Author Topic: Mapmaker Crashing! FIXED  (Read 1660 times)

Offline SyreethDraws

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • SyreethDraws
    • SyreethDraws
    • View Profile
Mapmaker Crashing! FIXED
« on: November 12, 2016, 11:08:54 am »
Right, so. Recently, I got a huge urge to make a map. So, there I went, making a mask, a terrain ect. and when I went to load it into game. It paused and ' Feralheart.EXE has stopped responding.' and crashed.

< That is the terrain, which crashed my game.

513X513
GRAYSCALE
Exported from both PS5 and GIMP 2 both didn't work.
1 layer
Alpha channel off

I need this fixed ASAP, thank you.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 11:53:28 am by icess4444 »

In-game as SyreethDraws
Sig by Me, Profile by Me

Offline VortexAlive

• Eevee Knight
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 180
  • A wild floof has appeared!
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • View Profile
    • VortexAlive is Rawrsome
Re: Mapmaker Crashing!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 12:35:26 pm »
Exported? All I've ever needed to do is save the heightmap as a .png image and make sure that the ingame extension was present and correct like this "Heightmap: MapnameTerrain.png". It hasn't mattered if the alpha channel was on or off but it does need only 1 layer. Maybe you overlooked something small? I know that the new versions of gimp kept trying to save my stuff as .xcf format or something similar so I'd double check that.
For the sake of my own health and interests, I've left FH and I won't be looking back.

Offline Kynvuu

• #Grimstagram
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 212
  • I'm not saying that it was aliens but...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 01:48:21 pm »
In addition to what was said above, make sure that your terrain image is flattened. Right click on your single layer and click "Flatten Image". This sometimes does the trick!
On a temporary leave. Please contact other members of staff if you need assistance.

Offline SyreethDraws

• SyreethDraws
    • SyreethDraws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 02:42:51 pm »
Exported? All I've ever needed to do is save the heightmap as a .png image and make sure that the ingame extension was present and correct like this "Heightmap: MapnameTerrain.png". It hasn't mattered if the alpha channel was on or off but it does need only 1 layer. Maybe you overlooked something small? I know that the new versions of gimp kept trying to save my stuff as .xcf format or something similar so I'd double check that.

Yeah, but I have the old verson, and I had to export to even attempt to save as a .PNG

In-game as SyreethDraws
Sig by Me, Profile by Me

Offline Shazadah

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • Call me NaruWolf
    • http://shay-wolf.deviantart.com
    • https://www.youtube.com/user/Mid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 02:51:54 pm »
The points these floofs above me here have given are valid. You may also want to possibly try .jpg format if you're having problems with .png. I know with the newer GIMP, you have to export an image in order to make it into a .jpg, .png, or other format other than .xcf, which if only saved it will automatically format to that. Just check your files and make sure they're being saved correctly.

Update as I was writing this post: Just tested your heightmap in my own game and got the same result which was a crash as soon as the name was entered in (I saved it from here to my files and called it TestTerrain.png). Tinkered with it in GIMP and re-exported it with a disabled Alpha channel and it worked. So, double check and make sure the Alpha channel is removed, which can be done so by right-clicking on a layer, and selecting "Remove Alpha Channel" in the menu that pops up. Then export as .png or .jpg. And don't worry, I've already deleted your map from my files, so that I'm not "stealing".

Update 2: With the older versions of GIMP, like 2.6 and lower, you can save an image as another format, no need to export it. But anything above 2.6, such as 2.8, requires that you export instead of save.

Good luck to ya floof!

Offline Nak3dAng3l

• Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 03:06:42 pm »
Edit: just noticed it was already pushed down (morning sleepy person sigh)

good luck!

Offline SyreethDraws

• SyreethDraws
    • SyreethDraws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 11:32:37 am »
Thanks for the help Shaz, however it still won't work. It won't crash, just stops responding.

EDIT: Got it working. When I resized, it didn't resize the layer. Thank you all!!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 11:48:04 am by icess4444 »

In-game as SyreethDraws
Sig by Me, Profile by Me

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
Re: Mapmaker Crashing! FIXED
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 04:29:47 pm »
Good luck on the rest of your map! I'll be locking this now ^^
Farewell everyone<3