Author Topic: Has anyone noticed this tail issue?  (Read 2920 times)

Offline bunnylions

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 42
  • I'm stupid and I'm proud! :D
    • KazeoLion
    • channel/UCIabUy2dwwyNBHYt7j49XzA
    • View Profile
Has anyone noticed this tail issue?
« on: September 15, 2016, 10:29:22 am »
For the feline models, the Lynx Tail and the Tailess look exactly the same.
Did you know I make games? :D
Meow.

ArcticGalaxy

Re: Has anyone noticed this tail issue?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 10:47:08 am »
Ah, yes, pretty sure it's been like that since the game started. I never really understood the reason why, and I don't think it can be fixed since staffers don't have the source code. Hope this shed some light on the issue. ^^;

Offline Ruby1234

• Mean Tutorial Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 297
  • aka Phloxenfree.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 12:31:34 pm »
Source not needed.

Easy fix:
Go to media > models
and delete ftail5.mesh

ArcticGalaxy

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 09:29:28 pm »
Well I just feel totally stupid now. I actually had no idea that would work...learn something new everyday I guess. ^^;

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 09:30:47 pm »
Well I just feel totally stupid now. I actually had no idea that would work...learn something new everyday I guess. ^^;
Yeah I know, that's what I was thinking. ^^ Thanks for the tip Ruby (once again lol)
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Offline Ruby1234

• Mean Tutorial Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • aka Phloxenfree.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 09:54:20 pm »
Yeah I know, that's what I was thinking. ^^ Thanks for the tip Ruby (once again lol)

Aaah, no worries, no worries, guys. I know meshes are confusing, I wouldn't expect everyone to know this works, since pretty much any other time you delete something, it crashes the game.

If you're curious why, I'll leave this explanation here;

The game can work without .mesh files for tails, ears, and manes/tufts. The reason for this is that the complete skeleton is attached specifically to the body. Once the body is selected (and always is, by default), the entire skeleton for the ears and tail is already included. The only thing the .mesh is providing is data for faces and materials(/textures). If that is empty, that doesn't matter, there will just be nothing there, because the skeleton is there no matter what. The animations/poses/states are all still technically there, just "invisible" because no 3D model is attached to them to actually make them seen:

And the mane/tufts have no bones, so those are kinda the same thing, except they had no animation states in the first place.

Interesting, yeah?
Hopefully, anyway. I'm hoping I've cleared that part up for you guys? ;u;

ArcticGalaxy

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 10:03:10 pm »
That...is amazing. Never really knew how all of that worked actually, and it is quite amazing!

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 10:04:21 pm »
The game can work without .mesh files for tails, ears, and manes/tufts. The reason for this is that the complete skeleton is attached specifically to the body. Once the body is selected (and always is, by default), the entire skeleton for the ears and tail is already included. The only thing the .mesh is providing is data for faces and materials(/textures). If that is empty, that doesn't matter, there will just be nothing there, because the skeleton is there no matter what. The animations/poses/states are all still technically there, just "invisible" because no 3D model is attached to them to actually make them seen:
Interesting, yeah?
Hopefully, anyway. I'm hoping I've cleared that part up for you guys? ;u;
Yeah, makes sense in a way. Thanks for the info :3
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Offline Ruby1234

• Mean Tutorial Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • aka Phloxenfree.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 10:32:46 pm »
That...is amazing. Never really knew how all of that worked actually, and it is quite amazing!
Innit? One of the coolest things (to me, anyway) about 3D modeling/animation was learning how this all works. It's quite funny, since you'd think that each part would have it's own skeleton, but by including it with the body, a number of possible mesh errors are avoided, and it allows for the "Tailless" options.
The way things render can be hard to grasp, but once you understand it, it's interesting to see what ideas people put into practise! cx

Yeah, makes sense in a way. Thanks for the info :3
My pleasure!
Thanks for reading my rambles all the time. c':

-

Sorry to have kind of strayed from the topic!!! ^^'
Hopefully OP finds this useful... //sweats