Author Topic: Open RP Map  (Read 2902 times)

Offline Beeskee

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
Open RP Map
« on: March 07, 2011, 05:11:05 pm »
OpenRP. Tired of playing by yourself? Alone on a small map? In a group that is rarely active? Sick of fighting with 10 million people over the 5 den sites in Fluoride, er, Florite plains? :D

Come to OpenRP!

Screenshots in post below.

This is an early alpha preview, only the top left map section has terrain heights. Only basic textures have been applied yet. City sites have buildings. Small den sites are placed. No plants have been placed yet. To keep installation simple, the map will not be using custom objects or anything that requires a user to do anything other than install the .fhz file.

Open RP Map - click to download - V 0.3 - March 13 2011

Installation instructions: Download the file to your FeralHeart\Media\Terrains directory, or copy it to that directory after downloading. That's it!

The top left section will be a savanna area.

Top right will be forested with plains near the lower central portion and mountains around the edge.

I'm undecided on the other two biomes, tho I have some ideas. Possibly one badlands area and the other is undecided. I know I'm limited to 6 textures max so I need primary textures that I can use elsewhere.

Each map section has 1 large city site, 4 medium city sites, and 3 small city sites. City sites will have multiple den structures around a large central den. Each city has a sized water source. The RP thread will indicate times of drought and the level of that drought. Small droughts will disable small waterholes, medium droughts will disable small and medium waterholes, and large droughts will disable all waterholes. Rivers always provide fresh water.

The space between cities is for open terrain with small den sites around water sources. There is room for approximately 3-4 small den sites per section.

Central island:

This peaceful place has an exit gate, an emergency exit gate (in case the main portal didn't show) and a portal to the top of the giant stonehenge thing. :D  No need to jump up a hundred floating platforms, just take the portal. This island is peaceful, no combat is allowed here. No den sites.

All rivers:

Islands: A cluster of islands has gathered at point upstream, within sight of the river delta.

Room for 2-4 small dens. (Not placed yet)

The water here and upriver is always drinkable regardless of drought conditions.
Prey animals come here during times of drought in the savanna or other harsh climate biomes.

Delta: A river delta, a group of islands near the mouth of a river.

Room for 2-4 small dens. (Not placed yet)

Light water RP: The river is always drinkable right up to the point where it meets the ocean, past the outermost islands.
Medium water RP: The river is drinkable at low tide. Low tide is at sunrise and sunset, +/- a few hours.
Hard water RP: Due to salts leeching into and out of the ground, the water here is always undrinkable. Proceed inland to the inner set of islands to drink.

Savanna area:  (Map in post below)

In the center: A large central city, with 1 large waterhole and 1 medium waterhole, 1 extra-large den, 3 large dens, 4 medium dens, and 4 small dens. There is a small section of raised land that serves as a watchtower.

Starting from north of there and going clockwise:

North: A medium city site, with a medium waterhole, 1 large den, 2 medium dens, and 4 small dens.

North-northeast: A large waterhole with 2 plateaus and 4 small dens.
Prey animals come here to drink from the large waterhole, and eat the grass that grows on the plateaus.

Northeast: A small city site, with a small waterhole, 1 large den, and 2 medium dens.

East-northeast: A canyon with 2 small waterholes at either end, and 4 small dens.
The deep canyon serves as a trap for prey animals, who can be surprised while drinking and chased into the canyon to be trapped.

East: A medium city site, with a medium waterhole, 1 large den, 2 medium dens, and 4 small dens.

East-southeast: A large waterhole amidst hills. No den sites.
Prey animals come here to drink and eat from the grassy plains, attracted by the large waterhole and lack of predator dens.

Southeast: The entrance road. There is a raised portion of land that serves as a watchtower. By ancient tradition the roads are open to all travelers, but by equally ancient tradition, the group that controls the central city is allowed to station an observer on this platform.

South-southeast: A large, heart-shaped waterhole amidst hills. No den sites.
Rolling fields surround a placid heart-shaped waterhole. This area is more peaceful than it's sister site on the opposite side of the road. Prey animals come here to drink from the large waterhole and eat on the grassy plains, attracted by abundant shade and lack of predator dens.

South: A medium city site, with a medium waterhole, 1 large den, 2 medium dens, and 4 small dens.

South-southwest: 4 plateaus surrounding a large waterhole. 4 small dens.
These large plateaus provide an ideal habitat for predators, and the large waterhole attracts prey animals from the nearby areas.

Southwest: A small city site, with a small waterhole, 1 large den, and 2 medium dens.

West-southwest: 3 ring valleys surrounding a medium waterhole. 3 small dens.
Each ring valley encloses a predator den, providing protection and isolation. Prey animals are drawn to the waterhole and graze in the fields nearby.

West: A medium city site, with a medium waterhole, 1 large den, 2 medium dens, and 4 small dens.

West-northwest: A sandy desert, with 2 small waterholes and 4 den sites.
Desert-dwelling animals favor this environment, and the two small waterholes draw in parched prey.

Northwest: A small city site, with a small waterhole, 1 large den, and 2 medium dens.

North-northwest: A plateau encircles a medium waterhole. 3 small dens.
A large hilly plateau nearly engulfs a medium waterhole. Prey are drawn here due to the lack of water in surrounding areas.

Updated to 0.2 - March 13 - Adjusted world height to allow for taller mountains, had to redo all the small den sites. All small den sites established. All city sites established. Slopes near water adjusted. All waterholes should be approachable without sliding in from at least one side. Added weather.

Updated to 0.3 - March 13 - Applied basic textures. Road, shoreline, and grass. The monotonous texture was making it hard to edit.

FoxfangPitbull

Re: Open RP Map
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 02:08:36 pm »
Screenshots?

Offline Beeskee

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Open RP Map
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 10:23:04 pm »
Updated original post with a link to the new version. This one has all den buildings placed in the savanna map. I had to adjust the map ceiling height or I'd be further along, oops. :)

A small city (no textures visible yet, they have been applied since this was taken)

A medium city (no textures visible yet, they have been applied since this was taken)

Watching the savanna entrance from the watchtow.. OMG my butt is huge!  :D  

View of the main city, after adding basic textures:

Sunrise from the observation point atop the main city's largest den. The canyon can be seen in the middle distance, and the border river on the horizon. I left the map up in this one so you could see it.

Guide to the central island. Shows exit, emergency exit, and platform teleport: (Stray blue streaks are raindrops)