Author Topic: The Chat  (Read 7129 times)

Offline Xenek

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
  • Meh
    • View Profile
The Chat
« on: March 25, 2017, 04:26:18 am »
My idea for the chat is to have a limit for how many posts are remembered by the game. Limiting how many posts you can scroll through would allow everyone to actually scroll through everything without several posts at a time not being seen due to the overload of just how many there are.

I just ran into this issue earlier today while roleplaying- a few different people posted at the same time, long posts, and it was incredibly difficult to see what the first one said, due to it being skipped to one from before that. Not only are entire posts skipped once the game has been open for a while with posts continuing to come in, but a sentence or two within a single post ends up being incapable of being seen until more people post, moving that specific one into just the right position to actually see all of it.

If you want to have the game remember absolutely everything said, then limit the amount of posts the current chat window can have on it, adding a "see older chats" option at the top that can open a new window that shows everything that has been said.

Or, if the amount of posts isn't the issue, possibly edit the scrollbar to be easier to use. For example, like the one this forum and typically all of the internet uses - it gets smaller as there is more to see, and slides fluidly instead of in the a block-like fashion that the game currently has.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 07:21:29 am by Xenek »

Offline Cookie202

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 20
  • its ya gorl
    • Cookie202
    • View Profile
Re: The Chat
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 04:29:44 am »
Wow, I really like this idea. I've often had trouble scrolling through the chat when I've been online for a long period of time, which can make RPing difficult if I miss someone's post or go AFK and have to scroll up to read it. I'd love this!
Signature by Regularities || Icon by CaptainFlare

Offline Edolicious

• Luck o' the Irish
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 108
  • Luck O' the Irish
    • Edolicious
    • Edolicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 04:38:38 am »
This would be a lovely touch to add onto the game, especially given the optional 'show older posts' bit. I like that a lot. Seeing something like this put in would be neat!
Sig by https://twitter.com/limesquares
Avatar by https://deviantart.com/atachi00
Always do the right thing, even if no one is watching.

Offline Azurain

• 🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃
  • Member Of The Season
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 183
  • an actual forest gremlin
    • lark-bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 04:40:22 am »
I really like the idea myself, even though if I ever rp I usually do it in another chat so it's a different color than the normal local white and it stands out more.

Offline G4RG0YLE

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 170
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 08:18:26 am »
Sometimes a suggestion for "saving" the posts that you've missed is to scroll up and screenshot it quickly so the incoming posts won't constantly make you look back to the very bottom of the chat box. I've always done so to keep up if I ever roleplay (which isn't often), yet I agree with the idea that the scrolling bar on the chat box should be edited in some way to be "easier" to use.
Thanks for sharing your ideas, floof!

© short ' cakes on Discord ♡

Offline pIuto

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • PRIMAL
    • orikoo
    • relationstinks
    • teethguts
    • View Profile
    • Primal
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 12:11:45 am »
Absolutely love this idea.

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 01:34:58 am »
This would be an awesome idea! I can't tell you how many times i've struggled through miles and miles of chat to look at what's been said in local.
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Gigi

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 03:15:03 pm »
I support this idea. It makes life more easier. :D

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 10:18:11 pm »
This is a great idea for people chatting or roleplaying in local chat. However, the problem you put to the table can be solved by roleplaying in group or party chat and muting local.
I believe muting a chat will make it disappear instantly in the chatbox also, so reading roleplay posts in group chat after you come back after being AFK can be easier. Correct me if I'm wrong.

ForestHysteria

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 03:32:04 am »
I think this is a good idea, since chat sometimes moves faster than people on black friday. I support it :D