Author Topic: Books, Revising and/or going to attempt to be published  (Read 4011 times)

Offline Silhouette

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 53
    • View Profile
Books, Revising and/or going to attempt to be published
« on: September 17, 2013, 03:14:54 pm »
Anyone else here in the Feral-Heart community in the process of writing a draft, revising and/or editing, or trying to get a story published? I'm just curious because I have been working on something since about a little over a year ago, just got the rough draft done about a month ago and working on revising it. So is there anyone here writing anything with the hope of getting published or doing self publishing? ^.^;

Offline unnbrellas

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 68
  • "fight me" i scream from under my bed
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
Re: Books, Revising and/or going to attempt to be published
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 08:58:26 pm »
-Raises Paw-
Me! I've been working on one for a bit, but I'm not very far yet.

Formerly MochaCocoa; Find me ingame as ErikaFishhy!
Signature by ???????????�??

Offline Meadowstar01

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 09:23:30 pm »
I've been wanting to do this since I was in fourth grade. There's rough drafts that I've attempted, but then I just kinda... stalled on. I want to try it again now, but I've still yet to think of a plot. I would like to write a story that actually has more of a message behind it as well, like The Lion King does, for example. Not just some epic fantasy-type thing. Someday I'll try to publish a few books. Someday.

Offline unnbrellas

• View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 09:26:46 pm »
I've been wanting to do this since I was in fourth grade. There's rough drafts that I've attempted, but then I just kinda... stalled on. I want to try it again now, but I've still yet to think of a plot. I would like to write a story that actually has more of a message behind it as well, like The Lion King does, for example. Not just some epic fantasy-type thing. Someday I'll try to publish a few books. Someday.

But epic Fantasys are well - epic. Why not both though?
Like Lord of the rings for example - EPIC story, and it has some meaningful stuff too.

But yeah procrastination has really become a problem for me... your not alone.

Offline Meadowstar01

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 02:03:19 am »

Like Lord of the rings for example - EPIC story, and it has some meaningful stuff too.

I was planning on doing both Fantasy and making a plot with a message behind it as well. What I really meant was that I don't want to do JUST fantasy and nothing else. I want a bit of a mix to it as well. I like making it to where it's not too unrealistic, and not too realistic either.

Offline unnbrellas

• View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 02:41:26 am »

I was planning on doing both Fantasy and making a plot with a message behind it as well. What I really meant was that I don't want to do JUST fantasy and nothing else. I want a bit of a mix to it as well. I like making it to where it's not too unrealistic, and not too realistic either.

Ahh, I see what you mean. Good Luck! :)

Offline Silhouette

• Finest Floof
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 05:00:57 pm »
Oh cool Silverfang :D Yay, so I'm not alone LOL. And yeah I can understand how procrastination can be a problem. I finished my entire first draft, and it ended up being 50-60 printer pages long. (I'm working on revising it right now so its liable to grow/shrink)

The story Im working on is the ONLY one I've ever put this much thought into or managed to finish its rough draft but I think that is due in part to me putting in a time line for each part of the story from start to finish. On top of that, every 4-5 months I took a 1-2 month break. Not only does that keep me from burning out. (and the timeline helps out BIGTIME with this because the worst is trying to procrastinate or take a break without having a timeline/a way to keep from losing your place when you get back to working on it)

Up until recently the only real "problem" I have had so far is finding the right kind of people to give me feedback. I refuse to show it to my dad yet, for reasons of my own, my mother is somewhat helpful but she gives me crud about it because I refuse to put romance in it anywhere. I've got a church-friend (an older woman) who gives me feedback on how interesting it is but she does not live close to home. I only just recently found out one of my classmates is willing to review pieces of it too but I have not given him a copy yet. I guess you could say Im rather picky and "protective of" who reads my rough draft because I want someone to give constructive criticism rather than telling me "Oh thats too weird" and tossing it JUST because it does not fit in with the so many cliches people seem to cling it. Its a little "out there."

SoulRevenge

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 02:53:41 am »
Aahh I have started writing fanfiction kinda stuff (not super explicit, mind you) as requests/commissions to practice my writing skills~

I don't want to share it with people on FH quite yet, of course, and at the same time I'm also practicing with my own plots. Of course several of those kinda exist in personal files. Honestly when I write not much is reviewed unless its posted on 'An Archive of Our Own' (as that is so much better than fanfiction.net) or teachers get all nosy and ready through my 'person writings' part of my reading/writing journal, which I only have because sixth grade kinda requires that. (Usually they blabber about 'Oh there shouldn't be kissing!' 'Why is that character so violent?' ' You're style is so old-fashioned!' and unpositive stuff like that thank you teachers). But honestly, because I post some of my work on the internet (really it's mainly just Sherlock and Doctor Who drabble/my own written episodes because I've wanted to get into stuff like that, too~) I don't mind who reads it. They tend to be more rational than my own teachers, after-all, and my mother typically shoots me off with a 'Do you know what plagiarism is?'. Other-wise though, I'm public about what I write and how it is to be reviewed.
  I prefer people over the internet reading stuff, reviewing it, and not saying it to my face than in-real-life people I can 'trust' (in most circumstances, I get the 'too many big words' thing.) One person, a friend of mine I attended a sports camp with, however, was quite interested in what I have to say~ However I don't show people in-real-life my stuff unless I just know they'll be impressed.

A lot of stuff I write myself fits in the 'Something Stephen King would write' category.
In other words it's typically disturbing in subjects despite my age. I want to explore a much darker sort of genre, however. Where you can get so much more creative with your villains and what they've done; even make the 'good guy' fall. The murders are gruesome and the punishments either better of worse~ I like the feeling of deciding how society deals with the villain presented in their story, if you may follow. However at the same time 'fantasty-type' things have been devloped, still containing an odd mixture of the more gruesomely poetic. I want to make something quite fictional, but more adult typed in the future, I suppose. Much more complex than the rather simple 'He/She is a hero chosen for a special quest; one in which will save them all. . ' sort of thing.

Offline Silhouette

• Finest Floof
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 01:06:53 pm »
Aahh I have started writing fanfiction kinda stuff (not super explicit, mind you) as requests/commissions to practice my writing skills~

I don't want to share it with people on FH quite yet, of course, and at the same time I'm also practicing with my own plots. Of course several of those kinda exist in personal files. Honestly when I write not much is reviewed unless its posted on 'An Archive of Our Own' (as that is so much better than fanfiction.net) or teachers get all nosy and ready through my 'person writings' part of my reading/writing journal, which I only have because sixth grade kinda requires that. (Usually they blabber about 'Oh there shouldn't be kissing!' 'Why is that character so violent?' ' You're style is so old-fashioned!' and unpositive stuff like that thank you teachers). But honestly, because I post some of my work on the internet (really it's mainly just Sherlock and Doctor Who drabble/my own written episodes because I've wanted to get into stuff like that, too~) I don't mind who reads it. They tend to be more rational than my own teachers, after-all, and my mother typically shoots me off with a 'Do you know what plagiarism is?'. Other-wise though, I'm public about what I write and how it is to be reviewed.
  I prefer people over the internet reading stuff, reviewing it, and not saying it to my face than in-real-life people I can 'trust' (in most circumstances, I get the 'too many big words' thing.) One person, a friend of mine I attended a sports camp with, however, was quite interested in what I have to say~ However I don't show people in-real-life my stuff unless I just know they'll be impressed.

A lot of stuff I write myself fits in the 'Something Stephen King would write' category.
In other words it's typically disturbing in subjects despite my age. I want to explore a much darker sort of genre, however. Where you can get so much more creative with your villains and what they've done; even make the 'good guy' fall. The murders are gruesome and the punishments either better of worse~ I like the feeling of deciding how society deals with the villain presented in their story, if you may follow. However at the same time 'fantasty-type' things have been devloped, still containing an odd mixture of the more gruesomely poetic. I want to make something quite fictional, but more adult typed in the future, I suppose. Much more complex than the rather simple 'He/She is a hero chosen for a special quest; one in which will save them all. . ' sort of thing.

I understand completely. X.X The story I'm working on does not exactly have a happy ending and there's no one person "chosen" to go save everyone. Theres one who /tries/ but only gets so far. And really and truely, it does'nt focus on just one set of events happening to one character, you get volleyed between "Groups" just to be able to see a full picture of whats going on. Mine is'nt fanfiction though, its entirely out of my own head. My mother used to [albeit playfully] accuse me of plagerising when I wrote essays in highschool but thats only because I did a good job with them and after that she got multiple chances to witness me write and how I write, so she gave up the false accusations real fast.

I agree about sharing stuff with people over the internet. There are so many people (on feral-heart alone, let alone other websites!) that I know that would be perfect to help me out. Thing is, I don't /want/ it on the internet as much as I can help it, its my own idea that I want to attempt to get published (as far fetched and unlikely that is). Its just a lot harder to find the "right" people willing to read it IRL. Seems like right now if its not about werewolves or sparkly vampires *cough* Twilight *cough* or at the other extreme by being super-duper realistic, no one cares. ._.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 01:08:25 pm by Silhouette »

Offline TurtlezSoup

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • TurtezSoup. Your everyday dose of Turtlez
    • View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 10:40:16 am »
I'm actually trying to write a draft for one of my books. No idea how I can continue it though. X3

Siggy by Rustys!