Author Topic: Kopa, Kiara, and- Kion?  (Read 22301 times)

Offline Jackkdaw

• The Fabulous
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 138
  • actual cannibal
    • http://jackkdaw.deviantart.com/
    • View Profile
Kopa, Kiara, and- Kion?
« on: June 14, 2014, 09:47:43 pm »
Okay.
Most of us know who Kiara is- Simba & Nala's daughter from the Lion King 2 movie, and Kopa, who is the forgotten first son of Simba & Nala from a book series. Those two have been well accepted as TLK canon cubs for a good while, now.

But then....

Disney Jr. plans to release a new animated series in 2016 called "The Lion Guard" following Simba & Nala's "son," Kion.

There are many things that just utterly bother me about that.

To be frank- I absolutely hate Kion's design & even just the concept of another Simba's son.
It's hard to see in the only two released screencaps, but it appears as if Kion has a "birthmark" or some type of mark in the shape of a pawprint on his shoulder, as well as a few spots on his legs. While spots for lion cubs are an obvious natural thing that they all should have, what's with the paw print? Seriously. Also the odd, pinkish streaks in his mane, as well as the fact that his eye whites are white, not yellow like all other lions from TLK.

May sound a bit bold, but I definitely refuse to accept this as Simba's son.

Don't get me wrong, I'm super happy that Disney is finally doing something to resurrect TLK- but doing it this way is just- no. I know it's targeted for a young audience, but still- why not finally incorporate Kopa into their "TLK family" instead of creating an entire new character? Why not have the series be based on Kiara & Kovu's cubs rather than yet another carbon copy of Simba?

I really don't know how to feel about their "The Lion Guard" pitch. Only time will tell if it'll all pull together or not- but for now, I absolutely hate the concept of Kion & his general design.

You can read about the upcoming television series here: The Lion Guard

What are y'all's thoughts on Kion and the upcoming series?
In-Game as: Jackkdaw
On DeviantART as Jackkdaw
sig by me

Offline angelre0702

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 42
  • Been here a while.
    • killingcve
    • View Profile
Re: Kopa, Kiara, and- Kion?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 10:12:50 pm »
Aye, this really ruffles my fur. What's with that bright red highlighted mane..!? I can't even- I'm happy that they are reviving TLK, but I agree with you 100%. Why couldn't they bring back a cannon-based character, I mean, now we're most likely going to see a neon yellow cub with a pink mane running around in Lagfire. Here we go..

Offline .Priceless.

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • The one he warned ya 'bout.
    • View Profile
    • Rattlesnake Alley
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 10:22:50 pm »
So the Lion King continues? That's a slight surprise, I thought they were done with making movies for TLK. But I like the idea of of them continuing and starting a series.. Yet I think they need to be careful of what they decide to put in the upcoming series, as just the slightest things could disappoint their audience, due to their previous very well made movies.

I also do see your point.. Neither am I too fond of Kion's looks, somehow the paw prints just don't look right, or appropriate for the 'lion king looks'. It's also quite well spotted that his eye whites are white, whereof all other characters from the Lion King have yellow eye whites.. I wouldn't myself have noticed that.

I have a feeling the upcoming series may disappoint some. But I'm still excited for the final results.~

Ask Me || DeviantArt
In-game as .Priceless.

wolfdog01

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 07:51:29 am »
I agree with you 100%
I really don't know what to think of this....this...son....of Simba, it's very strange and I really hate the mane and pawprint marks, if they didn't have that then yeah, might not be AS bad. The yellow on the eyes does bug me some, but not as much as the idea of him being Simba's son....like....really?
I agree with you, they should pop in Kopa instead of this thing they call Kion. I'm scared to know what his voice will sound like...

Offline shayy

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 73
  • World Class Shawty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 01:01:34 pm »
I completely agree with everything you stated. Another copy of Simba is just a 'bad' idea. And what really bugs me the most, is that that young generation who will watch this will probably never know the REAL TLK stories the way we do, and I feel the whole story and concept will die with us.
pm for free art i need practice

Offline unnbrellas

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 68
  • "fight me" i scream from under my bed
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 02:50:00 pm »
Oh god not another disney sequel.

I personally hate 90% of disney sequels, including the second tlk. So no, not looking foward to this. I agree with you about the design, it's terrible.

Formerly MochaCocoa; Find me ingame as ErikaFishhy!
Signature by ???????????�??

Offline Spottedbears

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 41
  • mister sandman, bring me a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 03:38:56 pm »
personally, i think it's a great idea. i don't want to watch it myself, but come on guys. really? this is made by disney JR and if you haven't noticed, everything they have is to boost and strengthen creativity in kids. it's not our job to sit here and ridicule the makers of this, because it's not our place to. this wasn't made for us, -- have you heard about the "bronies" that argue that season 4 of MLP was aimed towards natural viewers and didn't meet their aspects? that is the most ridiculous thing ever.

i think it is a great idea! because it's aimed towards little kids. lots of people here on FH are very creative, and i think they're trying to pass creativity onto the younger kids. it's okay to make your own character that's different!

Art by me!
DA: Chrome-domey
Tumblr: Cassiopirate
Need preset, animating, or map help? PM me!

wolfdog01

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 03:51:54 pm »
personally, i think it's a great idea. i don't want to watch it myself, but come on guys. really? this is made by disney JR and if you haven't noticed, everything they have is to boost and strengthen creativity in kids. it's not our job to sit here and ridicule the makers of this, because it's not our place to. this wasn't made for us, -- have you heard about the "bronies" that argue that season 4 of MLP was aimed towards natural viewers and didn't meet their aspects? that is the most ridiculous thing ever.

i think it is a great idea! because it's aimed towards little kids. lots of people here on FH are very creative, and i think they're trying to pass creativity onto the younger kids. it's okay to make your own character that's different!
I can understand it being aimed toward little kids, but the older siblings of these little kids could feel a bit offended if they grew up with TLK and they see this. I think that the younger generation should grow up with the truth, Disney easily could have made it been Kopa instead, so that way they could include him within TLK family. Because if they grow up wit Kion and then they find out that he was just kinda an add on then they might feel disappointed that they didn't get the real LK. And it's also strange how he is the son of Simba but yet he doesn't seem to look a whole lot like the parents with the paw marks and weird hairdo. But that's just me, this whole Kion thing upsets me a lot because I grew up, and loved TLK, it's second fav. next to TNBC.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 03:54:59 pm by ~Thyme~ »

Offline xXQueenXx

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • Sippin tea
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 06:26:16 pm »
Wow. I totally agree with you on this.  When I found out a few days ago it irritated me a bit too.  It's almost insulting how they decided to bring in yet another son of Simba and Nala's when they haven't even mentioned Kopa's name.  I'm rather curious to see how this will all play out; if 'Kion' will be a fun and interesting character to follow or not because if that's the case, I'm not sure I'd be such a bit fan of  'The Lion Guard'.

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 344
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 09:26:30 pm »
I strongly agree with what you mentioned, Moriarty. I personally dislike how they made this for a young audience and not limited to all ages. Also how they've introduced some sort of paw 'birthmark' is it? It's quite a big step for a Lion King feature. It's not all bad I suppose, but it's too much to take in for many TLK fans. I appreciate how they're trying to morph new features and new 'cool' things to the TLK movies, but it's too different, too modern, especially for one of the hit Disney animated movies.

However, I guess we shall see what this 'Lion Guard' is about when it is released. Maybe it's not so bad as we see it today, heck we haven't even watched it yet. Maybe his friends, as mentioned in the 'Lion Guard' announcement, are more natural. It would be nice to see more characters leading onto new adventures, time will tell.

Pixel Doll Commissioned and Coloured by RingoKioko
Inactive // Retired // Gone