Author Topic: Illiterate role-players!  (Read 13845 times)

Offline Nemena

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Illiterate role-players!
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 11:03:41 pm »
I am not being judgemental about people who don't type as much as others

illiterate at times meaning i'll only post about 2 sentences

But-... You yourself called two sentences illiterate, when it couldn't be further from the truth on a chat-based roleplay! I'm sorry for pointing it out, though! I'm a bit of a nut about roleplay and writing; labeling people as 'illiterate' is nothing but discouraging and demeaning. They should be encouraged to pursue their hobby and improve! :D (/carebear)

A short post in response to a paragraph can be annoying, but there's many reasons why it can happen:
  • They're inexperienced, young or not a native english speaker.
  • They prefer a succinct, shorter style of roleplay. This isn't being illiterate; a shorter style can be a preference! If they're not really up to the standard you prefer (ie, their posts are too small), politely excuse yourself or, if you haven't interacted with them, toddle elsewhere and look for someone else. Don't call them 'illiterate'. It might take some poking to find someone's your cup of tea; there's no need to roleplay with them if you don't enjoy it!
  • You've not given them much to reply to; your paragraph's content might be full of unnecessary description that doesn't engage the other player; they'll have nothing to say. Your character's thoughts, description that doesn't add to the roleplay (eg: Wolfspeakers are fond of describing each muscle's movements to make themselves seem knowledgeable, as opposed to keeping their posts relevant to the situation) etc.
  • They've never roleplayed with a paragraph roleplayer before and don't know what to do!

I understand what you mean, though; I do wince when I'm given a one or two word reply in response to my paragraph! It's not really that fun for me, either. :P Even so, when you're randomly roleplaying with strangers, it's a risk you take; you can get the perfect roleplay you desire with friends, as opposed to trying to lather your preferable standards of 'good' roleplay on a stranger! I honestly prefer one to three paragraphs myself, but if someone who prefers to write shorter replies approaches me, I'll try my best to accommodate them for a little while before pluddering onwards to see if there's someone else who has the same preferences as me!

There's many fish in the sea; it's just about finding people you enjoy roleplaying with! If their posts are too short for your enjoyment, just leave them be. :)

Offline Killian

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • Something smart and mysterious.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 01:57:19 am »
Self proclaimed ''literates'' that think length is everything when it comes to RP are so wrong it's annoying. When I RP I think a lengthy post is about two paragraphs (a paragraph here being FH's text limit). I try not to post more then one paragraph or I think it's on the verge of being a ''TL;DR'' moment.

Honestly if I have to wait for someone to finish posting three paragraphs I get annoyed, it's like they forget we have to wait. I would rather RP with someone that posts about two lines, at least then the RP can move along at a nice pace, no waiting around for someone to explain in GREAT detail about how their tail and ear flicked. I left a pack due to this problem today, I had to wait for three different people to post a massive four paragraphs -each- before I could go myself, it was at least 15 minutes before I went. I think I got about six posts in for the three hours I RP'd with them.

Plus illiterate has nothing to do with how much someone can write, it's more to do with the ability to read and write... And you don't want to be insulting people with disabilities now. I despise how people use that term on this game.

Laziness with posts doesn't bother me much, if they should have followed up with more information I just ask for it. It can be annoying but RPing is meant for fun, it's not meant to be an English lesson.

Offline Slyphshadow

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 04:10:49 am »
What really boils my blood when it comes to this kind of discussion is exactly it's topic. Now, Illiteracy has little to do wit the ammount posted, rather it's content. Now While I agree one should not take ages to describe exactly how one's ear has flickered or tail has wagged I appriciate the deeper detail in scenery, and actions. I feel this makes it clearer and makes the RP more vivid so you could see thigns happening rather than just reading it and knowing.

When RPs claim literacy I hate when it's a group of young, or possibly foreign idividuals who do not understand the english language enough to spell correctly, form decent sentances, or literally are so lazy,a nd uncaring for decent RPing that they do not post but one sentance to a more lengthy response. To me when someone posts 3-4 sentances and another responds with one, it's like shooting them in the foot saying: "Hey, I don't care if you actually put effort into an RP that's not even yours to begin with, I'm gonna give you crap in return"

That friends is rudeness, and it REALLY ROYALLY ticks me off when I see it.

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 04:50:33 am »
He swished his tail back and fourth, "Mhm, good for you." He grumbled. As he laid down lowly ignoring almost everything he was saying, slowly drifting off.

Yeah its not much, but its not illiterate!

As far as I'm concerned, that seems pretty literate to me. That's how I often times type in a roleplay with some good roleplay friends. It's not fancy and all, but it's short, simple, easy to understand, and can go with the flow. Why some people consider that kind of roleplaying to be illiterate, I will never understand.
Inactive

Offline Celeyan

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 50
  • ?? f?????? ?????'? ??f?? ??
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 07:33:44 pm »
Well, most of the time, I don't really enjoy if I write a nice good-sized post and get  small sentence back, it doesn't give me much to base off of. I like to write a lot to make sure people have something to base of of- and when they do it back it makes me feel better knowing I don't have to guess.

For example, what if your first doing a roleplay, you'd want to describe the setting and what not, right?

The dim light of the sun began invading the entrance to the small cave like formation, lighting up the grass that lay below the overhang that protected the young female wolf from the sunrise. The light began to creep towards the sleeping female, who lay, slightly submerged in the grass that weakly protested her weight. The morning was slowly coming, and as the female began to stir- the sunlight began to shine into her eyes, making her wince slightly and roll over with a small groan. As she blinked her weary eyes open- she let a yawn escape from her mouth, and she rolled over as she realized she wouldn't be able to go back to sleep now that she was awake. The rather tall canine winced a little at the sunlight- and squinted to allow her eyes to readjust to the sunlight that invaded even the back of the overhang. As she began to get used to it, she walked out of her new-found home, crouching a little due to the fact the overhang was slightly short. Nakira remembered running about near this formation, prancing in the grass and the flowers, and rolling and wiggling about as she relished in puppyhood memories, before she collapsed under the comfort of the rock. A nice home to live in, a new territory, all these excited the female, mostly due to the fact she had lost her old home to a pack of wolves who wanted to claim it for their own.

It gives the person much to base off of, like they could put them waking up, have some detail, then they could even venture off, making their post longer until they find my character, then they could post their reaction and maybe their introduction to my character. c: Then it continues on.

I also think literate means something like:

He swished his tail back and fourth, "Mhm, good for you." He grumbled. As he laid down lowly ignoring almost everything he was saying, slowly drifting off.

is nice and very literate, its very good. c: I wouldn't mind a post like that.

Offline Hotdogsrule

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • i eat cereal at 6 pm
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 08:09:05 pm »
Honestly, they bug me a bit too, just the lack of care, but literacy isn't personality, and even if they can be a little annoying at times, I do have a few illiterate friends. (They're never on the forums, don't worry. xD) Although, I tend not to roleplay with them for obvious reasons, and when/if they request of me to join their roleplay or whatever they have, I must politely decline in the means of me being "busy".

bork
(i don't even like hotdogs)

Offline Scapette

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 10:55:07 am »
If you ask me literacy does not matter of how long your posts are. In my mind, I'm pretty sure literacy consists of people having the right spelling, punctuation and capitalization. Let me post some samples.

"The fae sat down and wondered what itd be like to be a human "i relly do wonder wot happens as a humen" she hummed this qestion had ben in her mind lately foar a while"

Now, I know most people on here don't spell that horribly, but anyway. Yes, they did a long post but it seems they were too worried about the quantity that they didn't notice at all about, well, their actual grammar and literacy skills!

Here is another sample:

"The female wolf sat down, and wondered if she could become human, like those werewolves around her."

It may be one sentence, but it's got literacy and grammar! Also, if people were to step in and go calling people illiterate just because their posts are short, I'd just stand on the RPers side. Also, if you people do get called names or illiterate, just either block the person or ignore them! There is no point of fighting over how somebody roleplays, because, honestly, that is quite pathetic if you ask me. (No offense.) Because, to sum it up, once upon a time none of us knew how to even spell "car" for example, so don't go judging people for what they have not learnt yet! The only reason I don't RP often with "illiterate" people, is because they are hard to understand, but I still do try to at times! :3 And as Hotdogsrule had said, "literacy isn't personality". I know plenty of people who lack the grammar and literacy skills people expect them to have, and they have a better personality than most of the people who judge them! But, overall, they will learn some skills on the way if people try to teach them.

Huehuehue.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 11:01:33 am by Zali,.,, »

I CAME IN LIKE A WREEEEEEEEEECKING BAWWWWL

Offline Vessan

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 06:22:54 pm »
Stop abusing the word illiterate and literate. Most of the people in the game are somewhat literate! If they would be literate, they would not even be able to understand what you post, nor write back in at least partially-decent grammar!

First of all I don't mind anyone that has awful grammar, yet is perfectly understandable! C'mon the difference is smaller than low and high German!
If they have a good reason for it, good for them, more reason to help them improve, maybe even learn some good English in a fun way! Unless it is a person with his mother tongue is English, has no disorder and writes: leik dis, al dA time5.
But that's that.

Anyway I highly disagree with the current naming of roleplays, literate, semi-lit and illiterate. Seriously it should rather be:
Bunny paced-fast paced-medium paced-slow paced-turtle paced
See? Far better :)

I generally rp anything, I do prefer those lovely fast paced rp's, they are the ones I started with, now I am stuck with a rp that demands at least 3 paragraph per rp post. You know at what time we finish a fight, hunt, a simple conversation? In two hours! I don't have that much time, I rather hang out with those 'illiterates' people love to pick on.
But to be honest...I rp anything If I post a 1 1/3 of a paragraph and receive back one sentence, well...I Adapt and rp in their style. It is my disorder, I adapt without noticing I even adapted to their rp style. So I ask most of you evil, evil, evil self proclaimed literate roleplayers that pick on other wee members to stop it, It is not nice and think about it! What if someone would complain about your style or roleplaying, offending you and stuff?

That's that, I am a tolerant person, but I do get hussy when I find hypocriticy when people that do equally bad roleplay post harass other 'bad' posters, when there is a demand you must post a certain amount the first person doesn't reach, even after telling so.

But for now I mus say we need more actions, this way short rp's can get more lively and you can experiment with actions and emotions ON your char and not in a silly text block you have to wait for nine minutes.
I will stick with everything, I love all kinds of rp's but the fast-paced one will always have a special place in my heart, I live a fast paced life in rl too, so I feel most comfortable with this <3
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 06:24:51 pm by Vessan »

Sir Equius

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 10:07:56 pm »
If you ask me literacy does not matter of how long your posts are. In my mind, I'm pretty sure literacy consists of people having the right spelling, punctuation and capitalization.

Stop abusing the word illiterate and literate. Most of the people in the game are somewhat literate! If they would be literate, they would not even be able to understand what you post, nor write back in at least partially-decent grammar!

First of all I don't mind anyone that has awful grammar, yet is perfectly understandable! C'mon the difference is smaller than low and high German!
If they have a good reason for it, good for them, more reason to help them improve, maybe even learn some good English in a fun way! Unless it is a person with his mother tongue is English, has no disorder and writes: leik dis, al dA time5.
But that's that.

Anyway I highly disagree with the current naming of roleplays, literate, semi-lit and illiterate. Seriously it should rather be:
Bunny paced-fast paced-medium paced-slow paced-turtle paced
[/color]

I couldn't agree more with these posts. It seems like people forget what illiteracy really means on this game. If someone was "illterate" they wouldn't even be playing this game, since it requires typing. I don't mind roleplaying with someone who doesn't use proper punctuations. As long as I can understand what they are telling me, I'm cool with it.

Offline F a t a l

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2013, 03:26:30 am »
Post length does not define literacy. Just because someone doesn't type an entire paragraph in each post does not make them illiterate. If they can spell well and have a fairly good understanding of grammar, they are not illiterate.
Found in-game as F a t a l
Frequently hanging around on characters Daiquiri and Paenitere.