Author Topic: Your opinion on calling people 'noobs'?  (Read 5861 times)

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
Re: Your opinion on calling people 'noobs'?
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 12:43:43 am »
I've never liked the term "noob". Given my extensive background with game communities I've only seen bad come from calling people noobs. Most of the time people are quite rude about how they address new comers and automatically label them a noob. Given how many treat new comers it's easy to see why the name noob would come off as negative since new comers are often laughed at or shamed for their lack of experience. The moment someone is called a noob they are almost immediately stigmatized. i strongly believe that the noob title is unnecessary and usually just an older user's way of being a snob about their experience. Whether the new user be in FH's community or any other they're just a player and deserve as much respect as any other user. The moment labels are given communities start to spiral down into an immature cycle... It literally becomes grade school with the name calling and groups.

Its the same thing with "literates" and "illiterates"

It's just immature

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 07:23:20 pm »
By labelling someone as a "noob," you're basically debasing them as far as a respecting manner. Just because somebody new doesn't know how the roleplays work, might be younger, and they're character is slightly more glitter-filled than yours does not mean you can call them names, hence labelling them, "noob."

I've seen a close group of buddies or two call each other noobs, but it's just in a joking manner. They're not really into it to be mean or offensive, they're just playing around. I suppose it's easier to call each other a "noob" than saying, "you're a newbie."

Personally, I've never become friends with anyone who uses the term, "noob," because I find it disrespecting and it shows more about the person calling the victim the name than it does the victim being labelled as a "noob."

When I see people name-calling, they're either goofing around with their friends, or they're (not necessarily intentionally) hurting someone feelings. I think especially for some of the younger players, they don't understand (maybe I'm wrong. I've had a few experiences with this, and the victims had no idea what they did wrong) why they're a being called a "noob," and they certainly wouldn't understand why the name-caller is better than them. Why? Because they're not. But it appears to me that when someone calls someone else a "noob," it emits the impression that the name-caller thinks they're better, more educated, higher-ranking, ect, ect...

It's possible people just think that by calling someone a "noob," it makes it easier to label them. "Noob" could mean a sparkledog/glittercat (colorful), illiterate, ignorant, newbie who lacks experience and is easily taken advantage of, all in one person. Some people seem to think it's easier to give them a "fitting title" than to just call them a newbie. But this is just personal experience, so maybe I'm wrong. Hey, I can't speak for all name-callers.

Anyways, I think it's disrespectful and rude. No one should be name-called. Of course, there's not much we can do about it because it's the Internet. But to answer your question/opinion, No, I don't think anyone should be called a "noob."

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.

Offline Arkayy

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 40
  • YOU WANNA HAVE BAD TOM?!
    • arkayy.deviantart.com
    • Foxyhobobaggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 09:30:19 pm »
Honestly i really don't think theres a such thing as noobs on fh. On most mmos, this normally refers to those whole struggle to find there way around and quite frankly its SUPER easy to navigate feralheart. The only way i can really see this is if someone doesnt know how to use the chat maybe? But that's about it.

Anyone calling them noobs are being inconsiderate pricks really. The game has a lot of customization for a reason. Why try to stipple creativity? Ive used neon characters before just for fun, doesn't mean I'm a noob. Just means i'm personally weird for wanting to make my character a rainbow. Its perfectly ok to dislike a character design, but dont call the person uncreative just because something is beautiful in there eyes.

U WANNA HAV EH BAAD TOM?!

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 09:38:09 pm »
dont call the person uncreative just because something is beautiful in there eyes.

Just felt like quoting this.

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.

Offline shayy

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 73
  • World Class Shawty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2015, 10:38:39 pm »
In no way shape or form should someone call another a noob. I mean, if you're friends, then it's obviously okay to do so. However, to someone who you don't know personally, or even because they look, type, or act differently than you makes no difference.
I don't see too much of it where I linger much anymore, but I used to be big on telling them not to call people that.
I completely agree Owly, you have no right to put someone down because of the way to look or act. Thats their business not yours. Unless its your friend of course and your just playing around and having some laughs :)
pm for free art i need practice

Offline xanxiety

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • I am fabulous, you are fabulous, shall we?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 09:20:56 am »
I'm not too big of a fan on the word noob, I find it hurtful. I only use it when referring to myself, or when I playfully call my friends a noob.
IF YOU ARE READING THIS, WE ARE NOW DATING.

Offline Jackkdaw

• The Fabulous
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 138
  • actual cannibal
    • http://jackkdaw.deviantart.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2015, 10:46:33 am »
I think calling fellow floofs noobs can be hurtful and disrespectful, as mentioned above.
This is a community that, I would assume, welcomes everybody, especially new players- which we should
Calling people names like that is quite frankly a form of cyber bullying, which we have zero tollerance for.
It can even drive newcomers away.

I only use the term when referring to myself or using it on a close friend.
one should never call a player they don't know a noob.
It all comes down to maturity if you really think about it.
In-Game as: Jackkdaw
On DeviantART as Jackkdaw
sig by me

Offline Zoeferet

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Find me in game as Zoeferet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2015, 01:05:09 pm »
I think it is wrong. When I first joined a year ago people called me a noob and I absolutely hated it.

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2015, 05:00:07 pm »
I really don't like the term "noob", so I don't really like seeing someone call someone else a noob. It's very disrespectful and downright uncalled for. The person you just called a "noob" is more than likely new/inexperienced, and looking for friends to talk to and play with. But now you've just discouraged then from ever logging onto the game anymore, and they will go around other websites and say, "Feral Heart is a mean community filled with heartless people. I would not recommend joining this game!" Trust me, I've seen those kind of messages before. What does that tell you?
So I say that it's not right to call someone a noob.
Inactive

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2015, 07:01:43 pm »
I must agree with the preceding floofs.

"Noob calling" is not only disrespectful, but it's also completely unnecessary. So what if someone is new and inexperienced. Everyone was at that stage at sometime. In fact, this may just be a coincidence, but most of the noob-callers I've seen were fairly new themselves.
There's not an ounce of decency in abusing ANYONE from simply being new to a community.

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya