Author Topic: Over-Literate?  (Read 2070 times)

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
Over-Literate?
« on: October 22, 2014, 06:21:11 pm »
"All my life, I've been dreamin', of a love that's right for me. And now I finally know her name and it's, sing with me kids, LITERACY!"
~The puppet guy in the gif... I couldn't find a captioned one. XD

Ah, the many literacy levels of roleplay. Illiterate, semi literate and literate. A good way to classify the roleplaying skill level required for a group. However, have you ever thought about how this could also be derogatory?

Ok, if you're illiterate, that's fine. Nothing wrong with that. But sometimes people flip out at the littlest things. I've seen people make beautiful posts, but get called illiterate from a few typos. Anyway, this isn't about illiteracy. It's more about how some people find their 10 posts to perform a simple action roleplays make them better than everyone else.

There's nothing wrong with being highly detailed and literate in your posts. It's just when people think that if you have only one or two posts at a time, you're illiterate.

Same thing with wolfspeak. I used to roleplay Warrior Cats on an old game, but someone came in and introduced new "anatomy." At first, it was fun, getting more descriptive and such, but it soon turned annoying. You couldn't understand people, and they got all stuck up about it. (NOTE: I'm not saying that wolfspeakers or literates are stuck up. I was referring to that one group.) If someone came up with a post even like this:
Thymepaw bounded along the trail, his paws skidding in excitement as he ran.
And would would be called "illiterate."

Once again, I have no problem with being highly literate. But it's just some people think their so smart because they have 10 posts just to describe them falling asleep, or they use words like cranium, empennage, banner, etc. instead of simple anatomy.

This is just something that gets me... I mean, post length and description has nothing to do with intelligence. If they have 437567 words in their post, good for them! No need for them to brag about it and label everyone else as a "noob" or "idiot."
It doesn't make people better than anyone else if they are super literate.

Sorry if this was a bit of a rant... anyway, I'm curious to hear others' opinions on this.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 06:23:34 pm by TwistedLizard »

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

Offline Whisperingwaves

• #2FAB4U
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 135
  • #SlainyTheBattleTurkey
    • Whisperingwaves
    • @slainytbm
    • View Profile
    • Kiros
Re: Over-Literate?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 06:48:45 pm »
Ok, if you're illiterate, that's fine. Nothing wrong with that. But sometimes people flip out at the littlest things. I've seen people make beautiful posts, but get called illiterate from a few typos.
I too have seen such behavior hun. I personally have no issue with your level of rping profession. If someone has a slight typo, so what? If their post has detail and explains the actions, I don't see how it could be judged as such.

Same thing with wolfspeak. I used to roleplay Warrior Cats on an old game, but someone came in and introduced new "anatomy." At first, it was fun, getting more descriptive and such, but it soon turned annoying.
Many have opinions on this new anatomy, but it all depends on how it is used and/or described. I have no issue with it, but if someone is using the wrong terms, I might help them out a bit. Getting descriptive is fun, until someone takes it to the wrong level, see where i'm coming from?

Anyway, this is a very meaningful rant, seeing as some try to make 10 posts at at time that sometimes don't make meaning to the topic, but this is a very good rant, and i'm glad to be replying XD

~ Whisper

Avatar by Chezdip on Lioden || Signature by Jackdaw ♥
In-Game As Whisperingwaves

AlphaEclipse

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 09:35:21 pm »

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 05:39:26 am »
I think how people got the word illiterate to call a person who doesn't use those incorrect words and doesn't post 14 times to explain how they got to the creek to take a drink is from the secondary meaning of illiterate. Illiterate can also mean ignorance in a certain language, or poorly educated in literacy.

What's funny is that these guys are easily offended. It's like they are part of a cult. You can say something like "lol wolfspeak" and they will go on a lecture on how illiterate you are and they are better than you because their dark colored wolf is a hyper-realistic pixel pile, when they haven't even seen your roleplay posts. It's like they think them and their group are the only "literate" players in the game, which is very close minded/arrogant of themselves.

On another thought, I saw wolfspeak on Animal Jam the last time I went on there. Wolfspeak is the new yoloswag now it seems.