Author Topic: Anyone ever have their name stolen?  (Read 2306 times)

Offline ShadowMT13

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • I gave up on this FH since I was let down...
    • View Profile
Anyone ever have their name stolen?
« on: November 24, 2017, 10:34:56 am »
Here is a scenario to think of, you make a roleplay character and worked on them so you could play as a cool rp character with some people, then you have to come up with a name for them. You don't want a ordinary name that you see all over the place on that game, so you put time and effort into trying to think of a unique name that you never seen anyone else use, finally you think of that special name and no one else ever had that name on the game you play. But then... You come back to the game in a great mood and ready to have some fun and you see a random person with the exact same name as you, it seems they literally just stole it from you because they liked it. Eventually you want to confront this person and politly ask them why they used a name that only you have used so far, they tell you that "no I did not take it, this is my own name I thought of" You know this is not the case since it seems kind of fishy that just a few days after you use your newly made OC for the first time, someone else now used your name and are acting like they are clueless as to what you are talking about. *Long very stressed sigh* people please come up with your own names for your characters instead of just taking one from someone you met at some point, I beg you because this becomes upsetting for some...

Has this ever happened to anyone else? How did you feel when you suspected a copy cat? How did you get over it?
Please share your feelings, now is the time to get this off your chest and vent to someone!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 10:37:21 am by ShadowMT13 »

Offline Tigg

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Your right hand on 3D-Meshes
    • t-i-g-g
    • channel/UCKuFJTwBJf94Tq07oVBNMrA
    • TiggDarkfury
    • View Profile
    • Isla Thanatos Gameserver
Re: Anyone ever have their name stolen?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 01:28:30 pm »
I have seen in my game database of my own game that someone tried to impersonate me xD
Ar least thats what i think of cause they named their character Tigg, thats my fursona and i run that game.

But on the other hand it could be that they have a character thats same named, i havent seen the char myself, just the name, so i let it be for now.

But the thing with names is that you cant get a copyright on it even if it is unique :/
I have my own chars that i thought have special names but after long times i figured there are really people having the same idea on a name. Thats pretty rare really!

In your case i agree that your name idea was taken over but i would not take it too serious unless someone tries to impersonate.

Offline FlyingGrass

• ~🛠 The avant-garde doctor of mechanical beings. 🔧 🔬
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
    • FlyingGrass
    • channel/UCA7RfqQ1KLl4s8JhxIXNs_Q
    • View Profile
    • Mechanicafeles Discord link
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 01:55:26 pm »
Here's what I think about naming characters.

Gem names, such as Topaz(A name of one of my old characters), are common.

Thinking of making a name by Google Translating a word such as "Vanquish" to Latin or something? Someone somewhere has probably done that.

In my mind, there's no true way to come up with a unique name.
I wouldn't confront anyone who has the same name as any of my characters, as I never guarantee that the names I come up with are truly unique to me. I just think my character names are helping others come up with names, so I'm okay with others using the character names I've thought of.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 03:00:52 pm by FlyingGrass »

My presets.

Good things take time, so I'll take an eternity and create something so good that the human brain can't handle the sheer goodness of it.

Offline Kynvuu

• #Grimstagram
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 212
  • I'm not saying that it was aliens but...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 02:46:23 pm »
Moving this over to Game Discussion as I feel it would fit better there
On a temporary leave. Please contact other members of staff if you need assistance.

Offline Azurain

• 🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃
  • Member Of The Season
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 183
  • an actual forest gremlin
    • lark-bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 07:24:04 pm »
Truthfully, I don't think names CAN be stolen. Characters? Yes. Names? No. Even uncommon names. Someone may have come across a name themselves and liked it. I chose Azura cause it was unique and I liked it. Never really saw it around either or so I thought. Then I noticed other people using it as well which I'm totally ok with. I do not own that name.

So yeah my thought is, if someone has the same name as you but a totally different character, then there is nothing wrong with it. You're always bound to find SOMEONE with the same name as you, be it in real life or on a game. You wouldn't go running up to someone in real life that has the same name as you and accuse them of stealing it would ya? xD

Offline Hakumi

• ✩ Just A Virtuous Smol ✩
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 130
  • A Smol & Helpful Floof ~
    • leanim3fr3akzoid
    • LeAnim3Fr3akzoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 12:40:25 am »
I actually find it surprising that I find people that ended up with the same character name as me,
Let alone a design.... Lol. I think it happened like... twice in the earlier days of FH and it was literally by the same user ( shame that I can't remember them well ).
Luckily for us, we didn't make a preset for our characters because at the time we didn't know anything about presets. Nonetheless we ended up becoming nice little buds because of the while 'identity stolen' fiasco.

Keep on traveling across this road called 'Life.'

Discord: Haku - Haku#74O7

Offline DarkLustyHumor

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 12:53:34 am »
I honestly don't see the problem with other people having the same thing. Chances are if someone comes up with something, then someone else already has. It's how our imaginations work, we usually choose names off of liking the way something sounds, region it seems to fit with, Japanese being common, or working off of an already existing word. It's impossible to get away from something such as that, you can come up with a name and someone else can as well. Unless you actually go and use random letters and numbers and not anything specific to your interests, the chances of someone else having the name are pretty much guaranteed, whether you've seen them have it or not. Heck I've had someone come up to me and tell me to not steal their name because they worked hard on it. Guess what...I used my ACTUAL first name. (Yes I know internet safety don't use your name blah blah blah, but first name is pretty safe to use.) Whether we realize it or not, on a psychological level, when choosing a name or being creative in any way, it's all based on something within our lives or interests, which means it would be something someone else would also have access to and interests with. All people are unique yes, but what we're exposed to that effects our creativity is another story. Humans are basically blank pages that get dipped in the colors of the world around us and what we choose to expose ourselves to as well as what we don't, but one thing stays the same, and that's what we can be exposed to, what's available to be exposed to, and that effects our creativity.

Mini Psychology lecture over, I don't think "stealing" names is a big deal.

Offline D-ead7Dog

• AFK NPC
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 97
  • BUMPY SNOW
    • D-ead7Dog
    • d-ead7dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 01:37:16 am »
Yeah I wouldn't be too worried about the name - I'd be worried if it were the design.
random person with the exact same name as you, it seems they literally just stole it from you because they liked it. Eventually you want to confront this person and politly ask them why they used a name that only you have used so far
people please come up with your own names for your characters instead of just taking one from someone you met at some point, I beg you because this becomes upsetting for some...
Names are common even if you search all over for a "unique" one. There will always be someone who has the same name.
Asking someone to change their name is just beef waiting to happen. Because if someone were to be a "copy cat" for "taking" a name then that would mean everybody in the world is one!
I've seen people with the name Remus before. Doesn't mean because i'm using it that it makes it unique. No. Character designs are unique - for the most part.
In fact if someone were to use the name Remus it could even mean it were the character's name from Harry Potter or even from Ancient History; Remus and Romulus. who knows? haha
Yeah they may like the name but it's just a name it's not the design. ;w;
It can be annoying [I guess] but nothing to be concerned about. :)

« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 01:47:19 am by D-ead7Dog »

Artwork (c) Lynxbrush & CosmicFatality

Originally registered January 15, 2011

Offline ShadowMT13

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • I gave up on this FH since I was let down...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 03:19:10 am »
Guys this was not really a thread to debate on if it is wrong or right, or if this type of situation should be handled a certain way, it was simply to share your feelings if you yourself have ever experienced this and how you felt and what you did to get over it... I am seeing a lot of people more so just debating on the situation it's self rather then sharing their own stories and how you overcome the annoyance and what not of this happening to you. Please understand this, thanks.

Offline D-ead7Dog

• AFK NPC
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 97
  • BUMPY SNOW
    • D-ead7Dog
    • d-ead7dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 05:15:45 am »
Ahh i didn't mean for my comment to come off as "this is right and this is wrong". I was just saying how I would handle it [Not caring too much].
Basically saying i wouldn't really care since it's just a name and not a design. If i came across something with the same name; Remus I wouldn't care too much.

Artwork (c) Lynxbrush & CosmicFatality

Originally registered January 15, 2011