Author Topic: Direct3D9 crashes my game and I can't find a solution.  (Read 1426 times)

Elizabeth

Direct3D9 crashes my game and I can't find a solution.
« on: March 20, 2020, 12:04:37 am »
Wanted to mod my game with an EMB mod, so obviously I need to turn my video settings from OpenGL to Direct3D9. However, every time I attempt to do this, the game crashes within one second. If I attempt to open it again, a window pops up putting me back to OpenGL settings. All I want is to do is switch the setting and try out this mod... I've looked all over the internet, far and wide and I can't find a solution.

All of my drivers and libraries are entirely up to date, so it doesn't have to do with any of that. If anyone could help me out with this, I'd be very thankful~

Offline leda

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 35
  • leedle lee my dudes
    • https://rookfox.deviantart.com
    • View Profile
Re: Direct3D9 crashes my game and I can't find a solution.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 12:51:59 am »
Have you set your feralheart settings lower, or tried the light install version of the game for this mod?
You can lower settings by the main menu and clicking options, then video, then uncheck reflections and turn down view distance.
Unfortunately this current version of feralheart is running on a rather old and poor version of ogre so there is the possibility of it not being compatible for you or your computer.

You should also try deleting any old maps or files you no longer use, as loading an ENB with a lot of exported files may not be helping with this.

Best of luck!
find me in game as user leda, or see my feral heart dA, rookfox.deviantart.com !

Elizabeth

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 01:17:56 am »
Tried lower settings and nothing changed.

The light version? Do you mean 32 bit?

I wonder if my older laptop might be better for Feral Heart. I can't believe such a popular game hasn't been updated for more advanced computers.

Offline leda

• Experienced Traveler
  • leedle lee my dudes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 01:23:53 am »
We haven't exactly had the means until just recently to update it, trust me the developers themselves can't believe it either, hah.

When you install the game you are given an option to install a lighter version, which may be more adapted for an ENB mod.  ^^;  Perhaps move your current files into another folder on your desktop and reinstall with a light version, then try the mod!
find me in game as user leda, or see my feral heart dA, rookfox.deviantart.com !

Elizabeth

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 02:05:36 am »
Did all of that and nothing changed...

It's good to hear the developers at least still care about this project.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 02:08:33 am by Elizabeth »

Offline leda

• Experienced Traveler
  • leedle lee my dudes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 02:11:22 am »
Yes you'd likely have to uninstall first, but you can duplicate your current installs onto your desktop to just chuck into the lighter version.

When it crashes are you given a specific error or anything, or simply "feralheart.exe has stopped working" type deal?

You could perhaps try taking out files from your exports temporarily or removing items if you have those, to localize the problem a bit and see if either of those are interfering with your ENB.

Elizabeth

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 02:16:02 am »
When I change the setting from OpenGL to Direct3D9 and close the game, I attempt to reopen it only to have it open up on a black screen for a split second and then immediately close. No error or anything shows up. I run the application again and it opens with the OpenGL rendering menu. I click the continue button and it opens the game as normal, but the options have been reset to their defaults.

Offline leda

• Experienced Traveler
  • leedle lee my dudes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 02:25:55 am »
Okay, noted, just two more questions!
1.  Have you been able to previously run Direct3D9 before this ENB?
2.  When it starts back up and forces you to choose OpenGL, does a window come up showing that that's selected and options for it?  If so, try clicking cancel, the next time you run it it should open up a direct3D9 window with options you can adjust to see if it will help render your ENB.

If you aren't getting this window I will look into how to force it to open.

You can also try opening your ogre.cfg file in your main feralheart folder with a text editing program (right click and click "open with" and select something like notepad) and change rendering system = OpenGL rendering subsystem to rendering system = Direct3D9 rendering subsystem

Elizabeth

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 02:38:30 am »
1. Nope. I never have been able to run Direct3D9 before or after the mod install.
2. Yes. I recognize the window. I clicked cancel and reopen the application and indeed got the new Direct 3D9 window you're showing me. I clicked OK and it just closed, opened the game for half a second, and crashed. Any further attempts to open the game lead me back to the OpenGL rendering system window and the cycle continues until I click OK on the OpenGL window.

I tried your method with messing with the ogre.cfg file and it still doesn't work. The same cycle repeats.

Offline leda

• Experienced Traveler
  • leedle lee my dudes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 03:57:09 am »
I know it’s not a great situation but if you weren’t able to run in direct3D9 without an ENB I’m not sure why it would work now with one ): I’ve heard a few cases of some computers simply not running one of the provided subsystems, it sometimes happens because ogre is simply an inconsistent and older system.
I’ll try to look around to see if anyone’s had any luck in getting direct3D9 to function instead of just OpenGL, when I have a moment here soon, but this may be another unfortunate shortcoming of the game that needs to be noted for future updates.