Author Topic: A New Type of Contest for the Forums  (Read 8376 times)

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
Re: A New Type of Contest for the Forums
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 11:52:23 am »
The thing I'm uncertain about is that counting away putting out the winners of this screenshot contest, there's not much difference compared to just sharing your screenshots in the screenshots board, and the contest itself just feel too plain if anyone would ask me personally.

If there was some requirements to actually edit the screenshots it "might" be some more to it, but all together I'm not sure if i like the idea, it just feels a bit too plain. Maybe we could have some sort of "Featured screenshot of the week/month that's found on the forum chosen by mods without any actual rules or submitting, but a contest feels excessive.

It's not like it's a bad idea though, and there would most likely be a few users who would be really happy to see something like this, but considering what changes that would be needed to make and work needed to keep a fairly simple contest like this going every month might need some thought.
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 08:24:46 pm »
Aww Red look what you've done you've scared everyone away now lol... Every time you come and roar one of your "Mighty Mod" comments with your opinions on my posts no one ever comes back to reply  :'(

...but yeah all jokes aside idk I really do think alot can come out of a contest like this, it all just depends on how creative you are with a normally "plain" aspect of FH and also how innovative you are with your ideas. I only brought up the contest idea for the screenshots because on inspection of the screenshots part of the forum I noticed that most of the time, let me emphasize not always but most of the time, the most popular screenshot posts are those from mods themselves, or mod's cublets and puplets (lol), or just a very few users with very popular themes such "Ginga Densetsu Weed/Ginga Nagareboshi Gin" etc. Some of the screenshots people take and edit look very amazing but its like whats the point in all the "Oohs and ahhs" if nothing more can be made of all that talent. I like the current contests very much but I often feel like they don't cater to most of the Feral Heart community... unless some people are really good at understanding art programs and making presets or have really good skills in working editting programs etc for videos alot of people are limited to joining those contests. When I thought all of this out the simplest answer to having a more round about most everyone can join kind of contest was by hosting a screenshot contest. Screenshot contests can feature a number of things a person is good at by how they manipulate whats given to them in game to portray a kind of theme. The theme each month or whenever you guys decide to host it can be anything same as you guys create a theme for the preset contests, Example like the movie poster theme/movie scene I suggested etc. A photo can be judged on numerous aspects not to mention its another way people can feature their presets, map creations, item creations etc... or the clever ways they manipulate the default game patterns and colors to create well known characters like the Slenderman , Pewdiepie, Pokemon and My Little Pony based characters you see in game. I think it's just another great idea that we can use to reflect what makes this game such a diverse community of creative people and give more people incentive to stick around the forums and for posting screenshots. I know if I was a mod I'd be able to to handle this and keep this "fairly simple" contest going ;)... just saying hehehe

Anyway thank you all for your opinions. I respect all your opinions good or bad... I would love to hear more and well for the mods if you guys do at least try to give my idea a chance I would love to hear more from you guys as well. If we ever did have a screenshot contest, not like the banner contest that's been mentioned so often, what kind of themes would you like to see in it?

btw wow I didn't realize I wrote so much xD Sorry
Much love to you all
~Lord Sury
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 08:32:58 pm by LordSuragaha »

Offline RavenShai

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 80
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 03:22:51 am »
I really like the idea because as LS has said, practically anyone would be able to join. Half the time I don't really bother looking at the contest section of the forums because I can't do most of them anyway, like the preset and maps contests xD

Though screenshots are simple, everyone can do it and so more people would be able to apply and actually be able to enter a contest if they haven't before, and with their creativity it doesn't have to be "plain". With adding theme, it'd make things interesting of what people come up with and seeing what they put on display x3
The Hobbit

"Where did you go to, if I may ask?" said Thorin to Gandolf as they rode along.
"To look ahead," said he.
"And what brought you back in the nick of time?" "Looking behind,"...

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 03:48:03 am »
I'm very well aware of that you can edit a screenshot and be creative with it if you have the will to do so. But the idea for the contest itself, capturing a screenshot, and edit it up in something like gimp or photoshop just lacks something in my eyes.

There's also the issue about where the space of this contest should be given on the boards without making things messy, and we really try to keep it low on as many boards/child boards as possible since we have a great amount of these. And lets say we had a contest like this, and we found a good spot and organization to hold it, which would the best way be to feature it to make it both smooth for those holding it, but also giving the winner(s) some benefit for placing high.

So it would need to be taken to consideration of where the winners would go to gain something from it, keeping the board spiffy, and making it easier for those holding it. I really wish trying to avoid just placing boards or threads into section for the sake of their existence if it will just bring down the overall board organization, and especially if it's an idea that I feel is lacking something, and this is just a few of the things that might pop into mind by the thought of making this.

It's really nice that members take consideration of others to get more engaged in some of the events/matters we have around here, but I see some negatives at present time to hold a contest like this and feel very "maybe" about it.

Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 04:16:44 am »
Well at least it's a maybe and well that's good enough for me that you would consider it even the least bit. I do understand what you're saying though Red just today I was checking out some of the areas of the forum that are the least explored by me and I did notice just how many seperate threads there are for everything...It's a bit overwhelming sometimes and while it keeps things very organized I can only imagine how much work it is to manage all of it. You guys do a pretty good job of things though, especially given how small of a voluntary staff team you have for such a big busy forum.  Again thank you both for the replies.

Offline CreamWolf

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 76
  • OG Island Boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 09:27:29 pm »
This kind of contest wouldn't be half bad in my opinion. o: Monthly Screenshot Contest... ohyes. <3

He will eat your LAVENDER cookies.
#BlameRingo

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 09:25:21 pm »
I thought about different types of contests the other day, and something along the lines of a screenshot or something else of the sort contest would be a nice idea. I'm a bit of the photoeditor myself (hence the avatar xD) and I'm not really that good at making presets or videos.
But if a contest is only a maybe from Red, then maybe we could come up with something else similar to that idea. Like...I don't know, like a storyboard. (Sorry, I'm thinking on the spot here).

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

Offline poptart5

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
  • Hibernating
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 07:51:04 pm »
I personally think that that would be a GREAT idea! I love it!

Offline SilverTW

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 54
  • Inactive account
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 02:45:47 am »
Well, isn't that funny? I was just thinking about a similar idea, of how there could be a little FeralHeart movie contest thingy (Not 1 hour long XD, but more like a short video, not a music video) and yes I'm aware there's a video contest, but I mean more far into video XD. Of Course, it'd be a time-consuming thing to do, right? I'd just thought it'd be cool. Anyways, back on topic. It would be a COOL idea, but there's already dat' banner thingy thing

This account is no longer in use, and any messages sent to here will not be read. If you need to reach me, head to https://softdiamond.net

Specialized in FeralHeart Maps,Presets,Objects,Mods,Markings,Textures and MORE.
Video Maker and more!

Offline Feareh

• The Jaguar Artist
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 195
  • Where is the Walrus Species?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 05:09:15 pm »
That would be pretty cool XD or even like Feature of the day screenshot :P
thats actually a awesome idea ^^, like for each month show off a beautifully done banner or something like that and be featured. It's gives people that are on the forms to really shine out and it's a awesome way to say that we care :3. I'm totally for it, sign me up
I Stalk from time to time...I have moved on to other things but do miss this place. Good times
Add me on discord:
Bakujio 🐺#7358