Author Topic: Newbies and Nuzzling  (Read 8181 times)

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
Newbies and Nuzzling
« on: October 24, 2012, 12:24:46 pm »
Last night I was doing a bit of thinking, (as you do XD) and I thought about the newbie members. I understand that newbies can only nuzzle other members and give out floofs when they have made 50 posts (I think that's correct) and become junior members.
Now then newbies, do you think this is a good idea and a fair one, or would you like to be able to nuzzle people who are kind and helpful now rather than wait until you've excelled in rank?
Let us know what you're thinking.

EDIT: I stand corrected! It's 25 posts until newbies can give nuzzles.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 06:45:47 pm by DoctorFlob »

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

CloudFish

Re: Newbies and Nuzzling
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 12:30:05 pm »
It is 25 posts where they are allowed to nuzzle

the reason for this was to keep users from making new accounts just to boost up their karam points by nuzzling themselves on alternate accounts

with the new system of registration though, i wonder if that is still in effect as it should be

but really, 25 posts seems like a fair number to me

Offline PrettyReckless

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 218
    • RecklessAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 02:26:52 pm »
To be honest, I think the 25 number thing is a great idea - it gave me time to figure out how to get to nuzzles etc when I was a little newbie myself. I had time to browse the forum, learn what nuzzling even was - along with the bite function when we still had it.
RETIRED.

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 05:37:14 pm »
I can see what you're getting at Doctor Flob. The only slight unfortunate thing I see about the 25 post limit before users can nuzzle is that most of us get the majority of our nuzzles from helping in the help thread and the majority of users who post in the help thread are newbies. Most newbies who post in the help thread also only post once or twice in the forum and aren't active users of the forum. When I first started using the forum a while back I was a bit disappointed that I could not return a nuzzle as thanks for the help that Ruby gave me on presets especially since she went out of her way to give me a very detailed explanation.

Still I can see more of a plus side in the current 25 posts before nuzzles though. For one it can provoke users to want to use the forum more often so that they can gain more privileges but also like CloudFish mentioned it would prevent or at least discourage some users from making multiple accounts to gain floof.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 05:39:18 pm by LordSuragaha »

Offline LiesUnderOath

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
  • Accidentially intentional.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 09:30:18 pm »
It annoyed me a bit at first, I was trying to nuzzle someone who helped me greatly, but I had to wait until I became a junior member to use it. x3

But looking back, I think the 25 post thing is a great idea. This way, new members can explore the forum and actually become part of it, instead of simply floofing someone and never checking the thread again. And as you've all said, it discourages them from making multiple accounts to give themselves loads of karma. .-.

Besides, it isn't hard at all to gain the first few posts needed to rank up, as long as they keep active on the forum.

Offline Tessel.

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 54
  • and this time, we're gonna get funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 09:32:56 pm »
It is 25 posts where they are allowed to nuzzle

the reason for this was to keep users from making new accounts just to boost up their karam points by nuzzling themselves on alternate accounts

with the new system of registration though, i wonder if that is still in effect as it should be

but really, 25 posts seems like a fair number to me

Yes. People will take advantage of it and make new accounts just to abuse the nuzzle button :P

Siggy and avi by me. PM me if you need anything, friends.

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 11:44:21 am »
I think most have mentioned the reason behind the 25 post requirement.

Just a note though, even though we don't have negative karma anymore, giving nuzzles over the most tiniest of things is not really how it should be either so learning why the function is there is really the better option.

Seen users in the past giving nuzzles to users just because they felt sorry for themselves when breaking the board rules, or just because the replied to a thread. Not really because what they had to bring for a discussion, nor because of good deeds. As much as spreading the luffles with the nuzzles can be good I don't see how nuzzling users over the tiniest of things but also telling users "I gave you a nuzzle :D" I don't think it should work that way either, honestly feel like some would try to score cheap points and even getting a shot at getting a nuzzle back. And if the user themselves are new they might just exact do so.

This might not go for all forum users who like to mention they gave a nuzzle, but in many cases this is how it turns out to work.

The 25 post requirement is really a stable a good function to sort out so the Karma doesn't get abused in any way but still remain with some purpose and fun. This function has been modified several times since the site launch and this change I don't see any reason to remove.
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline Fallenleaf

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 12:06:47 pm »
As a newbie- I think the 25 post limit is great. As Ressy said, it let the time to reflect and learn about it.
It's just, you need to learn how to use it, or it would be a complete mess :3

Offline Alaskan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 01:30:00 pm »
Hur... when I was a newbie I nuzzled only kind and helpful users. xD

But yes, I think I'd be better if you only nuzzled users who acted very kind and helped you or someone else.

~~Allie

Offline SilverTW

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 54
  • Inactive account
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 06:20:33 am »
Very helpful at 25 posts, to stop people from getting a floof from themselves to themselves.

This account is no longer in use, and any messages sent to here will not be read. If you need to reach me, head to https://softdiamond.net

Specialized in FeralHeart Maps,Presets,Objects,Mods,Markings,Textures and MORE.
Video Maker and more!