Author Topic: Your opinion on calling people 'noobs'?  (Read 5860 times)

Offline Riggs

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
    • doggyquts.deviantart.com
    • View Profile
Your opinion on calling people 'noobs'?
« on: May 15, 2015, 09:43:45 am »
What is YOUR opinion on calling other users noobs?

[ Just venting and asking for an Opinion! ] 

To be honest, in my opinion I think it's wrong to call other users noobs because they don't look exactly like one of your characters. Feralheart is made for you to customize your own character, and must I repeat this YOUR OWN character. These characters can be neon red, green, whatever color. Just because they are more vibrant than you doesn't make them a 'sparkle tard' or a 'noob'. They're allowed to look however they want. Then others get called noobs because they haven't been playing for 4-5 years, I don't really think it matters for however long you have been playing Feralheart. I don't think it gives you the right to call someone a noob just for that.

Offline xXQueenXx

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • Sippin tea
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/
    • View Profile
Re: Your opinion on calling people 'noobs'?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 10:19:35 am »
Literates = People
Illiterates = People
Realistic Characters = People
Unrealistic Characters = People
Sparkle Characters = People
New members = People
Old members = People
Moderators = People
Admins = People
Mate Centers = People
Adoption Centers = People
Human Characters = People
American Players = People
Foreign Players = People

The only time I use the word "noob" is when i'm referring to myself.
However, I don't think it's always used in an offensive manner. I think when reporting/defending people we should always look at the context of it. My friend use to call me a "newbie" as a joke and through text I can understand why someone would see that as an insult.
(To me, it obviously wasn't.)
Technically speaking, I don't think "Noob" qualifies as "offensive language". But you're right, if insulted with it, it can be very offensive indeed.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 10:21:22 am by Escalade- »

Offline Hooli

• Used Napkin
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 67
  • uwu
    • hooiigans
    • xmanicz
    • k_tlyn99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 12:13:05 pm »
*loud squealing 'cause my post was quoted*

Aye, the term 'noob' angers me to the point of screaming. It's rude and is probably even considered a form of bullying, since it's name-calling. To me, the term 'noob' is mostly always negative, seeing as the only time I ever see it used is when people are making fun of someone for not knowing something about the game or something in general. However people can make fun at the term with their friends and yes it can be pretty harmless for a lot of people, but I do know of a couple many people on the game who don't take lightly to be called a 'noob'. As my quote above states, we're all people, we're all the same, so there shouldn't be any name calling or difference between anyone within FeralHeart.

in-game: hooli

Offline Yognaught

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • ??
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 03:46:04 pm »
This is a topic I am very passionate about. slams fists on table

No, I really don't think it's apprioprate to call other's 'noobs' because their character is a little bit more sparkly than the average flurito literates, or they don't talk with exceptional grammar, or even haven't been playing for that long. Whenever I see people use it in an offensive context, I will literally flip out because 1. It's rude 2. It should never be used to describe someone. Ever. I've known a few people to actually get upset of the term because a few stuck-up 9 year olds decided it'd be great to insult their sparkle-character with the term. It's actually sometimes cringe-worthy when people overuse 'noob, and extremely unnecessary tbh.

Find me in-game as: mushyroom

Offline Berrymutt

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • Huge Critical Role nerd
    • Berrymutt
    • berrymuttbb
    • Berrymutt
    • NickBerrymutt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 06:55:37 pm »
Then others get called noobs because they haven't been playing for 4-5 years, I don't really think it matters for however long you have been playing Feralheart.

Hmm well the term ''noob'' is 'derp speak' or 'dumb talk' for ''newbie'' which means someone who just joined the game so technically those who just joined the game are considered to be new players or what some might call ''noobs''. If people are calling each other noobs and having a laugh over it, it seems fine to me no harm done just some crazy kids enjoying their time on the game. However when someone takes it as offensive (Even though the word itself isn't offensive) or does NOT want to be called or labeled as a ''noob'' then I would cut it out because it's not right to call someone something that they don't want to be called ya'know? Other than that I really have no side to lean on, on this topic for those who don't mind being called ''noobs'' and them and their friends enjoy calling each other by that name then that's cool you can do that. It turns into something uncool and negative is when someone calls another someone a ''noob'' even though they know that someone does not want to be called a ''noob''.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 06:57:23 pm by Berrymutt »

Avatar made by Ziboe. Signature Made By DOG-BOWL On DeviantArt.
Discord: Berrymutt#0225
Twitch: Berrymutt
Download My Presets

Echoing harmony

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 08:37:47 pm »
Hmm, I don't have an opinion on it. I use to call people noobs before I became mature on the internet. What I can say is the term 'Noob' comes from people who are inmature on the internet. Most of the time at least. But still, I just let people have their opinion, I still personally have no opinion on it, except it can be used repetitive with trolling and sometimes is un-called for.

Offline Owly

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 9
    • Kryvul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 09:54:34 pm »
In no way shape or form should someone call another a noob. I mean, if you're friends, then it's obviously okay to do so. However, to someone who you don't know personally, or even because they look, type, or act differently than you makes no difference.
I don't see too much of it where I linger much anymore, but I used to be big on telling them not to call people that.

Offline The_Black_Cat

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 02:29:22 am »
I haven't been playing FH for that long, but I wouldn't be very pleased if someone other than a friend called me a noob. To me there is a difference between "newbie" and "noob". In my eyes "newbie" just means someone who hasn't been around for very long and I don't really see people using it in a negative context. But "noob", outside of friend situations, is almost always used condescendingly, and it kind of sends the message "I'm better than you, which means I can call you whatever I want". If you call me a noob because I'm not as perfect as you, you don't offend me, but I see you as shallow and immature.

Offline unseelie

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 01:22:53 pm »
Hmm...In my opinion I think it's really wrong to call other players "noobs."
 FeralHeart at the first - friendly game.
People that playing in this game can be 9 or 20 years old,  it's no matter actually. But I seen a lot of people who calls others "noobs."

"Noobs" can be those types of people who new or have just colourful character, or kids that 8 or 9 years old.
 Anyway it's wrong to call them "noobs" 'cause we must to remember that FH it' s at first friendly
game.

For example: I have my best friend in FeralHeart. I met her in Ficho,  others players calls her "noob".  It's was really wrong,  'cause she was good and really nice.  
One trouble was when I start to protect her... Others start to call me "noob" too,  but I'm never mind.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 01:28:08 pm by ~Shelly~ »

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 12:24:19 am »
If you are actually completely serious about calling someone a noob on FeralHeart I will feel sorry for you LOL.