Author Topic: Differences in Roleplayer's Perceptions of Maps  (Read 1168 times)

Offline Silhouette

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 53
    • View Profile
Differences in Roleplayer's Perceptions of Maps
« on: September 27, 2013, 01:48:42 pm »
I found this to be an interesting topic because this seems to be a trait unique to Feral-Heart and not often spoken about. When you RP with a friend or even with strangers, how do you perceive the environment of the map you are in? Let me give a few examples:

Some people follow the time at which the game is going.
1. That is to say, if its night in the roleplay when it starts, once the Feral-heart sun has come up, its suddenly daytime.
2.Some people follow this concept closely, others, may only acknowledge an in-game time change once in the RP and stick with that "day" for the entire RP.
3.Some do not acknowledge the time at all and may RP as if it is night time, despite it being broad daylight in the game.

I personally follow the 2nd (and occasionally the 3rd) method because I feel like the days in Feral Heart are too short if you try to RP for more than an hour or so and it makes things a little too fast pace.

Another question is, how do you perceive the ground around you? I noticed this when I RP'd with a few people in Fluorite Plains in between the four little hills in the east (often referred to as the "plus" or "+" by some people) that because it is one of the largest areas containing the "broken sand" texture that they have their characters act as if its a wasteland, desert, outlands, etc. with no food and no water while others (like myself) ignore this entirely.

My characters on the other hand treat this same spot as "just a big dry spot in the grass" so when someone else's character starts moaning and groaning about how there's no food and water, they flat out tell them "Its called you stop being lazy, walk a few feet out into the grass and start hunting or you go up north a few miles to drink water from the river. Not that hard." This had made for some interesting situations because I do not play along with the other person's sudden idea that its a desert or something of that nature (particularly when they have not told me they're going to do that ahead of time. And quite frankly I find this idea dreadfully boring and overdone, hence the number of times I've seen people do it and then try to make me go along with it. To each his own, but I just don't like it.)
Fluorite Plains is a vibrant green series of fields, flowers, and trees with two streams/rivers cutting through it and an ocean around it and fluorite crystals sticking up above the water, so my characters perceive it just like that.

So I guess you could
1. Perceive the map as the environment as it appears
2. Change your character's perception on the environment based on a slight resemblance to something else (like turning the sand patch into a "desert" despite it being on the small side)
3. Completely ignore the map and set the RP in an environment of your choice (That is to say, RPing as if one was in a tundra despite the map sitting in the middle of a savannah)

Besides ground cover and time, weather and other factors could also come into play with this so, how much of the game environment/map do you take into account when you RP with someone?

Offline unnbrellas

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 68
  • "fight me" i scream from under my bed
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
Re: Differences in Roleplayer's Perceptions of Maps
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 02:20:33 am »
I normally roleplay my surroundings and prefer this way, that way all members are on the same page of what the environment is, how the weather is, time of day, ect. Which is one of the main reasons I prefer custom maps.

But this is an intersing topic, Im curious what others think.

Formerly MochaCocoa; Find me ingame as ErikaFishhy!
Signature by ???????????�??