Author Topic: Realistic Wolf Tutorial [Updated]  (Read 10160 times)

Offline StormClaws68

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
  • Constantly hunting for RPs
    • View Profile
Realistic Wolf Tutorial [Updated]
« on: May 03, 2014, 06:14:03 am »
I've seen a lot of people try to join Wolf/Wolf Pack RPs but get rejected because their character isn't "realistic" enough, then they wonder why. For whatever reason, I've seen a lot of people nitpick to the point where even a slightly out of the ordinary eye color isn't accepted!

If you are having trouble making a wolf that will usually be accepted into a "realistic" RP this may be able to help you! May try and make it more organized sometime.

1) Fur Color

One of the major things that people look at when deciding if your character is realistic enough, is the fur color! Obviously if it's a realistic RP, you wouldn't waltz up with a bright blue wolf and ask to join. You also wouldn't walk up with...THIS coloring catastrophe

That bright of an orange does NOT pass (ignore the eyes and yada yada, this was about the color). Tan possibly. That? No. "But Stormy! I've seen orangish colored wolves before!" yes, there are "orangish" colored wolves in real life, but "orangish" in real life does NOT MEAN a walking cheese puff. The color is real life is more of a reddish brown color  ;)

Now, what colors DO, pass as realistic. Well, probably the most common wolf color is grey or black with a cream color underbelly (cream is NOT the same as white, it isn't as bright really). Usually it will have flecks of brown in there too depending on the wolf.

The grey could probably go a bit darker than that really. Note that the underfur isn't a very bright white. A bright white (to me personally) can throw off the realism of the wolf, very rarely will you see a real wolf that is a very bright white, but that may just be me, I'm strange like that.
Also note how in the picture above, the area around the eyes are dark. Wolves are known for having very expressive "faces" with black around the eyes and a black nose, so feel free to add that in too  ;)

The next fur color is brown (or a brownish red color)! Same goes for them really, the brown on top, cream on bottom. With brown wolves though, you can also go for a solid color (same color underfur as pelt. ALSO, solid can also work with grey wolves) or even make the underfur a slightly lighter shade than the pelt.

This is one of the reddish brown wolves, it is usually a solid color or cream underfur (as seen above).

A brown wolf with cream underfur

Solid brown wolf

A brown wolf with lighter underfur.
How you make your wolf is completely up to you, but these should be decent guidelines. How dark or light you make the brown is completely up to you. Also keep in mind not to make your wolf green/blue/red/ext. tinted on accident (I sometimes have trouble making a brown that doesn't look slightly red  ;))

Ok! Next on the list! White wolves, these are pretty simple really. Make a wolf that's pretty much all white but adding black around the eyes and tail tip is usually ok.

Keep in mind that there are more colors than just white, brown, and grey! Look up pictures of wolves on the internet, and try to replicate them, it's great practice, helps your wolves' to be more unique while still staying realistic, and I find it fun! (but remember the cheese puff wolves. A good rule to follow is bright=bad in most cases)

2) Markings

First things first, simple thought. Would you see a wolf with a skeleton pattern on their fur? Probably not. Don't use it if you're aiming for realism. I mainly use only the "underfur" marking, it helps blend the underfur and pelt better (again, personal opinion)
Second, make sure your markings match the colors of your wolf. Have a reddish brown wolf with cream underfur? If the marking is primarily where the cream is, make it cream, and vice versa.
That is pretty much it for markings, you simply need to think about what you would see on a wolf and if you wouldn't see it on a real wolf, you shouldn't see it on YOUR wolf.

3) Eyes

Eye color tolerance can vary, but usually it's a dark brown, black, or dark dark green color (sage?)
Also avoid the fancy eye types. I usually just keep it on normal to be safe. and definitely NO PUPILESS!

4) Body Type & Head

First you must think about what gender your wolf is. Will it be a male or a she-wolf? This will help determine the head and body!

Female

(This is all based on personal preference really, doesn't effect the realism much)
For the head, make the cheeks fluffy! (or in other words make it decently high up there on the scroll bar) the nose bar should be very low, I actually have it all the way down but in the middle is fine. Forehead is all the way down. The eyes scroll bar is in the middle. The muzzle is proportionate to the head. Ears are usually fine in the middle.
I usually make my female wolves' weight either all the way down, or in the middle depending on how I want it to look or how I made the head (don't want the head to big for the body now do we?). For height I usually keep it  almost all the way up, but not quite, if that makes sense. (I personally like being a big strong looking wolf, so size is up to preference, try not to make them TO small though, it may ruin the realism)

Male

For the male, I generally make the cheeks a bit smaller than I would for a female. Aside from that, there generally isn't much different.
I tend to give them a big more weight than I would for a female, and usually make their height all the way up

I tried to make it so you get the basics on how to keep your wolf realistic, without restricting you to one look (Feral Heart is about RPing as your own unique character after all!).
Hope I've helped out those who were struggling a bit, if I left anything out, something wasn't really realistic, or if something wasn't quite clear, let me know and I'll make sure I get it fixed!

Next on Stormy's list of tutorials to make
Realistic Lion Tutorial
Horse Tutorial(?)

Thanks for reading
~Stormy
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 09:39:10 pm by StormClaws68 »

Kellin <3
Click here to view my characters!

If you see me, feel free to say hi!

Offline forks

• tiny silverware enthusiast
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • icon by reudiart
    • soupforks
    • View Profile
Re: Realistic Wolf Tutorial [Updated]
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 06:11:21 pm »
Great tutorial! I used it, and it helps! Thx! (sorry for posting if this is considered an old thread)

signature by g0thic_vibes1

Offline KatanaWolf

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
  • Delete this account.
    • View Profile
Re: Realistic Wolf Tutorial [Updated]
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 06:37:06 pm »
That's a good tutorial it would really help with people making realistic characters for their roleplays.
Account no longer in use.