Author Topic: RANTING. :/  (Read 5698 times)

Offline FireRonin

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
    • View Profile
RANTING. :/
« on: January 30, 2013, 09:48:27 pm »
I cannot believe the rudeness of some people on this forum. People post mods, or other things, and obviously ask for feedback. But if you tell them your view of the product (in a polite manner) they get all defensive and rude about it.It just  doesnt make sense to me. If many people are having an issue with your MOD, fix it, or take it down. Dont be rude to them and suggest that they fix it themselves or say That the person obviously isnt doing it right. Or that we have a low end computer system and thats our problem.
I hate this crap. :/ rant done.

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
Re: RANTING. :/
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 10:35:30 pm »
Yeah while I don't see this happening often on this forum I have seen it once or twice but most especially on DA. It's called constructive criticism people and some people need to understand that their creations and designs are not perfect. We are all here as a community and we should all be able to freely share ideas and teach one another. I can understand anger and arguments starting if someone or a group of people are just plainly bashing someones creation or idea without giving a proper critique or explanation to their feelings. Then that's just wrong but if the users who download these mods are politely explaining that the mod causes issues then it's the responcibilty of the person who made the mod to kindly address that individual and try to sort out the problem.

Example: some mods make the game too dark so I've seen people complain about that. If the person that created the mod sees that more than one person is having this same complaint they should take it upon themselves to improve the mod not rant about how if people don't like it to just uninstall your game then... That's a rude & lazy remark. I've even seen these people ignore or scold someone who asks for help with installing their content. It's really sad to see this especially since these individuals who create this content should be flattered individuals want to use their things in the first place. If you decide to share your creations on the forum for mass use you should be ready & patient to tend to your "customers".

Infact here's what those mod creators should do if they don't want people to complain or be confused:
-test out your mods better before releasing them. Think practical but stick to quality.
-include obvious and well written thorough help files with the downloads. These files should be easy to understand and read especially for beginners who don't usually download & install custom content.
-take the time to include plenty screenshots of your mod so people can make a proper choice if they want the mod or not just by inspecting your screenshots. I often see people posting downloads with no screenshots or limited screenshots.
-take the time to post a small tutorial under your mod post of how to correctly install your mod (not just a help file in the download but an actual small tutorial on your posts that vividly shows in screenshots how to install STEP by STEP. Just because you think it's easy doesn't mean it's easy for a young kid or new comer to this stuff. Some people get overwhelmed with anything techy so think outside of your own capabilities and skills
-be honest about your mod or creation. If it's got some flaws tell us so people aren't blindly diving into a bugged or glitchy mod. If it might lag a system let us know.
-if worst comes to worst include in your post a separate download of the defualt files of the game that your mod replaces that way if the individuals who downloaded your mod do not want it anymore they can simply download the default files back on your same post... (no stress no tears no explanations and no uninstalling and reinstalling. It makes everyones life easier)

-semi rant over lol
Good points btw Zar
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 10:45:07 pm by LordSuragaha »

Offline Feareh

• The Jaguar Artist
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 195
  • Where is the Walrus Species?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 11:07:46 pm »
<_<... Well I'm not going to rant as long as Lord did, but everything he says is 99% true. Constrictive criticism is a huge part of just making improvements on something. Without that, you wouldn't make it in any kind of professional career. Yes, some people are rude about it, and yes some people have no common scenes to process that what ever they say might be hurtful. But it's the way is it when you post anything on the Internet really..some will like...and some won't.
But like Lord said, try not to take there criticism to hard. Modifying it before actually posting it up on the Internet, or get opinions from close friends before outing something up. Like take me for example...I do have a tendency in telling the truth when critiquing projects in class. And sometimes, I say good things, and then point it the flaws.

Moral of the story, you are going to run into rude critiquing people. It's just how it is really :p
I Stalk from time to time...I have moved on to other things but do miss this place. Good times
Add me on discord:
Bakujio 🐺#7358

Offline FireRonin

• Experienced Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 04:51:50 pm »
Thanks Guys, and Yes you both make more valid points~ You seem to have grasped exactly what I was talking about. ^^

Offline wolffox

• COOL MOM
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 188
  • icon by T0XIIIC, sig by Bawfle <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 06:39:23 pm »
Some users also might want to keep in mind that the rules ask all floofs on our forum to be polite and respectful to each other. If you see any rudeness going on and/or getting out of hand, let us know and we'll see what's going on. :)

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 09:02:47 pm »
Everyone's already said what I'm thinking XD

Constructive critisism is one thing, but being rude and annoying is another. No one likes rude and annoying people, and if someone posts a comment on a person's mod that is rude and annoying, what are the chances of the creator listening to that person? Very low in my opinion; if someone was posting some feedback on one of my mods, I'm more likely to listen and take in what they say if they are being polite and respectful. If they're being a complete orifice (that's a new one XD), I'll be too annoyed that they're being annoying for me to listen to them.

Being chilled out, polite and considerate is what makes your voice heard. You don't see the peoples in the houses of Parliament yelling childish, vulgar insults at each other do you?

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

Offline FireRonin

• Experienced Traveler
    • View Profile
---
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 10:44:19 pm »
---
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 11:51:56 pm by FireRonin »

Offline Nemena

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 01:10:41 am »
Oof, those that can't deal with constructive criticism always make me cringe- especially when they're dishing out their own harsh comments! I see it frequently on art sites such as deviantART. It's a shame; constructive criticism's brilliant for improvement- I'd kill for some myself!

I've just seen it happen in-game, too. For example, about an hour ago, I saw someone calling the perfectly literate roleplayer nearby (it was a lovely post- just a little shy of a paragraph!) illiterate for not using lengthy, overly complicated words (and Wolfspeak!)- when the vast majority of the enormous words (everyone seems to scintillate their cinctures) they used themselves were completely wrong and misspelt entirely! I politely offered them constructive criticism, gently correcting one of their statements- and also iterating that they should rely more on a dictionary than a thesaurus; they needlessly used incredibly complex words! They then flung around a dozen insults and reported me.  If there's a ban-... :-[

Even then, politeness is the key! Saying "that sucks" doesn't help either party, but instead saying "that looks a little off because of X, perhaps you could do Y to fix it" is leagues more helpful!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 01:26:04 am by Nemena »

Offline SilverTW

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 54
  • Inactive account
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 03:25:57 am »
It's a sad reality, but there's always going to be people being rude and being all defensive, even though it happens, you just have to ignore it then. As a mod creator, what Lord says is very true. I always test my mods before uploading them. It's the number one way for better stuff.

This account is no longer in use, and any messages sent to here will not be read. If you need to reach me, head to https://softdiamond.net

Specialized in FeralHeart Maps,Presets,Objects,Mods,Markings,Textures and MORE.
Video Maker and more!

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 01:13:07 am »
Not sure what the initial poster went through to be fair.

But to add a twist to your lovely post I know for a fact that there's been users claiming to give "constructive criticism", but the truth is I'm not sure they know what that words stands for. In the end it just ends up in a nagging wall of text or list of complaints instead of how to actually improve or sort the matter at hand. This gets very tiresome, especially if the person at hand doesn't excuse or calm down as you give them your side, explaining what they can do to avoid just as negative replies back.

But it really is true as mentioned above that you need to be able to take constructive criticism in order to grow, even I can admit that if we went back in time I wouldn't call me any good on receiving it, it takes time to be able to think over such words and feedback, but in the end it's really up to you to either ignore, or listen to it.

Some are really horrible at giving constructive criticism though and expect people to just bend like a paper for it instead of throwing ideas and thoughts between one another, which is just as much as a problem as those who cannot receive. If you want to get anywhere though with anything in this life you will need to listen to what others have to say at one point though even if it doesn't ring that good in your ears as you wanted it to.

Tis a nice little thing to think about.
Former community manager of FeralHeart