Author Topic: Cross-Gender Rpers?  (Read 34724 times)

Offline RisingLife

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
  • Derp
    • View Profile
Re: Cross-Gender Rpers?
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 06:53:19 pm »
*Points to own signature* xD

I see nothing wrong with cross gender roleplay, since all it is, is collaborative storytelling. Writers out in the real world don't (usually) make every character in their books the same gender, or even their main characters the same as their own gender.
authors who write books tackle both genders and don't just stick to one, and role playing is not much different.

This is another reason why I find people who overreact that you roleplay as the other gender a little silly (for lack of a better word). I view FeralHeart as a fun way to make your writing skills better then before, and if you just tell a story with females your male writing is going to look pale in comparison. Its the same for males too, if you just rp as males, then your female writing is not going to be as good.

Im a Cross-Gender RPer myself i just don't tell people much because of reactions i don't want to be "Punished" for being a Female IRL and male in game
That is exactly why I don't rp out of my main rp map, because I usually rp as a male and it seems only the map I rp is fine with it :I
Check out my preset shop here!
And Art thread here!
And Character Bio here!?

Offline SoaringAway

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 32
  • Ours is the Fury.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 07:16:33 pm »
I don't think "cross-gender Rpers" would be the appropriate term for a roleplayer seeing how it IS just a "roleplayer." It doesn't make them different as to what role they play in seeing as how if we follow such logic of assuming that rpers that play in the opposite gender must be of a different sexual preference, those that roleplay as a dog or a cat and reveal themselves to be human are labeled as "furries." This sort of discrimination is odd and I don't think it is really the younger audience of FeralHeart but rather sheltered or one-tracked people.

I've encountered many other young members (below the age of 13) that rather be the opposite gender as they can work out on it but also learn how to play out male personalities much better. Then again, there isn't much of "masculine" personality as this leads to the typical stereotypes that are uncalled for and sexist.

Back on topic:
 Why should a gender matter?.. It's not like if your character gets in a relationship with the other, that means for you to also be in a similar one too. Maybe those that are against opposite gender roles assume much to the extremes but yet again, this is only an opinion.

Offline rustheart

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 76
  • Elbows are just arm knees.
    • RustyMcRustFace
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 07:25:05 pm »
I don't see what is so wrong with playing a male wolf or lion when your a female in real life.  I like male characters more and for some reason play them better.  Almost all my characters are male.  My Fursonas, CharChar and Dollo are male though I am female.  My main character is Key which is male.
"I'm a kitchen sink, you don't know what that means. Because a kitchen sink to you, is not a kitchen sink to me, okay?"
Snow Shoe
Drawn by Aviru

Offline MadMoai

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • Sleepy woof
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 07:30:42 pm »
I've never experienced problems with people bothering cross-gender roleplayers... maybe I just haven't been active enough, but I hope this doesn't escalate into anything big. I myself have been roleplaying a lot of male characters for as long as I can remember, despite being female in real life. I reserve female characters for my own individual writing for some reason...

One thing I noticed, though, is that many real authors are "cross-gender roleplayers" if you want to call them that. I also noticed that manga artists in particular are really good at telling stories about people of the opposite gender. My favorite manga author/artist is a female in real life, but her characters are almost exclusively male, and yet her drawings are very well developed and the stories she writes are just amazing.

So... yeah, I don't have a problem with it.~ After all, your characters are your characters, so you should be able to do whatever you want with them, whether that's feed them chocolate for the rest of their lives or throw them off a cliff. :P

Offline RisingLife

• Experienced Traveler
  • Derp
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 07:34:45 pm »
I don't think "cross-gender Rpers" would be the appropriate term for a roleplayer seeing how it IS just a "roleplayer."
Pardon me, I think the naming came across wrong. I did not mean to put a label on them (or me) I just simply wanted to make sure people were not confused about the topic. ^^; sorry about that
And Art thread here!
And Character Bio here!?

Offline 580star

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2013, 07:38:00 pm »
Ahaha, Well.
I have tons and tons of Male characters.
{The intention of this account was to be for my main character.}
I honestly feel bad because people think I am male when in reality I'm a teenage female. I guess other members still think I am male due to the fact nearly all my friends call me Adam.
But Cross-gender roleplaying is nothing to be ashamed of. Everyone should be focused on the roleplay and having fun anyway. cx

Edit: {Probably making a new account for myself instead of this messed up one.}
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 11:39:29 pm by StarTheParanoia »

Offline SoaringAway

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 32
  • Ours is the Fury.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 07:40:01 pm »
I don't think "cross-gender Rpers" would be the appropriate term for a roleplayer seeing how it IS just a "roleplayer."
Pardon me, I think the naming came across wrong. I did not mean to put a label on them (or me) I just simply wanted to make sure people were not confused about the topic. ^^; sorry about that

Aye no, RisingLife! It wasn't in any means directed towards you but rather the view of other roleplays have onto those that roleplay their opposite gender. I didn't mean to offend you but it was just I usually open up my opinionated posts and I just wanted to point out (not to you or anyone) that they're just mere roleplays just like them ^^;'

EDIT: Sorry for the confusion. The fault is on me for not explaining well enough. OTL
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 07:41:55 pm by SoaringAway »

Offline RisingLife

• Experienced Traveler
  • Derp
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 07:51:19 pm »
Ah okay I see ^^; I may have just read your whole statement wrong too.

Oh the wonders of talking via internet
And Art thread here!
And Character Bio here!?

Offline Demonology

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 12:26:24 am »
Though I don't cross-gender roleplay myself I don't really see anything wrong with it, like stated above its just a roleplay so people just need to chill out and not take it so serious. 8)

You saw nothing.

Offline DarkWolfStar12

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 09:35:31 pm »
i personally am not at all    mean to cross p'ers   ( that what my friends call them )   but i don't have any female chars just because i find it sorta weird if i were to do it. I mean im not against gay/lesbians but    if a male person uses a op gen char and i didn't know it because the guy was really good at being  a Female char , and we became mates in rp , Id be grossed out , and probably block   them not because they  might be  gay but   just due to the  pure awkwardness  that would be between us in the future.  maybe unblock and never speak of the previous event.  Also on a note ,  i don't see anyone bully   them , at all and  i really think it'd be just terrible if someone did,  i mean , its rp , sheesh people ca be what their not in real life in rp , gay or not ,  they  wanna be  op gen on a FH  char then so be it! freedom of char to all and to all a merry chr- no  , uh what was i saying?  never mind  ,  

~Blade