Author Topic: Ban notification system  (Read 6638 times)

Offline GhostingHowl

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 31
  • As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend.
    • View Profile
Ban notification system
« on: April 12, 2011, 05:56:42 am »
Currently in FH, there seems to be a problem with banning. I'm not complaining about the mods or the rules, oh no, I am talking about the notification of bannings, or I should say, lack of notification.
I already posted about all this in another thread, but it kind of died, so I wanted to make a formal idea thread about this topic.

COPYPASTA TIEM:
"
As for warnings and notification, I believe it is totally unfair for someone to get banned and not be told why. Its just not fair in any case. When someone is arrested, the police HAVE to tell them what they are being arrested for. Its just a human right to know what you did wrong. Obviously banning isn't as serious as being arrested, but its still the same concept. Not everyone is telepathic, people honestly might not know what they did wrong, and banning them for something they don't know will NEVER help them learn not to do it again.

An easy solution for this in my mind, to keep mods safe and happy, would be to edit the system to tell you what you got kicked off for. For instance, when you get kicked out of the game, a window will pop up saying "You were kicked for swearing" or some such. I don't think that this would be hellatiously hard to program, and I think it could be made very easy for mods to fill out.
I don't know how mods kick right now, but im going to assume its with command lines. So an example for my idea would be:

/kick *username* "You have been kicked for swearing."

This would cause a window that pops up saying "You have been kicked for swearing." And maybe an 'okay' button that boots them to the main screen. "

And there is my idea. Feel free to post and comment / add your own ideas :33

Offline kahara

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 23
  • Assassin
    • View Profile
    • Impressive Hearts
Re: Ban notification system
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 03:13:45 pm »
I whole-heartily agree with this, all the way. I believe it is the users right to know why they have been banned, temporarily especially, because when they come back they can make sure not to repeat the mistake. You can not expect a community to learn by simply banning them and not explaining what they did wrong. You also can not expect them to know what they did wrong, because some people honestly do not know.

I know some people, including myself ( I refrain from doing so in game ) will curse and not realize it because it's out of habit, or it's just how we work.

Other such actions, well, you never know really. Saying "YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DID WRONG" is not only wrong in itself, it's sort of.. well, unjustified? Not sure if I'm using the right word there.

TL;DR - I agree 110%
Nuzzle me if you agree with me!
Bite me if you love me. (;

Offline GhostingHowl

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 07:18:56 pm »

Glad someone agrees, lol.

Offline NuclearParadox

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • The Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 10:26:37 pm »
I completely agree with this as well.  Too many times, I'll see people who were banned saying that they're confused, and have no idea what they were doing wrong.  Usually, this is followed by a mod saying "You know what you did wrong", "The mods make no mistakes", etc., and it's a bit irritating.  This kind of system would definitely lessen the amount of members confused about a banning.
In-game I am NuclearParadox.

Offline GhostingHowl

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 01:19:12 am »
Yay more agreement! It would be awesome if a mod saw this thread and agreed as well! *hint hint*

slycan

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 01:33:46 am »
~Supports~

How Bans Should Work = Mods should be keeping track of who they ban and why, some place hidden from the public forum though. From what I'm aware of though, this isn't currently how it works ( as people are banned and no one knows why half the time xD)

+ Also - People's who's accounts are banned from the Game SHOULD be banned from the FORUM aswell. I don't see why not when all they are going to do is come straight here to the forum and cry about it. (unless there was a Ban Appeal Section)

Ban Notification=  Should be sent to both Email AND Forum Account PM. Stating Why you are banned, Exactly WHERE it says in the Rules that you can get banned for it, and for HOW LONG you are banned for.

And Ban Appeal Section = if people are going to come here to the forums after being banned and start crying about it, I think there should atleast be a section for it since it seems to be happening so much. I've seen more threads saying " Why have I been banned?!" than threads talking about adding more animals x.x

JazzForLife

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 03:47:19 am »
I totally agree. Send a message to the people so they aren't confused. As stated before, so they wont make the mistake again. That would reduce the amount of people coming to the forum asking why they were banned and so forth. Yes, I deffinately think it should be sent to their email aswell. SO YES, I agree. Good idea.

Offline Frog0987

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • Welcome to my dreams of finalized Mortalization.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 06:52:24 am »
I agree with this, and would be overjoyed to have this in the game.

My friend had been kicked twice for no apparent reason, and she is about sick of it. She wants to know why she is being kicked so she can stop, so. >XD

But yes, this would be handy. It's common sense to let someone know what they are doing wrong when they are kicked or banned, instead of just having a random boot from the server. It would also clear up some confusion (as stated in above posts) of why I user was banned. If someone was banned from the game with no reason, more than likely they are going to trot on over here and inquire about it. But if that question is answered before it is even asked, then there; problem solved. XD

Plus, it would just be nice to know what you did wrong. I wouldn't want to be banned without a reason to go with it. Like if I got banned without a reason, I would automatically begin to think that the mods just hate me (if I don't get what I did wrong). >XD

And yes, an e-mail notification as well as a forum PM would be delightful. Some people seem to hang around their e-mail more than the actual forum, so that would be great to have the message sent to both sources. xD

/end ramble
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 06:59:23 am by Frog0987 »

Tyki Mikk

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 09:36:56 am »
Agree 100%. Theres one to many people complaining about how they dont know why they got banned and blah blah.

Some form of notification is exactly what we need and I dont see why it wouldnt be added in an update. As said before, its only fair to tell a person WHY they got banned and not just ban them because they did something YOU thought was wrong, but they were doing whatever it was unconsciously. I admit, I do swear sometimes and banning someone because they slipped up once is kinda stupid. I say ban them if they're swearing excessively.

But anyway, I think everything Sly has suggested is the way we need to go. A Ban Appeal section is much needed. -_-;

Babe

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 04:19:12 pm »
Agreed, 100%!