Author Topic: What do you look for in a map?  (Read 1448 times)

Offline Dreamknght

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • https://dreamknghtfirefrost.devi
    • View Profile
What do you look for in a map?
« on: April 25, 2018, 02:25:16 am »
What the title says, while I practice presets that have been requested I have been interested in doing maps, but rather then taking requests for those I rather take all that everyone wants in a map and create it into something solid. Don't be afraid of hitting me up privately if you feel the need, but the map progress will go into the Work In Progress section that is in the maps section and I will link it up here. If I need to there will be many parts of this map as there are ideas, and no limits on ideas so go buck wild with it. ^^ I want to hear it all. Also if you have meshes or something that you personally have made and wouldn't mind me using I would love to use them while creating this map. All the people who help me create this idea, be it either with just giving me ideas or help me with creating the map by telling me how to do certain things will be credited. ^^ There will be a special part of the map dedicated to crediting others lol.

Debating on if I want to learn how to create my own meshes or not.

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
Re: What do you look for in a map?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 03:09:29 am »
Moving this to the wip maps/map discussion board since I think it will fit better there~
Farewell everyone<3

Offline Dreamknght

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • https://dreamknghtfirefrost.devi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 03:17:07 am »
Ahh my bad ^^ Thanks for helping me out though <3

Offline Oslo

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 07:51:42 am »
//Edited: Old post
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 06:55:25 am by Oslo »
i'm here once a blue moon

Offline SophyTheLioness

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 14
  • FUZZY LLAMA COOL LLAMA SEXY LLAMA
    • ValentinaTheWolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 02:09:37 am »
I'd say you learn how to make your own stuff. If there's a thing that can and will make you independant from others; go for it. There's no shame in using your own creations, afterall.
In all my maps, ALL of them my first priority is an environment that inmerses me on the vibe you're trying to give me- A green sky on a toxic map, with green goo dripping from stuff, and with toxic clouds too? AMAZING! A normal sky and grass on a suppossedly devastated, burnt wasteland, which also has a fair amount of 100% clean water and very much lively animal objects... Perhaps not.
The second thing- Is an original idea. Are you really gonna attract people with a basic curvy river and a forest? Or a foresty island surrounded by water, water, water.. And water. Nah no thanks.
The third thing- Make it interactive. In real life, animals can climb, scratch, go into places. If you make everything cardboard, where's the fun? Make easter eggs, hidden caves, climbable stuff- Hell, maybe even a mini parkour, or a snow/rock slide! That'd be fun. I'd play on that.

Well, that's about it. The music also helps a lot- If you put a good OST in the correct type of map you're in for the win.
I'M YOUR OBSESSIVE SABLE MOMMA.

Signature art by bab number 1 Kiaz <3
Avatar art by bab number 2 Cocoadoq <3

(Psst, check out my free species! If you like canines... Check out this thread ;) http://www.feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?topic=57355.0

Offline Siarczek

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 31
  • Friendly Neighborhood Environmental Scientist
    • siarczek
    • siarczek-art
    • siarczki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 11:45:34 pm »
I like small but highly detailed maps, although larger maps with low detail can also be nice if well thought-out. Sparsely detailed maps, with detail being restricted to certain areas, are best for roleplays, as they're less likely to lag.

As SophyTheLioness mentioned, maps are fun when they're interactive- add hidden dens, climbable areas, places hidden behind waterfalls or tall grass, small but beautiful places that will actually take some exploring to come across. I feel the default maps, especially Cherika Valley, are actually a good example of this- they're very well-done in my opinion.

Set up a boundary so the edge of the map isn't visible. I've always found maps where you can walk right up to the edge to be incredibly unappealing. When placing objects such as trees and rocks, make sure to have "Randomize Clone" on so the items aren't all in the same position. The sky you use should be fitting- the default sky is fine, but sometimes changing the colors around to fit the mood and atmosphere of the map can make it look much better.

I am incredibly picky with maps, but to put it simply- I like maps that are well-thought out, engaging, and nice to look at.

OCs | Art | [url=https://feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?topic=62880.n

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 12:46:21 am »
I enjoy maps that are immersive-- whether that is through a very unique and complex landscape or a simple one, as long as it makes me feel like I'm in the "world" that it exists in, it has a special place in my heart. A great tool for immersion is to focus on detail and bringing out elements in the environment to cultivate an atmosphere-- the specific details that Sophy mentioned regarding toxic clouds and green goo are excellent examples of little aspects that would formulate a specific environment; they're thoughtful additions that display the creator's attention to their creation and will stand out. In addition to the minute, the overall/big picture of the map is also important, as this is what most people will see before looking closer at details and will generally spark the first interest. My advice would be to play around with what you're interested in, though, and don't become too focused on separating the big picture from the small details, because often those qualities will overlap. Think of a place you would enjoy to spend time in. ^^

In regards to specific environments, I can appreciate any map as long as it is committed to the environment that is being communicated. I personally love cold/winter maps-- I think it's a character thing. I love winter and have created a few characters centered around mountain landscapes. I think a space map would be cool-- it's a bit ambitious since the available outer space meshes are few, from what I've seen. With a map concept that doesn't have as much foot room for object variety, this could affect how detailed you're able to fashion the map (so, that is a drawback from a unique idea. Advantages and disadvantages to all themes. c:) A good forest map can go a long way, too. One tip is to vary the sizes and types of trees and make sure that there aren't too many gaps. Someone mentioned how applying many meshes in one map can cause lag, which can indeed be a problem, so I would suggest using objects with low poly, while still maintaining as decent quality as you can.

One last recommendation is to look at every "piece" of the map as being essential. Sometimes, it can help to divide little sections on the heightmap into specific areas that you have in mind. (Example: If you're going with a simple meadow map, you may have a section dedicated to a waterfall, a section dedicated to a large purple flower patch, and another section dedicated to a den site.) This will help to reduce any wasted space or areas where you feel are just a bit "there" without serving a purpose to the map or enhancing it. Many map makers don't use that setup and will create as they go or mix things up, so it doesn't determine how good a map is, but I've found that it can aid you as the maker and others in distinguishing landmarks for navigation and cleanliness.

Good luck with your project! It's a very thoughtful concept to include the community in the making of your map, and I'm sure it will turn out wonderfully.

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.