Author Topic: Humans are the devil?  (Read 4306 times)

Offline darkknight

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • Ask Questions
    • View Profile
Humans are the devil?
« on: November 07, 2013, 04:04:06 pm »
So, I've been noticing a pretty common idea with groups or just the individual person playing their character. I started to get the idea that people use humans in their backstories or their plot ideas negatively almost all the time. "Humans killed my family." "Humans destroyed our homeland." "Humans ate my daughter." And so on and so on.

I've yet to see a simple story to give a human's good side. Come to think of it, I have a few bios that include humans, but they are either referenced or played in a such a way that gives them credit for how my character is in a positive outlook.

I just wanted to see if anyone agrees that humans are always downgraded in the animal world, I mean, humans are mammals, too. So again, do you think that humans are usually played as the real "big bad wolf" for most people's stories? Or do you think not? What do you all think about it?   
Image © Mikita Kavalenka

Offline TheFourLinks

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • We are the Links. That means we're awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Humans are the devil?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 04:37:08 pm »
Well.. the reason for this most likely is, humans are, a lot of times, 'bad guys' to the animal world. There are hunters, for example... many of them. Many animals are hunted and killed by humans with guns, and humans are the reason many animals have gone extinct in the wild, and some have gone extinct completely, such as the Thylacine/Tasmanian Tiger. Also Barbary Lions. All killed off by humans.

Because of this sad fact, humans are portrayed in bad light. It is to be expected... not many people are very kind to animals nowadays. Now we're always seeing videos and news stories of animal abuse, poaching, etc.

~Vio
I'm too awesome for these guys... -Blue Link
I like cookies :3 -Red Link
....I'm surrounded by idiots... -Vio
Fighting evil crap... gets boring. -Green Link

Offline TurtlezSoup

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • TurtezSoup. Your everyday dose of Turtlez
    • View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 04:46:42 pm »
One of my characters, Jackie, was actually a domesticated dogs that lived with an elderly couple, but they both passed away. They actually played a good part for me, for me most of my characters don't even know what an animal is! XD

By yes, I hate seeing "humans killed m so and so" "humans mistreated me" etc etc: it gets really repetitive for me and just gets annoying eventually because it come off most of the time as being uncreative (unless they have a twist too it). But they do make t sound like humans are evil when really, not all humans are.

Bt like Purple said, it comes off that way for the bad things poachers/hunters have done.

(This probably made no sense, meh)

Siggy by Rustys!

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 05:10:43 pm »
I see this all too often in some character bios. "Humans killed my family", "Humans hunted my kind near to exctinction. Now I'm the last one." I got to admit that it gets pretty old. I don't have too many characters that mention humans in a negative way.... except for Melina. Humans saw her as a nuisance, since she is a man eating beast. So they captured her and held her captive in a cage.

I don't have any characters with the sad sob story of "My family was killed by humans." That's just too cliche and too negative. I've had my animal characters play with human characters before, and there relationship with each other wasn't negative at all.
Inactive

Offline meeeea

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 06:23:48 pm »

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 06:48:47 pm »
This always just annoys me... I've had some human characters and characters that are humanoid I guess in a way somewhat, such as furries. Other characters, not sure I've made a character that hated humans exactly.. Not sure if I will, either. I understand humans do do stuff like poaching and stuff, but we aren't all mean. Some of these stories can get a bit old... In other words, I agree with you. I can't think straight right now, and I'm on this darn phone again, so sorry if I didn't make sense.

Offline Silhouette

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 53
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 07:15:45 pm »
When I thought about this, I realized its kind of funny. Most of my character's don't have these issues. Most of my characters who have had any dealings with (or even a remote idea of what is a human) human beings have either been positive, neutral, or more often they just... don't understand them. (and often don't care.)

Caylx, one of my canine characters, has had a close relationship with people. Sure, she has no idea that she was originally plucked from the forest as a young puppy to be raised to eventually be slaughtered for her fur but then again, do real animals know that either? Of course not. Circumstances changed, the guy's daughter became attached to her, so she wasn't slaughtered. To her, that family is the greatest thing since sliced bread and that's all she knows.

My human characters on the other hand, often are affected directly by this "human phobia." One of my human characters who had been (if only temporarily) turned into a wolf turned out particularly interesting because she ended up on the recieving end of a lot of hate when fellow critters realized their friend was "wolf in sheep's clothing" or in this case, a "human in wolf clothing." Thing of it is, she's not a hunter. She's not a logger. Shes just a regular human teenager who was a victim of circumstance. Likewise, another char of mine who has been human throughout, Hailey, has been blamed for the "sins of mankind" due to animal's bad past experiences.

Really when it boils down to it, I think it really relies on the /players/ controlling the reality of how their character percepts things. Sort of like what I said about Calyx. There is NO way she could have known she would have been slaughtered for her fur. Some players on the other hand kind of stick their hand into the OOC background information of their own character and "magically" let them know these "dark little secrets" when really.....odds are, they'd never know.

In real life, does a fox on a fur farm know its going to be slaughtered for its fur? Probably not. Do the deer necessarily know that the /humans/ set their forest on fire if they were in their little home in the thick of it when the blaze started miles upon miles away? Probably not.

And now its time to get a bit technical. X_X
In real life, humans hunt, sometimes to the point of hunting to extinction but....wouldn't any other animal in the same position of "power" I guess you could say,  do the same thing?

If there is an overpopulation of the predator species and not enough prey to support it, predators would continue to hunt prey. No doubt about it. They're not going to suddenly go vegetarian and due to specialization through evolution they may not be physically capable of tapping into other food resources.  

One of two things will happen. Predators will either

A. Hunt prey to extinction and then be forced to utilize another food source (IF they can) OR be forced to extinction themselves.
B. Hunt prey to near extinction, and then have their numbers violently drop off when there isn't enough to support themselves and then gradually build back up as prey numbers build back up.

We don't call the predators "morally wrong" for doing this and hunting their prey to extinction. (However usually they don't hunt prey to extinction because illness/weather/other predators keep their numbers in check but that is beside the point) Yet when a human does the same thing, we consider it "wrong." Usually its because we, unlike animals, understand potential consequences of doing this and often have other means of avoiding this situation.

Really when you think about it, humans are out-competing MANY species on the planet at once rather than a few at a time (which would be the case in most creature's evolution) and that usually doesn't happen too often. But when you get down to it, that's all it is, out-competing other things. Animals don't have that great of a grasp on science and they don't consciously know how things "work" in nature. They don't feel guilt for killing each other. There is no "evil" about it.

So by knowing science/evolution/biology, there is a moral "wrongness" of us turning the planet into our footstool, but from an animal's (hypothetically speaking) perspective, personally, I think they would most likely have NO idea, that we're doing any sort of wrong because they don't understand the science, they ONLY thing they see (IF they see anything at all) is that we are trying to do the same thing they are, compete with them. Without the scientific background, its just a competition and the mass majority of the species on the planet are on the losing end against us. But by nature's standards, that's "fair." The biggest resource hog/utilizers usually takes home the glory and ends up with the greatest amount of individuals of its species in existance. Think about how many bugs there are on the planet. They destroy a good number of resources for their own existence too. Can't say I've ever thought of a cockroach as "evil."

But its so easy for people to anthropomorphize the scientific knowledge that we as humans don't HAVE to hunt animals all the time/that we dont HAVE burn their homes/that we dont HAVE to use as many resources as we do/etc. "magically" into their animal characters. And with that, they also anthropomorphize  the knowledge of the moral wrong that goes with it.  Since they have already given them a lot of human characteristics (ex: speech, human perception/emotion, etc.) already, they do it anyway.

So if you want to be realistic about this, in a RP, EVEN if the water quality turns bad, all of the fish end up dying, the moose suddenly disappear/their carcasses are laying around with their horns sawed off, rabbits are hanging by strange metal contraptions from the trees, even with foreign smell of "human" in the air, the odds of your wolf-character who has never seen a human being in his life, figuring out that "man is doing this to me" should be pretty darn slim.

Sure, canines are great at making associations between things but there is nothing present to make the connection. All he knows is he's hungry, the water makes him sick, the fish are floating in the river and rotting, there's some species (humans) he's never smelled before, and the moose are lying about dead and missing parts of their anatomy. That is /it./ He doesn't "magically" know its the work of humans. (He /might/ make a connection with the odor and know to avoid places with that smell but that would be the extent of it.) And THAT is what a lot of people end up doing. They let their characters "magically" know.

I think I've said enough for now. /End rant. X.X;

« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 07:24:48 pm by Silhouette »

Offline TheFourLinks

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • We are the Links. That means we're awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 08:28:34 pm »
Bt like Purple said,

My name isn't Purple ;w;
I'm too awesome for these guys... -Blue Link
I like cookies :3 -Red Link
....I'm surrounded by idiots... -Vio
Fighting evil crap... gets boring. -Green Link

Offline gold feathers

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 87
  • Learn From Your Mistakes
    • View Profile
    • Shadows Of Mine
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 08:29:19 pm »
Considering that humans do kill and ruin wildlife in real life and clear out forest just to create paper and resources so that we can survive, resulting in extinction of some species, I think humans are considered danger in the animal world. Yes maybe humans are mammals but very cruel ones, of course don't get me wrong ya floofs because are are those ones that save the wildlife and protest against animal abuse etc, or maybe protect the arctic like the arctic 30.

but some people decide to base their characters on a realistic approach of the real outside world, which includes humans demolishing wild life and their habitats. This does make a great role-play back round to some and very interesting due to it's realism.

I myself like a tad of realistic back story which includes such content, showing human cruelty. It might be that animals do see humans as a threat and as you have said, they are downgraded but for a purpose. It's truth that takes over the backround of one character, and this does give people something to think about. Because by putting a sad and tearful story into one character and blaming the fault on humans, makes humans want to change something. I know I'm going a bit off-topic now, and we don't wanna hear some physiological debate happening haha. So I'll finish right there.
In-game username: gold feathers
Role-play group: Panthers Of Crossroads

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 08:47:38 pm »
Erk, I hate it when people are all like, 'Ooo, Humans are BAAAD! They killed my family! Humans are bad!  Kill them with me please!'
Its old, its cliche, and their really just insulting them SELVES!
Its been WAY over used as of late, and I know I know I know, Humans aren't perfect, but, animals aren't Either.

~Warrior, The Human

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972