Author Topic: Illiterate role-players!  (Read 13847 times)

Offline Vespian

• An Unsightly Beast
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 242
    • View Profile
Re: Illiterate role-players!
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2013, 04:17:30 am »
Lesser experienced members (or what some would call 'illiterates') don't really bother me, as long as I don't get involved with them. Only then will I grow annoyed. Most of the time, I merely sit idly by and keep an eye on them in-case they might break a rule or two. Other than that, they're just innocent kiddies seeking a good time.
gone

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2013, 03:08:06 am »
Lesser experienced members (or what some would call 'illiterates') don't really bother me, as long as I don't get involved with them. Only then will I grow annoyed. Most of the time, I merely sit idly by and keep an eye on them in-case they might break a rule or two. Other than that, they're just innocent kiddies seeking a good time.

I don't really think it's fair to shun them away like that, or assume that they will break any game rules. People who aren't as experinced in roleplay (or "illiterate" as most would say) are NOT always "kiddies"! Some may have a disability, or English is not their first/best language to speak. I once roleplayed with someone who couldn't speak very good English, because he was Greek. He was called "illiterate" by some people. He wasn't a kid either, he was my age. I also roleplayed with someone who was Czech, and they had a hard time with English too sometimes.

Who says that these "illiterates" are necesarrily going to break any rules? It's a good thing you are keeping watch for rule breakers out in the game, kudos to you for that. But assuming that some "illiterate" people are more likely going to break the rules more than some other roleplayers is really unfair. That, to me, sounds like profiling/stereotyping. I've roleplayed with people who weren't the best at typing, but they played pretty well and did no powerplaying/godmodding or rule breaking whatsoever. The only ones that do bother me are the powerplayers/godmodders and rule breakers. That's it!

Whenever I see someone shunning someone away because their roleplay experience isn't all that great, it just makes me think of the pompus, self-proclaimed professional roleplayers that blew me off rudely and mocked me because I misspelled a word or two in my roleplay post. I HATE being reminded!
But if you don't like mingling with someone less experienced than you, that's your choice. I just think you could teach them a thing or two about improving their RP skills, instead of giving them the cold shoulder.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 03:09:44 am by Lady_Alizarin »
Inactive

Offline Vespian

• An Unsightly Beast
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 242
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2013, 03:28:06 am »

I don't really think it's fair to shun them away like that, or assume that they will break any game rules. People who aren't as experinced in roleplay (or "illiterate" as most would say) are NOT always "kiddies"! Some may have a disability, or English is not their first/best language to speak. I once roleplayed with someone who couldn't speak very good English, because he was Greek. He was called "illiterate" by some people. He wasn't a kid either, he was my age. I also roleplayed with someone who was Czech, and they had a hard time with English too sometimes.

Who says that these "illiterates" are necesarrily going to break any rules? It's a good thing you are keeping watch for rule breakers out in the game, kudos to you for that. But assuming that some "illiterate" people are more likely going to break the rules more than some other roleplayers is really unfair. That, to me, sounds like profiling/stereotyping. I've roleplayed with people who weren't the best at typing, but they played pretty well and did no powerplaying/godmodding or rule breaking whatsoever. The only ones that do bother me are the powerplayers/godmodders and rule breakers. That's it!

Whenever I see someone shunning someone away because their roleplay experience isn't all that great, it just makes me think of the pompus, self-proclaimed professional roleplayers that blew me off rudely and mocked me because I misspelled a word or two in my roleplay post. I HATE being reminded!
But if you don't like mingling with someone less experienced than you, that's your choice. I just think you could teach them a thing or two about improving their RP skills, instead of giving them the cold shoulder.

Oh no m'lady, you seem to have read me a bit wrongly. I suppose that would be my fault considering the fact I did not get thoroughly in detail. My apologies for that. I have, in fact, taught some lesser experienced members a thing or two in the past. I do not hate/dislike them. Not at all. What I mean is normally when there are some individuals who struggle, or fail to understand, the english language, in my years of FeralHeart there has most of the time been a troll or two who is either lingering around them or becomes attracted into messing with them. Why when I see illiterates, I get the urge to linger in the background just in case. Plus, like you've stated yourself, there are certain players who will bully, or pick, on players who are of a different language. Another reason why I lurk around, to make sure nothing rash stirs up. I am strongly against bullying/abuse etc so I give you my word that when I posted, I meant no harm at all.
When I say that I will grow annoyed when I get involved is I'm from Germany, so sometimes trying to decipher what they're trying to say can be a hassle for me at times. Thus, I will grow confused and not know what they are saying or trying to say to me. Though I do not show my annoyance, as I am not that crude.
For the 'calling them kiddies' bit, I call everyone a kiddie. It's similar as to how everyone around here calls each other a floof, I call everyone a kiddie from time to time. It wasn't meant to be used for calling someone young, but if you or anyone else is insulted by that, then I will gladly ease off and use the term 'floof' instead.
Again, my previous post wasn't used to be viewed as rash and if it was, then all fault burdens on my shoulders and I give my sincerest apologies.

Though, for the sake of this thread so it doesn't get locked my a MOD/Admin in case they view it turning into an argument thread, I'd appreciate it if you'd PM me if you are to respond to this. I respect you for correcting me on things and I'll keep that in mind before blindly posting like that again.
gone

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2013, 03:37:38 am »
Well.. when you put it that way....
There really is no argument going on here, Vespian. I just simply misunderstood you're point of view, so I must appologize as well. I just wanted to say a few things that I thought needed to be said, since I do often times roleplay with people of lesser experience. I have seen to many people bully others for silly little spelling and grammar mistakes, and have the nerve to lable them as "illiterate".
And I do applaude you for helping mentor people who could use some guidance when it comes to being better roleplayers. I think it would be better for people to take the time to show leser expereinced members some roleplaying tips. I will PM you in a second here to talk more.
Inactive

Offline sitkaaa

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • cutie with a bootie
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2013, 09:15:29 pm »
I, personally, believe illiterates could try harder, but wait, let me speak what my definition of illiterate means to me. Just because they have short posts doesn't mean they are illiterate. Even if they struggle with a post but try their best I'm fine with that! When I think of illiterates, I think of godmodders, powerplayers, and autohitters. They make me soo mad! Mention of short posts, posts such as 'eats' and 'rips open throat' really gets to me. When this happens I might make a much more lighter hit occur, but if they suddenly put 'kills no miss' or 'eats', that's when I tell them that it won't affect my character at all. If anybody replies, I might be a bit late, considering I'm more of a gamer, and don't check the fourms that often.

ha ha hey

Offline angelre0702

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 42
  • Been here a while.
    • killingcve
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2013, 09:23:17 pm »
Instead of using the term 'literate' for an advanced roleplayer I suggest people say advanced. In my opinion, this is an 'illiterate': *walks over to the dear smiles and swishes tail, constantly moving is tail while the dears eat* - That's an exact quote from a roleplayer I've happened upon in Bonfire Island. I'd consider this semi/advanced: 'The gentle lioness pawed her cub's head, extending her tongue to give it a proper bath.' (Also a quote.) The people in-game consider people as literate that use good grammar and words that many can't/do not understand. i.e: 'The fae brushed her pendulum across the Terra, luminaries gaze off into the horizon. Her metallic frame glinted in the blazing sunlight, the foliage filtered the sunlight casting an eerie glow upon her flank.' I believe that would be considered as the feral-heart term `literate`.

Feel free to disagree.

Offline F a t a l

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2013, 09:26:35 pm »
I, personally, believe illiterates could try harder, but wait, let me speak what my definition of illiterate means to me. Just because they have short posts doesn't mean they are illiterate. Even if they struggle with a post but try their best I'm fine with that! When I think of illiterates, I think of godmodders, powerplayers, and autohitters. They make me soo mad! Mention of short posts, posts such as 'eats' and 'rips open throat' really gets to me. When this happens I might make a much more lighter hit occur, but if they suddenly put 'kills no miss' or 'eats', that's when I tell them that it won't affect my character at all. If anybody replies, I might be a bit late, considering I'm more of a gamer, and don't check the fourms that often.

I'm not sure how I really feel about that definition of illiterate. When I think illiterate, I think of the literal definition, which is A person who is unable to read or write. Even if a person does powerplay, it does not mean that they can not read/write.
Found in-game as F a t a l
Frequently hanging around on characters Daiquiri and Paenitere.

Offline sitkaaa

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • cutie with a bootie
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2013, 11:50:32 pm »
I'm not sure how I really feel about that definition of illiterate. When I think illiterate, I think of the literal definition, which is A person who is unable to read or write. Even if a person does powerplay, it does not mean that they can not read/write.

Thought people might feel uneasy. I understand that, but, I don't think people who can't read or write should be considered illiterate. If you feel that way, I give you all my respect, but usually people who can't read or write are young or have mental disabilities, and I feel calling them illiterate is unfair, but yes, you are correct. The reason I feel it unfair for people who are young or have mental disabilities is because I'm not fond of illiterates. I don't mind when I come into their roleplay expectantly, or if they come into mine expectantly, but when they butt into my roleplay when I'm having a in game fight, that just ticks me off. Sorry if this seems a argument, because we both have different thoughts on the word illiterate, but, anyways, I do understand you. People who cannot read or write I'll consider illiterates as well.

ha ha hey

Offline Kona

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • Glitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2013, 04:50:03 pm »
I find it kind of annoying sometimes...like if you write this huge paragraph, and they reply with barely a sentence...Most of the time it's fine though, I do most Roleplay types, it just depends on who it is and what roleplay type they use. (Example the *'s or -'s from the paragraph ones etc.) It just depends I guess.

Signature by ISeeYou/GoldRadium