Author Topic: Cross-Gender Rpers?  (Read 34731 times)

Offline F a t a l

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Cross-Gender Rpers?
« Reply #120 on: August 07, 2013, 04:56:04 pm »
I don't understand why people see this as wrong...except when a Female plays as a Male and calls herself "Gay." I mean...geez...just be a girl instead if that's what you're going for. >.>

That's a bit rude. I'm female, and I've played as a gay male character multiple times - sometimes I just prefer playing male characters. I shouldn't have to 'be a girl' rather than playing a gay male, I don't focus my entire roleplay on the relationship. What's wrong with that? How am I 'wrong' for doing this?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 04:58:37 pm by F a t a l »
Found in-game as F a t a l
Frequently hanging around on characters Daiquiri and Paenitere.

Dire Night Wolf

« Reply #121 on: August 08, 2013, 04:37:09 am »
I don't understand why people see this as wrong...except when a Female plays as a Male and calls herself "Gay." I mean...geez...just be a girl instead if that's what you're going for. >.>

That's a bit rude. I'm female, and I've played as a gay male character multiple times - sometimes I just prefer playing male characters. I shouldn't have to 'be a girl' rather than playing a gay male, I don't focus my entire roleplay on the relationship. What's wrong with that? How am I 'wrong' for doing this?

I have to agree with you 100/100, I'm an asexual male and my characters are either asexual or gay, does that mean that instead of making them homosexual males, I should of made them straight females?
Of course not, just as if I would of wanted to create a lesbian character, I would not of wanted a straight male, but a lesbian female.

Does that also mean that the opposite gender cannot create homosexual characters of the opposite gender or instead of homosexual characters of the same gender, they should make straight characters of the opposing gender?

Following this logic, it's almost as if homosexuals shouldn't exist in FH because you can create a straight character of the other gender.

Let's face it, this is a game where anyone can be anything, where they can accomplish things they maybe can't in real life and who are we to take that liberty and right away from them?

But I'll shut up now, it's 12:30 and my brain has gone out the window, I feel like I've completely twisted this statement 180 degrees and I apologize if it sounded like I was putting words in your mouth, as that was not my goal at all. I'm sure you didn't intend to start some sort of fight or to imply that gay/lesbians should not exist in a game where one can simply be the opposing gender. ... ... ... Did that sound sarcastic? It wasn't, I swear.

Edit: I think I completely soared off-topic with this post, my apologies for that.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 04:57:02 am by Thanatos||Soul-Eater »

ZearTheAkumian

« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2013, 10:19:58 pm »
I see nothing wrong with them along side the others, I think I saw some people as Jeff the Killer in fact in real life are female, I mostly have female characters, but I have one male character, short post is short post

Offline miikarenn

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
  • yoooooo
    • View Profile
    • the tumblr
« Reply #123 on: August 12, 2013, 02:40:05 am »
I identify as neither gender, so technically I am always cross-gender roleplaying, except my OOC character Miik, who is also neither gender.

I am also Asexual [nice to meet another Ace, Thanatos :)] so most of my characters are asexual as well, I'm just bad at playing gay/straight characters.  I think the gender thing mostly bothers people who are looking for a "mate."

Offline iDubbbz

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 12, 2013, 03:09:05 am »
  Well I personally feel that people should rp whatever gender they are in real life.  Because it feels a bit awkward rping with someones who is male character and female in real life.  I gues its just how you prefer to rp :p

Offline Silhouette

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 53
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 12, 2013, 05:08:13 am »
 Well I personally feel that people should rp whatever gender they are in real life.  Because it feels a bit awkward rping with someones who is male character and female in real life.  I gues its just how you prefer to rp :p

Why is it awkward? According to your logic, it would be "awkward" for me to play the Legend of Zelda because you play the role of a guy and goodness, gracious, its a male, which I'm not. (Or any game someone plays where the main character is not their gender.) There's no difference between that and being an author and writing a story about a character who is'nt the author's gender. Afterall, that is what roleplay is, is it not? One big collaborative story?

Its not awkward. Its just different. Roleplay is just "pretend" so its no more wrong or "awkward" to be female and have a male character on Feral Heart (or vice versa) than it is to RP a male on any other game, multiplayer and online or not.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 05:10:28 am by Silhouette »

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 12, 2013, 05:37:48 am »
 Well I personally feel that people should rp whatever gender they are in real life.  Because it feels a bit awkward rping with someones who is male character and female in real life.  I gues its just how you prefer to rp :p

Care to explain to us why you think it's awkward? Like Silhouette, and everyone else said, there is really nothing wrong with roleplaying as someone of the opposite gender.
Silhouette made a good point about it being no different from when an author writes a story about a character who isn't the author's gender. Plenty of writers have done that before, like J.K. Rowling. She didn't write a story about a girl witch. No, she wrote it about a boy wizard, and she's now a billionare for writing such a successful series.

In the world of acting, there are plenty of actors who have played the roles of characters that were the opposite gender. Voice acting is a good example. Wouldn't you like to know that the voice actor for Bart Simpson is actually a woman in real life? She also did the voice acting for some other well-known male cartoon characters.

It's the same thing with other well known characters. Some popular male characters are voiced by female voice actors.

There are some male voice actors who play the role of female characters too. I would give examples, but I'm not going to spam out the entire page with images.
So tell me again.... how is roleplaying someone of the opposite gender awkward, when it commonly happens out in the real world? It's very common in acting.

Inactive

Offline Wizardmymom

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
  • probably suffering rn
    • the-aquamama
    • pharahraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 12, 2013, 03:41:13 pm »
I am also a 'cross-gender RPer'.
I often play as either a male or a female character, but why does it matter?
Like many points before this, it's like writing a book.
For another common one, Warrior Cats.
The Erin Hunters (Because EH is 4 people) are all ladies, but almost all of their main characters are male (Firestar, Jaypaw, Lionpaw, Brambeclaw.) So....
?

I have recently been playing a hell-hound named Selvira in Bonfire, but I also have a few male characters.
Heck, some of my friends in other RPs think I'm a guy irl, but I'm not.
I tell them, too, and they suddenly have new respect for me because I play male characters so well.
If anything, people should WANT to be cross-gender RPers because it
(A)
Helps writing skills. If you write a book, not all characters will be male or female. There has to be a mix.
(B)
WAAAAY too many females in FH.
(C)
Why does it flipping matter? As long as you aren't one of those love-crazed fools, then why?
Besides, what does IRL have to do with the RP?
Heck, I could be a rainbow colored dragon on Mars, but I still RP fairly, so why the heck does it matter?

Done for now :/
Trans, gay, and ready to play

Offline Runzi333

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 13, 2013, 07:28:38 am »
I get hate for playing a male sometimes and it's just plain rude.
No I'm not "confused" or "gender confused" I felt like playing as a male character because I am not a male in real life.
If I wanted to be like I am in real life I wouldn't be role playing in the first place.

I think it's very rude to say you wouldn't want to Rp with me just because I'm not being my irl gender.

Not to mention what everyone knows about the internet! Some people aren't who they say they are anyway!

That cute teenage girl you think you're talking to is an old sweaty scary guy XD I think that happens a lot less here but you never know!

At least I'm telling you I'm playing a male when I'm female... I could just not and you'd never know. XD
Runzi: If it lights up and/or makes noise IT'S MINE :P

Offline miikarenn

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
  • yoooooo
    • View Profile
    • the tumblr
« Reply #129 on: August 13, 2013, 07:38:22 am »
ah yes I agree wholeheartedly with Runzi!

it actually would legitimately hurt my feelings to get hate for playing both males and females; gender is kind of a sore topic for me, and I hope that never happens to me.