Author Topic: Mate Centers in Bonfire  (Read 3309 times)

Offline KibaWolf73

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
    • View Profile
Mate Centers in Bonfire
« on: January 03, 2013, 07:27:23 pm »
First, before we begin, I'd like to say that, despite the fact that I don't like the idea of a "Mate Center" (sitting all day in a circle waiting for your turn, instead of actually going to bond with people you have crushes on), I have nothing against the people who play as one, they might find it extremely fun/enjoyable. I actually joined one of the sessions for the sake of trolling. This thread is in no way mocking the Mate Centers or the people using them, for there are some people that actually find "true love" by using them.

Now, as we all know, there is almost always at least one Mate Center daily in Bonfire Island. But, when there happens to be two Mate Centers on at the same time, they both try to take eachother down. Why? For more "customers"? This is a game made for fun, not a full-time job, so I see no reason in these silly fights. Besides, a more reasonable way is working together for more "customers" (For example one of them pairing felines, while the other is pairing canines, or one taking care of straight people, while the other taking care of gay people.)

Now that I am done with my opinions, feel free to share your own.

Offline PrettyReckless

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 218
    • RecklessAce
    • View Profile
Re: Mate Centers in Bonfire
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 07:47:54 pm »
Well, first of all.. People do have different opinions on mate centers and such.

I remember back when I was a little nub running around in South Pole 'n all. I loved it when the mate center came around.
I honestly don't mind the mate center, as long as they aren't rude, spam or get up into my face.

People who go to the mate center are usually younger players, or new players who don't know how things could work on the game.
Perhaps some haven't seen most of the maps, different features or even stepped their foot into the Plains.
Some might not of ever joined an RP, but are searching their way through things.
I don't think you can figure out where, how or what to do without exploring both options and places.

I suppose it could be seen as 'wrong', but, to be honest. Those who don't want to join the mate center, don't have to.
They aren't required to if they don't want to.

It's started to amuse me how people always freak out when they see a mate center in the plains.
It doesn't happen too often that they'll come out to Fluorite, but it happens.

-----

I suppose they could actually have a better 'system', as there are different breeds and such.
But that would require more than one person, who would actually want to do this 'job'.
RETIRED.

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 08:34:06 pm »
Ah the dreaded mate center.
You can probably tell I'm not a big fan of the whole mate center thing. I can tolerate it unless the person 'running' the mate center doesn't spam general chat with posts like "MATE CENTER IN MIDDLE OF BONFIRE!!!!!" and, "MATE CENTER OPEN WE NEED MORE MALES!!!". That annoys me.

What I don't really understand is why the mate center came about in the first place. Why can't people just start conversations with people normally or meet in roleplay? I don't like how people need to pick up a mate at the mate center because they can't just go and sit by someone and have a proper conversation with no awkwardness, or join a roleplay and meet in roleplay. I think it's sad how people become so antisocial that they can't do these things.

And when there's two mate centers in the same map at once: do they argue on purpose or something? Because I really do not see why an arguement has to happen because of that. If it's for different species or different sexual orientations - fine. If it's not, just work together! When one mate center person has to leave, the other can take over. Simple. Don't fight.

Another thing; you genuinely don't know anybody at the mate center. Why would you want to suddenly become 'mates' with someone you know absolutely nothing about?! For all you know they could be some kind of pervert! This is why I'd rather have people meeting mates in RP or normal conversation because then at least you know something about the person you're becoming mates with.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 08:39:37 pm by DoctorFlob »

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

Offline reaganyeah

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Green Day, YUSH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 09:01:29 pm »
Ahhhh I totally agree with you. I really don't mind them, cause they usually hang around in Bonfire. I hate the caps spam! I remember attempting to sit in one. I was watching and I remember a male going in the middle and ALL of the females except me would go sit next to him. It was actually pretty amusing. It shows how desperate people are these days. IT KILLS ME. My friend actually found a mate from a mate center, and he ended up breaking her heart. He was overly attached, and would constantly yell at her for no reason. Most of the people that go there are normal at first, then they just change into a completely different person. Creeps. Just join an RP pack and get to know your crush before you actually ask them. Some females would actually change characters several times to impress a male. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? People in Mate Centers are practically judging people by their looks, not how they act, which scares me the most. Anyways, I agree!

Xx~GreenDay~xX

Offline KibaWolf73

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 02:37:35 pm »
@DoctorFlob

Exactly my point. And it's usually the caps-spam Centres that do in fact fight (actually I've never seen once a Mate Centre who doesn't caps-spam like that, they probably do that for attracting more "customers")

And it's probably a really desperate forever alone who started this frenzy. But we will never know, due to the amount of users in this game.

@Reagan

People modifying their character for somebody who doesn't even notice them? That's.. Desperate. It is, infact true that people do not get to know their personalities except after you do become mates, which seems pointless and usually leads to "relationship problems".

But again, there will always be trolls, there will always be forever alones, and ofcourse there'll always be Mate Centers. Some of the few things you can't get rid off, as long as people enjoy what they're doing.

Offline FeralFireHeart

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
  • ~ I Desire Fire ~
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 04:20:15 pm »
I don't know how long "Mate Centres" have been going on for, but considering the fact I don't go in Bonfire much, I must ask: is it a new thing, or has it been going on for let's say, 3 months?
I've seen "Adoption Centres" since I started playing the game, so I just want to know.....
Never in a million years would I actually "join"or "start" a centre of course, but there we have it ::)

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 04:26:48 pm »
I don't know how long "Mate Centres" have been going on for, but considering the fact I don't go in Bonfire much, I must ask: is it a new thing, or has it been going on for let's say, 3 months?
I've seen "Adoption Centres" since I started playing the game, so I just want to know.....
Never in a million years would I actually "join"or "start" a centre of course, but there we have it ::)

I think mate centers aren't particularly new but they're not that old. I think they first came about early in 2012. They certainly weren't here when I first joined. The whole 'mates' thing was a less...civilised back when I joined.
I suppose we can be thankful that the mate center has made Bonfire a bit more 'organised', so to speak.

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

Offline FantasyDawn

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
  • Lover of Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 04:32:00 pm »
It's just something that keeps going on and on.I got bored of it.And...how can they possibly think by just standing there,waiting for their turn,they will eventually find the love of their life?Like,90% the mate that will be chosen for them will surely be not the chosen one.

In the end,it's just a game and in games,everything is possible so theonly thing we can do is just let it be there for some people who enjoy it.

"Derpa-Derp."

Offline FeralFireHeart

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
  • ~ I Desire Fire ~
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 04:34:56 pm »
@Dr Flob
Exactly.
I agree, Bonfire isn't really as manic as it used to be.
But if you go into that map as a Lion King character, then dear God help you.
Last time I did that, gazillions of Nalas came up to me asking me to.... Well I'll leave that to your imagination~
I was Simba by the way.
Who knows, maybe it's changed now 'cause of that Centre ::)

Offline FantasyDawn

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
  • Lover of Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 04:42:03 pm »
@Dr Flob
Exactly.
I agree, Bonfire isn't really as manic as it used to be.
But if you go into that map as a Lion King character, then dear God help you.
Last time I did that, gazillions of Nalas came up to me asking me to.... Well I'll leave that to your imagination~
I was Simba by the way.
Who knows, maybe it's changed now 'cause of that Centre ::)
Nothing has really changed.Only the mate centers are kinda rare now or at least this is what I noticed because I don't go on Bonfire that much.One thing that I will regret my whole life,I got on my Kiara char and went there.....it ended in a disaster xD.

"Derpa-Derp."