Author Topic: Unrealistic Characters VS The Truth?  (Read 5617 times)

Offline xXQueenXx

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • Sippin tea
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/
    • View Profile
Unrealistic Characters VS The Truth?
« on: June 22, 2014, 02:55:58 pm »
Please ignore the crazy title. xD  Keep in mind that I'm honestly just thinking out loud here and this is probably incredible inaccurate..
Alrighty, lets begin.

So lately there's been many rants about "unrealistic" people and "illiterates" bothering RPs and such.  But wait a second.  Lets take Fluorite Plains for example, it has crystals in the ocean.  In other words, it can't be completely realistic.  So when people who look slightly "illiterate" ask to join in the role play, I think it's incredibly rude to say no to them.  Because yes, they may not have the best roleplaying skills in the world, but the maps aren't even completely realistic themselves, so for all we know, that "unrealistic" person might just be the most "realistic" character in that map.  So how can we say no to someone who wants to be different and creative?  It's a crazy thought and most probably completely untrue but oh well.
So, what am I trying to say here?
I'm saying that we, as a community, shouldn't even think about neglecting those "unrealistic" and "illiterate" users from role-plays.  If it is their roleplaying that is the issue then how did you learn how to properly role-play?  Everyone has to start somewhere!  I think we should look out for our fellow roleplaying newbs and help them.  And at the end of the day, who are we to judge someone's character based off what they decided to appear as?  It's their character.  Therefore, their choice.

I'm not sure, what do you guys think?  Do you think it's right to deny them from role-plays?  Because I feel like I watch it happen way too much and it makes me rather sad to watch them get neglected from all the fun. :c

« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 01:51:27 pm by Clo »

Offline Aniuk

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 61
  • mesh requests? pm me~
    • giddyfox
    • View Profile
Re: Unrealistic Characters VS The Truth?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 03:33:32 pm »
Hi Queen. I see where you are coming from.
Lots of unrealistic/illiterate people do get excluded from roleplays.
Your point about the crystals in the ocean I had never thought about before, and I think that  was a fair argument and really added to your point.
I agree with you that roleplays being held in public maps shouldn't exclude unrealistic people. However, I understand why illiterate people get excluded.
Not only would they be a bit bothersome with single-sentence posts with various grammar errors, but it might be hard for them to understand the more literate people in the roleplay.

For example: [Ignore the awkward names xD]
Maximus RRH: Max trotted through the large thicket, attempting to keep quiet. His brown fur was tinted blue in the moonlight which only helped him blend in with the blue-green grasses... (and so on.)

ruby rrf: ruby wlked arnd the feild and lyed down in the grass and sayed how beautiful the moon

-

I could see how that would be quite frustrating. As for unrealistic characters, I think that in private maps that are based off of real life (with no crystals) have perfect reason to deny someone who might not fit the bill in realism.
For example, a pitch black wolf with pink eyes trying to join a Yellowstone RP just might not work out for the roleplay leader.

Overall, I do see where you are coming from. Some people get very rude.

Thank you for sharing your opinions and letting us share ours back!

sig by pokrova on deviantART

Offline xmapleleafx

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 09:06:21 pm »
There's two types of unrealistic characters: There's creative or someone trying to fit in in the realistics. With the creative, I think it's brilliant that they make their chars so colourful and Patterened; I think those characters are the best. At the end of the day, it's a game- not real life.

With the people who are called unrealistic, it's not fair for them. Most are new to the game and can't make number one top realistic characters; I mean come on. I think people should treat those people normally, because behind the screen they are just like you, but just new to the game!

It's really frustrating for people who get rejected from groups. A lot are oblivious to why they got turned down, and sometimes unrealistics can't even get into a group at all. We all had started off like beginners, the people who act like they've always been realistic make me angry!

At the end of the day, unrealistics will proberly get used to the game and become realistic, if we actually helped them and treated them like the ordinary feralhearter!

~ maple
Insert a fancy signature here.

Offline Wolfie_Lover

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 09:41:33 pm »
I remember using my "lazy style" of typing in Local (where I type like an "illiterate" person, such as poor capitalization, spelling, and punctuation), and I wanted to join this amazingly plotted (to me it was amazing, others have their opinions of course) wolf pack. I was currently on my character Princely, and I remained using my "lazy style" of typing. I asked, exactly like this, "can i join the pack??" and their reply was "No, we do not accept illiterate people." Well, okay, thank you for that - just what I needed to get my day started.
I then, calmly despite me feeling slightly furious, replied "Oh, I apologize. I will take my own business elsewhere as it's obvious that I'm not welcome here. Sorry for not earning a rank within your role-play." (It's been a growing habit of mine to embarrass others with my "illiterate" / "literate" mood changes. uwu) They either logged out completely or ran off to their map seconds after - I'm guessing after reading it before they poofed offwards, but then again I never know.
They didn't even let me fill out a role-play sample, which made me even more furious. This is the third time this month, too.

Now, for "unrealistic" characters (I just normally use shades of browns, blacks, whites, creams, etc. with role-play group characters but range from other colors for private role-plays [including Parties and whatnot]. It just depends on that. A great example would be Wolfie, the characters in the avatar and signature of mine), I can't say much about it. I do have a thing for that in Warriors role-plays, though I've found out that I'm not quite alone; I cannot stand if their character is completely blue (and not gray-blue, but blue) or any other color than what they're supposed to be. Atleast for a "realistic" Warriors role-play, if it's any other, I'm perfectly fine with it.
That's about it that irks me for "unrealistic" characters. There are those bright neons, but they don't really bother me unless they're blinding me, right in my camera, or on my character (trolls, basically -snort-).
-Wolfie

Offline Levi-Heichou-AoT

• Curious Wanderer
  • damian wayne tho
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 11:38:19 am »
I partly agree on what you're saying, but there are differences.

Some people have high standards and tolerance. As if anyone has heard a 'mature' roleplay? Where it contains gore and language? Sometimes realism / literacy is required there- expecting some older people that have experienced strict roleplays.

A 'strict' roleplay is no place for an illiterate either- considering that its strict ways could affect them. Then there is the strictly literates, were illiterates aren't welcome.

I honestly love unrealistic and all literacy roleplays- it lets all come together as one. Sadly... we don't have those roleplays anymore, considering FH is going down the drain with its roleplays. All it really is anymore is mapped warrior cat roleplays..

I was never outcasted when I first joined FeralHeart in 2010 [another account of course]- because I didn't know what a roleplay was... but after getting some roleplay skill I decided to then join a RP. But I heard it's really depressing to see a somewhat realistic character that is illiterate, but oddly sweet, get turned down.

Offline Spottedbears

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 41
  • mister sandman, bring me a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 02:42:11 pm »
i think the problem is that lots of people ASK for certain types of roleplays, and when someone takes the time out to make a map, a plot, a website, they are turned down by the person saying "i guess there are none. i will join x roleplay over there" even though the first person has started advertising. [this is a little off topic but @Twelve] as well as, "literate" people don't like to socialize with "illiterates" mainly because they are bad at typing. My first roleplay was very welcoming: they taught me what a map was, and they taught me how to roleplay even though i'd no idea what roleplaying was, and i just wanted to join a warrior cats' group.

but i think that "the truth" is that no one will EVER be realistic in feral heart. it's impossible! the characters are cartoony for a reason, and that is so that they'll never be completely and utterly realistic. i think unrealistic characters are the truth

Art by me!
DA: Chrome-domey
Tumblr: Cassiopirate
Need preset, animating, or map help? PM me!

Offline Boomi

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
    • ~My Blog~
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 06:06:28 pm »
I am annoyed by very realistic people on Feral Heart
Probably because I am so weird and unrealistic.
And I love being a neon colored cat that is unrealistic saying weird stuff that can't roleplay.
Well, that's how I play Feral Heart.
Do weird stuff.
I hide inside rocks and defy physics, and doing other weird and non-realistic stuff.
I even have a character that is a poop.

~A Chicken With Big Toes~

Offline deemsss1234

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
  • Idiocy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 12:07:13 pm »
First off, I hate the fact that when someone is unrealistic, many IMMEDIATELY think they are illit too. I hate it. :I

The part about 'realistic' groups I most hate, is that most aren't even realistic. =-=
Come on, lions do NOT have any marking at all, females don't have mane, wolves don't have markings nor mane either. Yet you will get accepted in a 'realistic' group when your char has realistic COLOURS.
I hate that fact so much. And of course, there are realistic groups that truly are realistic, and don't allow mane on female lions/wolves, don't allow markings or weird eye colours. But most are 'realistic' when the char has colours that animals could possibly have.(Brown wolf with black stripes on his paws and bright blue eyes? Totally real.)
And about illiterates, well they can be a little annoying at first... But you can always help those people to become better at RPing and all. I admit that I don't accept people who are extremely illiterate tho, but imo most people on FH are literate enough for most groups. Well, for my group. ;p

When I came on FH, I was kind of literate already since I leant RPing on wolfquest. Together with spelling harder English words since you HAD to spell everything right there.
But I never was realistic. I just CAN'T make realistic chars. My main char is a little pink lion with blue mane, srsly. And I hate it that people just always think: "Unrealistic lion, she must be illiterate too."
It just makes me so angry. But the group I have(All species accepting extremely unrealistic group) has so many great LITERATE and UNREALISTIC people in it. I have some people which are a bit more illiterate, but I help them and nobody is bothered by them at all. :3
(I know it is a little bit long ago this topic started, but I just HAD to give my opinion on this. :I)
VirtualWorlds.Boards.Net
Game character based RP group

Offline Kastilla

• my mind is a sieve for inspiration.
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 71
  • [ ] make time go faster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 02:15:12 pm »
(Pardon moi, this may not make any sense but I am trying very hard.)
I /hate when people judge me for my characters, even in real life. It irritates me, especially with my characters(not saying anyone else is not like this as well) I plan them out very carefully, I take time to "organize their soul".
With the illiterates; I don't mind them. In my roleplays, mostly everyone is welcome. I take pleasure seeing the unrealistic characters romping around, it makes me feel happy that they are able to express theirselves like I can.
Hopefully you understood that, I am not good at voicing my opinion.
stinky dog coming through, don't mind me!

Offline Wolfie_Lover

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 08:21:39 pm »
The part about 'realistic' groups I most hate, is that most aren't even realistic. =-=
Come on, lions do NOT have any marking at all, females don't have mane, wolves don't have markings nor mane either. Yet you will get accepted in a 'realistic' group when your char has realistic COLOURS.
I hate that fact so much. And of course, there are realistic groups that truly are realistic, and don't allow mane on female lions/wolves, don't allow markings or weird eye colours. But most are 'realistic' when the char has colours that animals could possibly have.(Brown wolf with black stripes on his paws and bright blue eyes? Totally real.)

Actually, a lioness with a mane is actually realistic - though it's not a full mane. High testosterone levels create the mane, but it's never as large as the lion's mane.
About the markings for lions, I have to agree and disagree at the same time. I normally put markings (though try to blend them into the coat, especially for my maned lioness Luryes) on them - but nothing like the tiger stripes, butt stripes, etc. Lions don't necessarily have stripes, even in the most unusual cases, but they can have spots. It's a natrual phenomenon, actually, where a full grown lion will have their cub spots still intact (I don't really know what it's call though. -nervous laugh-)
And, about the wolf thing, I do have to agree - but disagree again. Well, FeralHeart itself, as stated by Spottedbears, it's not a realistic game. Too cartoonish, but still fun. Every one of my characters has to have markings or I will feel naked on the game, so it doesn't matter either way.

But I do agree with your statement about "illiterate people aren't always realistic" - because it's true.
I've been in multiple role-plays that have called for realistic characters and there's always a few that don't quite have a perfect sense of it - but are perfectly literate.
Same goes with Warriors. I've seen many, many of those, and half of them aren't realistic (heck, can any be realistic? They're considered large and there's no cat markings / realistic fur textures unless you get it modded or get a preset) but can managed a huge, literate role-play post.

And, your statment on the blue eyed wolf, I completely agree. I cannot understand how it's considered realistic if most characters are albino, have melanism, or have realistic features without any birth defects / mutations.
They would be considered "semi-realistic" if they had any of these features within a realistic lion role-play, or any role-play for that matter.
-Wolfie