce people reading the rules in another section of the forum and I completely agree. In other games I have been on when they start up the game itself the rules pop up. It's not forcing them to read the rules, but they can't use the excuse that they didn't know they were doing something against the rules because they didn't read them or something, or couldn't find them (I know I was a bit confused on where the rules were when I first joined, until I noticed the forum thing up top, and had a look there XD). The rules would be in their face, and if they knew what was good for them, they would read it.

Im 100% in agreement with you Kyu. I think that might definitely lower the ban rate since people have the rules laid out for them and also, they cant say they didn't know because the rules were presented to them already. So they'd just be proven a lier. xD

kovu2296

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2011, 12:38:21 am »
i agree, the rules in this game are a bit misleading in the way that its to sudden. If you do get banned prehaps go with the method of garrys mod ulx, where you type the command in console.

/kick [name] [reason]      or   /ban [name] [time banned for mins] [reason]

With 2 buttons one that says accept and appeal. If you click accept it takes you to the main menu, and if you hit appeal it takes you to the appeal page of the site. also who gave you the kick/ban with screenshot evidence as some of the staff might not like a person, and make any excuse to make them suffer. All im saying is there needs to possibly be a better system in place to deal with those who want to abuse it. as its not just the members who can.

i hope this has helped bring a few ideas as how to improve the community.

these are simple to impliment into the game simple LUA files is all it takes

as a server admin i know how hard it is to keep the rulebreakers in line and stop them making others rage and troll but with the right steps you can not only improve the rp community by making others take an active role in stopping rule breakers but also improve the roleplaying itself.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 12:43:19 am by kovu2296 »