Author Topic: FeralHeart's Beta Features (2010 ShadyVox interview)  (Read 2728 times)

Offline SpazPaint

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
    • View Profile
FeralHeart's Beta Features (2010 ShadyVox interview)
« on: August 07, 2018, 06:19:28 pm »
Back in 2010, Slycan interviewed Shadyvox, a former IT admin and the director of FeralHeart's unreleased campaign mode. In the interview, they discuss the features and design choices that were planned to be in FH before its release. I find it really interesting to go back and see what the dev team were planning on implementing and what features were removed.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Some of the features included (but aren't limited to):
Campaign/story mode
PVP mode
Fully-voiced NPCs
Quests
Ability to give/receive items to/from NPCs

Offline Ellen11v

• Don't open, blue inside
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 276
  • Bye :)
    • Lousiem
    • EllenPlayz
    • View Profile
    • Global Moderator of an IT server
Re: FeralHeart's Beta Features (2010 ShadyVox interview)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 06:35:31 pm »
What?! This is so awesome! I never knew these things about Feral Heart. This interview is pretty neat :o
Thank you for sharing this with us! ;o
doing what i feel like

Offline Kastilla

• my mind is a sieve for inspiration.
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 71
  • [ ] make time go faster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 06:51:12 pm »
I have watched these oh-so long ago! ^_^ I wasn't quite sure if they were still around.

Thank you for informing the community once more!
stinky dog coming through, don't mind me!

Offline SpazPaint

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 07:03:29 pm »
You both are very welcome!
I came across these a while ago and just felt like sharing them with you guys! I never knew that FH was supposed to have these features either---I was surpised! I like to think about how much different FH would've been if it had all the original ideas left in :D

Offline Morqque

• A Positive Nihilist
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 123
  • In the shadow of the light from a black sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 07:14:30 pm »
Where that's a blast from the past. I honestly never knew a campaign let along npc function where in concept. I wonder, what would FeralHeart be like now if it happened?

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 09:08:39 pm »
Oh man the memories... brings me back to when I was eagerly awaiting the release of FH. It was always so exciting when the dev team would discuss or release tiny sneak peeks. It’s sort of bitter sweet listening to these again... You can’t help but wonder why LKD left so suddenly without any explanation as to why. Why things ended up the way they had... When you listen to these you can hear the enthusiasm about the whole project, and all the planned content. FH’s dev team really put a lot of love, imagination, and thought into building this project. So many things we still may never know that were planned. FH has come a long way <3

Thanks for sharing these good old flash back links with us Spazpaint ^^

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 09:18:57 pm »
This almost could encourage me to try & re-attempt making a single player simulator.
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"

Offline Edolicious

• Luck o' the Irish
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 108
  • Luck O' the Irish
    • Edolicious
    • Edolicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 09:54:00 pm »
I would've loved to see all this stuff put into the game. It would've made everything so interesting, dang. The fully-voiced NPCs and PVP modes are what I would be the most stoked for. That sounds like so much fun!
Sig by https://twitter.com/limesquares
Avatar by https://deviantart.com/atachi00
Always do the right thing, even if no one is watching.

Offline Tigg

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Your right hand on 3D-Meshes
    • t-i-g-g
    • channel/UCKuFJTwBJf94Tq07oVBNMrA
    • TiggDarkfury
    • View Profile
    • Isla Thanatos Gameserver
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 10:14:22 pm »
Oh god i remember this.
There was more stuff planned but... This is more bitter than sweet for me and brings back the memories how much i felt kinda, i dunno, betrayed... I was personally involved into the planning. I had made manes, tails tufts etc. for the game.
I have outlayed and planned features. None of them got realised and the people where just left behind.
I do know the reasons LKD had, but one of them is so ver-.... Excuse me, that doesnt belong in here.

Yes FH had big plans and an eager team. I am very sad none of the good stuff made it inside.

For me, i moved along to my own little game where i can add, create and update what i plan to have or what my players want. So im good right now!

Offline SpazPaint

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 11:47:12 pm »
I'm glad that this post is making people feel happy and nostalgic! I thought it'd be fun to share some old stuff to compare it to the current game and to see how the older members would react. Watching these kinds of videos while the game was still being developed must've been really exciting!

Oh god i remember this.
There was more stuff planned but... This is more bitter than sweet for me and brings back the memories how much i felt kinda, i dunno, betrayed... I was personally involved into the planning. I had made manes, tails tufts etc. for the game.
I have outlayed and planned features. None of them got realised and the people where just left behind.
I do know the reasons LKD had, but one of them is so ver-.... Excuse me, that doesnt belong in here.

Yes FH had big plans and an eager team. I am very sad none of the good stuff made it inside.

Watching stuff that you've put HOURS into reach the cutting room floor...that's gotta hurt. I understand your feelings on this subject. Kovu's plans for FH seemed really ambitious and pretty promising. To see that almost every new idea planned for it got scrapped...seems pretty odd? I always feel bad for artists, programmers, designers, etc. that get their hard work modified or removed.
I really feel bad for Shady too, seeing as he was the lead director AND voice actor of a defunct mode. Knowing how excited he was to work on it and seeing it get deleted...kinda stings in retrospect