Author Topic: How to make Bears and Deer in FH  (Read 8978 times)

Offline marzishadow

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • The Tumble Mouse
    • View Profile
    • Marzi's DeviantArt
How to make Bears and Deer in FH
« on: November 12, 2012, 02:10:03 am »
Bear and Deer

As you know, equines and ursols cannot be played in FH however, there are a few tricks to get the look you want for your character. Some of my tactics could be debateable but I am using my best effort to create the look similar to these animals.

Ursas

You may debate that the feline model should be used for bulkier bear-like bodies, but bears have similar faces to wolves than felines, therefore I thought they would appear better if I used the canid model rather than the feline.

As you can see my bear is a bit reddish, however, it really does not matter what color your bear is as long as it appeals to you and depending on what bear you're trying to recreate. In that case you'll just change the color and maybe add markings.

My bear has a fairly short muzzle, thick nose, large forehead, slightly smaller eyes, and smaller ears to help give the face a more bearish look.
It also is pretty large, but that is up to depending on your bear and age. I realize my bear is not as long as it could be but at first I thought it looked better but now I realize it would be better if I had made it even with the other size controls.
I used a full tuft to give it a fluffy look and hyena ears for roundish ears.
Obviously my bear is tailess, personally I don't think it matters if you have a nubby tail or not, it doesn't make much of a difference.
I used black eyes, but again, this can be up to you this is just my reccomendation.
I used no markings, but I found no need for them with this bear, however for other ursas you may want markings.
For coloration the only thing I would highly reccomend is making the nose a fairly dark color, if not, black.

Here is a screen cap of my bear in game.
This lovely bear is named West.

Deer
Please do not use this tutorial is in inaccurate and there are better ones now! c:

Deer are cervines, and I see most players use canines for this, even though they cannot have hooves, maybe someone will make a hoof item one day to go along with the antlers.
For the deer I would go for a longer muzzle, flatter cheeks, deffinetly thicker nose, and a larger forehead.
Ears are also quite large and aslo the back type, because deer have ears that are on the side of their head.
Smaller eyes and weight, size is up to you, but deffinetly larger than average.
No tail and no fluff, deer have smooth bodies like most equines.
Eyes are up to you but I do reccomend black.
For markings, females tend to have spotted patterns while males have none, this is up to you but I do recommend no markings for males, atleast on the body.
Items; obviously only males have antlers, I am tired of seeing does in game with antlers.
Deer mostly only come in shades of brown, however this is up to you in making your character unique and orignal.
Again, I recommend making the nose black.

Here is my example of a deer in game.
Her name is Evanthe and she belongs to me. Do not copy her please.

And remember, they can't sit.

You may request more animal tutorials if you'd like!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 10:52:10 pm by Marzi~ »
? Proud Scorpio  ?

Marzi, The Tumble Mouse

Offline Slydragon99

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 30
  • am dead
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
Re: How to make Bears and Deer in FH
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 02:19:31 am »
This is a very cool idea for those who like different RP and Character types. Nice and helpful idea!

art by dearhunters on da

Offline marzishadow

• Experienced Traveler
  • The Tumble Mouse
    • View Profile
    • Marzi's DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 02:27:29 am »
Why thank  you! c:
? Proud Scorpio  ?

Marzi, The Tumble Mouse

Offline FeralFireHeart

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
  • ~ I Desire Fire ~
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 03:18:30 pm »
Welldone!
I always found that in christmas time, when everyone was coming into FH as reindeer characters, they looked pretty pathetic, especially when they don't have antlers, but your deer design is the best I've seen so far on this game.
I like your bear aswell, even though I don't like them in reality....

Offline Abomine

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 41
  • I'm that weird chick who's obsessed with deer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 08:55:03 pm »
This is an awesome tutorial, and I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one around here who has bear and deer characters. :)

But deer aren't equines. They're cervines.

To Isengard! To Isengard!

My deviantART

Offline marzishadow

• Experienced Traveler
  • The Tumble Mouse
    • View Profile
    • Marzi's DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 10:19:15 pm »
Thank you both.
I wasn't sure about deer being equines, I knew there was another word that just didn't come to mind. Thank you.
? Proud Scorpio  ?

Marzi, The Tumble Mouse

Offline Wendingo

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 10:57:43 pm »
Usually, female deer don't have spots like that. It all depends on the kind of deer you're going for, I guess. But, I'll just let this be known, there's no deer species in which only the females have spots, to my knowledge. So, if you're aiming for realism, I wouldn't advise using spots, unless you're making a fallow deer or the likes, in which both male and female will have spots. Either way, if anyone is going to make a deer, they should pull up a reference image. That way you can get the colours right. I always see oversaturated, intensely brown deer in Fluorite, and it drives me crazy.

Anyways, nice guide c:

Offline marzishadow

• Experienced Traveler
  • The Tumble Mouse
    • View Profile
    • Marzi's DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 12:51:48 am »
I already my animals weren't perfect, I just chose random spot markings to my liking, and the brown was made in less than 5 seconds. This tutorial was general meant for the shape not the color. Thank you anyway.
? Proud Scorpio  ?

Marzi, The Tumble Mouse

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 06:00:33 pm »
I think you've done very well here. This will give people a good insight in making deer and bear characters. I should make you my apprentice XD
You may debate that the feline model should be used for bulkier bear-like bodies, but bears have similar faces to wolves than felines, therefore I thought they would appear better if I used the canid model rather than the feline.
And I like that you pointed this fact out. The ursidae family branched off from the caniforma suborder which makes them closer related to canids than felids.

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

Offline poptart5

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
  • Hibernating
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 08:22:02 pm »
Hey, those do kind of look like deer and bears. Way to go!