Author Topic: What is Creativity?  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
What is Creativity?
« on: July 15, 2015, 11:15:49 pm »
You've probably heard someone say, "You're not very creative," or "that's not very creative." But do they actually mean what they say? What exactly is creativity? One might argue that creativity is a form of "self-expression." Do you really mean to tell someone that they're unable to express themselves? It all comes down to what you think creativity is.

This topic isn't focused on one person calling another person "uncreative"- It's about creativity in general. What is creativity? Or better phrased, how do you perceive creativity? Is creativity the same for everyone? What makes you decide if something is or isn't "creative?" You might consider putting aside everything you think you know about creativity, and actually think about what it means to you.

I want to hear your thoughts on this. They can be straight-forward and factual, or they can be humorous, but I'd like you to spend a moment to think about it. Y'know, get creative.

All Forum Rules apply to this, too, by the way. Remember that everyone has their own opinion. c:

Also, I looked through some older threads, and I couldn't find one discussing this particular topic. If I'm at a disadvantage, let me know, and the staff can lock this.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 11:20:09 pm by warriorstrike »

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
Re: What is Creativity?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 11:30:08 pm »
Well, let's look at the definition of it, aye?

the use of the imagination or original ideas, especially in the production of an artistic work.

synonyms: inventiveness, imagination, innovation, innovativeness, originality, individuality[/lightgray]

Honestly, this is apart of how I view creativity.

To me, Creativity is a very strange and ever-changing thing. It's a way to self-express, let things be known, get around obstacles, and to word things in a way that paints a picture, so to speak.

Creativity is not limited to artwork, whether it be painting, claywork, 3D modeling, pixelart, animation, photography, ect.

It's much more.
It's a person's way of doing things, mostly in their own original way, of how they view things, their take on things, feel, experience, and so many other things that I could go on for hours about.

Most people think of art when they hear Creativity, and, I do as well. As that's the most common form.
But another form of creativity is creating things.
This goes in hand with art, and other things.
Such as: Writing, Speech-making, Debate preparation, Acting, Dancing, Singing, Song-writing, Poetry.

It's a way to show one's personality, individuality, and the original things they can do.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Echoing harmony

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 04:04:00 pm »
Well, I myself have always been bullied with being creative in alot of things.

I sometimes like to see it as standing out from the others or being different.

Offline ritat

• Incarnated Angel
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 156
  • Will be inactive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 04:30:34 pm »
Good question, Warriorstrike. ;)

(This is what creativity means to me, in my own words)
What is creativity?: Creativity is imagination going in different directions. What I mean by that is when you think of something, it is combined with all sorts of things and shapes. Some people may not be as creative as others, but that does not mean they cannot be creative or are not. It is not only self expression, but it is the way your mind puts things together in an artistic way. For example, I am a creative person, and when I do something creative in a dance I do it to make things become more interesting and beautiful. :3

Is creativity same for everyone?: Honestly, no. Everyone has a different way of being creative because their imagination is different. Some people don't have a strong sense of creativity, but they are still creative. But others have stronger sense of creativity, so if they were to do something amazing on a paper their skills may be better.

What makes you decide if something is or isn't creative?: Well, since this is linked with art I'll go to that side. When people do art, you may consider some as bad art or good art, but even if you think that it is still an art. So if you were to say someone or something is not or is creative, they are always going to have creativity because people are not in the same levels.

Offline Panzram

• Reject false icons
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 95
  • Chai tea addict
    • Koicrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 05:54:35 pm »
Ahh- what is creativity to me?

This is a wonderful topic, in my opinion. I'm not too sure if I can really answer these questions but I'll try to the best of my abilities.
Creativity is something I have trouble with. I can't seem to grasp or understand the exact meaning but to be honest, it has so many different meanings or interpretations that the possibilities are absolutely endless. What is creative and what isn't- I can't say that applies to most things. Everything you see has to be in some creative form or another. They were thought of in ways that might be different to what others would think up. With creativity, absolutely anything is possible whether it be fantasy, different species, realms, anything that has to do with imagination and the way people wander in their own thoughts. The designs you see on shirts, pillows, or maybe graffiti art on some wall outside. Art? That's another thing, of course.
When you are creative, you tend to go out of your way and do things rather "differently." It's a form of self-expression that determines who exactly you are and what you're capable of. Your level of imagination can change the outcome of things, whether it be for the best or for worse. You tend to see the world in different ways if you are someone who's more creative in a physical aspect such as parkour. You're able to shove a different yet impacting view or interpretation in something through creative works of literature or art. Creativity is truly limitless in a sense, and it's something everybody has no matter what they might think. I thought I wasn't creative because I wasn't able to think of original thoughts. But perhaps that's different.

Creativity definitely isn't the same for everyone. This was just my own interpretation. So many others may think of it differently and that's alright. They're being creative in their answers and well- Creativity.

And to decide if something is creative or isn't- I somewhat answered that already above. Everything that people do can be considered creative. If they put thought into it, entwined with imagination, or it reveals a part of them in some way shape or form, then I consider it to be creative. There is no "good" or "bad" art. There's no wrong way of doing parkour- unless you were purposely trying to injure yourself which isn't really creative, just horribly stupid. There's no set way you have to make music, or dance. There's no set way you have to perform on stage! These are things you can experiment with, play around. It's who you are.

This ended up much more lengthier than I thought.

In-game user: Panzramic

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 06:24:52 pm »
stuff's getting deep in the feralheart forums
lol

Everyone has creativity. It's how we as humans evolved. Long story short, creativity is an previous idea that is more thought out, making it a new thing. No one is 100% original with their creativity, unless they are the new Albern Einstien. Some people make creativity with ease, and others have trouble with creativity. That's normal. Complex creativity is not required in life, but simplify copying someone's work is a no-go. To put it simpily, creativity is what makes us human. It's a natural instinct. It varies depending on the person.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 06:26:55 pm by jengatower »