Author Topic: Idea for Presets & servers  (Read 4324 times)

Offline GhostingHowl

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 31
  • As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend.
    • View Profile
Idea for Presets & servers
« on: March 28, 2011, 01:40:30 am »
     Hello everyone, while perusing other threads here I came across someone who suggested an idea which would allow everyone to see presets that we have. That idea would be a second server only for presets. After doing some research, I discovered that this could actually be a viable alternative to putting presets on the server that we have now.

Because the server would only hold data, it wouldn't need to be an extremely powerful server. On top of that, it would only be holding a few GB of data. The speed of the server wouldn't have to be crazy either, only fast enough to keep up with the checks of the other server. This system, I know, could be programmed very efficiently. Such as only checking peoples presets if they are in front of you, and not loading the preset unless you are actually close enough to really see them. To keep the data level low, they could even implement a preset size limit. 500kb and below only, etc.

I know a major concern with presets is the fact that people would want to put more than one up. This is understandable, everyone usually has more than one character, and they want that character to look their best. A solution for this, I believe, would be how Minecraft does it. If anyone has played the game Minecraft, they most likely have made "skins" for themselves. These "skins" are very similar to presets. How this game handles it, is you can have however many skins you want, you just need to go to the website and re-upload a new skin when you want to use it. This basically takes your skin in the server, and replaces it. This means that everyone can have as many skins as they want, they just need to change them manually. This process takes no longer than a minute, and is very efficient in keeping everyone happy, while also keeping space on the sever low.

Even with this information though, I know that people will question the money aspect. That is a very big deal here, especially since servers do cost a good chunk of change to maintain. This is where my research came to a halt, however. I am most certainly a novice when it comes to servers and networking. I don't know how much it would cost to buy server space to host 6-7gb of data with decent speed. So I would love to invite anyone with good knowledge on this subject to discuss this idea.

Almost done xD
        Last thing, Kovu and Raz might have already explored these options and found that they wouldn't work, I don't know and am just putting my 10cents in here. I just thought that this MIGHT be a solution, maybe even a small one. So all you networking proz out there, go easy on me, im a networking newbie. :)

Offline Tigg

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Your right hand on 3D-Meshes
    • t-i-g-g
    • channel/UCKuFJTwBJf94Tq07oVBNMrA
    • TiggDarkfury
    • View Profile
    • Isla Thanatos Gameserver
Re: Idea for Presets & servers
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 11:36:31 pm »
http://feral-heart.com/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=2&jfile=index.php&topic=649.0

First Post explaines all why that cant be made. It would cost us ALOT.

Presetsize limit would be actually a limit to the users. That would mean they cant make their Preset how it should look like. So that would mean no point in having them.

But about the Server.

Server costs monthly with a set GB. Then you have to buy too the bandwith.

If everything, what you sed, goes to the point that they should be free, then no, it would never work.
If you say well pay a low bucks, then this Thread is very eh.. useless ^^" Since the First post in my Linked Thread explains it all.

If we get Presets on Server sometimes, then they will cost money. Thats already decidet a loong time ago~
And will most like use the "View"-System like you mentioned. Data is only loading if you go near a Preset.
All that still in work thou.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 11:38:54 pm by Tigg »

Offline GhostingHowl

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 31
  • As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 01:28:32 am »
I dont think this thread is useless, im just trying to suggest a system that would be MORE efficient than just putting presets on the server we have.
You say it would cost money to run another server, I know that. Im just putting forth ideas that could cost less overall. Do you know how much it would cost? You say it would cost "a lot" but have you actually ever bought a server? Im not doubting you, Im just wondering how experienced you actually are with them.

And I dont believe putting a limit on presets would limit the users too much. Its easy to lower the file size limit, just dont save your files with really high detail. I wouldn't be surprised if there are many ways you can lower file size by doing very easy things. But that wasn't really a point I was trying to push anyway, just a small suggestion.

Tyki Mikk

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 02:05:21 am »
I like your suggestion and I dont think its useless. Its reasonable and well thought out and not just some random "Hey this is cool and I like it!" kinda thing like some of the request threads Ive seen in the past. <.>

I dunno much about that technical stuff but it all sounds like it would work out... Or to an extent at least. Servers cost money, but Ive never actually seen any one post how much is "a lot of money" or "some bucks". I honestly wanna see just how much that is. Unless someone's already posted it and my memory is failing me this moment. xD

Offline Tigg

• Immortal Legend
    • t-i-g-g
    • TiggDarkfury
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 03:12:11 am »

Offline Aroxy

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 03:28:56 am »
Very interested in Razmirz's thoughts about this

slycan

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 03:40:25 am »
Sadly its -not- allowed to gift bucks to hold the server. Ogre forbids that, and without Ogre: No FH since its the main game engine.
TorchLight used OGRE engine and they allowed donations and the game itself even cost $20 - maybe I'm missing something.

Edit: Okay I just looked it up and now I'm 100% sure Ogre says nothing about this??

And besides - Preset sever would not =/= Game server , so we wouldn't be donating to the game anyway. we'd be donating to keep our "images" uploaded. And it could go on some other mods CPU - it doesn't have to be Raz.

idk - I'm still confused about this subject myself ..but the topics keep getting locked.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 03:48:30 am by Slycan »

Offline Tigg

• Immortal Legend
    • t-i-g-g
    • TiggDarkfury
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 04:38:13 am »

Tyki Mikk

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 08:30:10 pm »
I honestly dont see why a game engine would have anything to do with donations... Your not getting them through the game... Sorry just confused as to how donations have any to do with the game engine itself. It makes to sense to me. No offense.

(Goin off topic for a sec, no one get on my ass okay. I apologize.)
And Tigg, if its really bothering you just make a more detailed thread if you have too. I still dont see how its a question to be asked or answered now when the games been out for some time now. People should get it by now.
-You have to pay x amount of money to get your preset on the server. (Visable to everyone.)
-Preset tutorials (insert link) and any other important details.

Thats really all you have to say. If people are still asking questions after that than their just not using their brain.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 08:35:25 pm by Tyki_Mikk »

Offline razmirz

• The Janitor (Please contact other members of staff if necessary they will escalate issues to me)
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 302
  • Soul Nomming Goodness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 10:58:30 pm »
Please contact other members of staff if necessary they will escalate issues to me