Author Topic: Acar's guide to the big, wide world of RPing  (Read 3663 times)

Offline Acarmica

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • oh no you didNT
    • View Profile
Acar's guide to the big, wide world of RPing
« on: April 21, 2014, 02:19:41 pm »
Hello floofs! While my desktop laptop is charging, I have decided to make a RP guide on my main computer. I have RPed for years now, not just on FH.

Note that i made some names for some types of RP since they don't really have an official name - correct me if i am wrong!

*Also* note I started RPing and was taught how to RP most likely differently to the FH style. This is my style, the way i was taught. So it may appear wrong to you, but this is how i see/do it.

.:: TYPES OF RP ::.

Illiterate
Not too common, but easiest way to RP. Often includes poor spelling, little/none punctuation, actions in between hyphons or asterisks (- or *) and no speech marks. A few examples:

1. *she growled* dont say that u have no authority 2 say that.
2. -she growled- dont say that u have no authority 2 say that
3. she growled don't say that u have no authority 2 say that.

Simple
Probably most common, aside from semi-lit. It has better spelling and more punctuation. This type always uses hyphons or asterisks. It may also use

1. -She growled- Don't you dare say that, you have no authority to say that!
2. *She growled* Don't you dare say that, you have no authority to say that!
3. */-She growled*/- "Don't you dare say that, you have no authority to say that!

Semi-lit/Semi-literate
I see this type more in SP, FP and only a few times in Bonfire. It is written book-like, but is shorter than literate. Actions are almost never put in between hyphons and asterisks. They also always use speech marks. Most RPs will want you to be this skill level.

1. Acarmica growled. "Don't you DARE say that, you have NO authority to say that!" She snarled, pinning her ears against her skull.

Lit/Literate
Not too rare to see, but is the longer version of semi-lit. Often exceeding the character limit for Local/Group/Party/Whisper, but sometimes it may be a little shorter than usual and RPers who notice this will sometimes apologise for being shorter than usual. They also have very good grammer and spelling, but may typo sometimes, but everyone typo's, right?

1. Acarmica growled, baring her glinstening white fangs. "Don't you DARE say that, you have NO authority to say that!" She spat, her tone of voice angry and firm. She was the pack leader and wanted to be treated with respect. "Dare challenge me again and you'll be out faster than an elk running from a wolf!" She growled again, harsher, then turned away and flicked her tail. If she wasn't treated with respect, then she didn't see why she should treat him with respect. She trotted away, back to the den.

Wait, Acar, i want to become *insert a skill level higher than you are*! How do I?

Practise, my friend. I actually started off Illiterate and over the years i learned how to RP up to literate. I am now a lit-rper. There are many RP groups with all skill levels scattered around the world of FH, and if you like, join one!

I thank you for reading my RP guide, have fun RPing, floofs!~
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 02:24:08 pm by Acarmica »
In game name is also Acarmica, hope to see you around! Don't be afraid to walk up to me and say hi, i love meeting new people C:

Offline mcgee2001

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
  • Khalessi Of The Dothraki~
    • View Profile
    • Mcgee's Place
Re: Acar's guide to the big, wide world of RPing
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 07:07:03 pm »
Very helpful! I'm sure this will help floofs!

Signature by: Marija, thank you!! <3
Avatar by: Sameth, thank you!! <3
Find me in-game as: Mcgee

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 07:23:02 pm »
I think I should point out that longer doesn't mean more so-called 'literate'; in fact, something simple and sweet like your example of semi-literate I would consider pretty accurate. As long as you understand them you shouldn't judge their ways of roleplaying. Also, keep in mind that illiterate doesn't mean what you think it means exactly - however,  I do know it's just a FH term thing and all that.

It's silly to me, really. However, I didn't come to hate on yer topic here. There is in fact one thing I can point out that I like about this guide; TXT talk and symbols. //Shudder.

Don't think I'm hating on this, really. This is just my opinion!

Offline Wolfclawkid.

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 07:27:47 pm »
Thnx! Whats a floof?

AlphaEclipse

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 07:33:23 pm »

wolfdog01

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 07:35:17 pm »
This is a good way to see where you rank in the RP world :)
I think I'm in the semi-lit pile of it...
Very good! I liked it!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 08:07:31 pm by ~Thyme~ »

Offline Acarmica

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • oh no you didNT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 05:07:44 pm »
I think I should point out that longer doesn't mean more so-called 'literate'; in fact, something simple and sweet like your example of semi-literate I would consider pretty accurate. As long as you understand them you shouldn't judge their ways of roleplaying. Also, keep in mind that illiterate doesn't mean what you think it means exactly - however,  I do know it's just a FH term thing and all that.

It's silly to me, really. However, I didn't come to hate on yer topic here. There is in fact one thing I can point out that I like about this guide; TXT talk and symbols. //Shudder.

Don't think I'm hating on this, really. This is just my opinion!
Don't worry, I respect your opinion. This is how i was taught the world of RPing, there for it may not be accurate :3
In game name is also Acarmica, hope to see you around! Don't be afraid to walk up to me and say hi, i love meeting new people C: