Author Topic: Regarding the Floof-o-Meter  (Read 4179 times)

Offline Vacio

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • View Profile
Regarding the Floof-o-Meter
« on: November 05, 2013, 03:23:46 am »
It's come to my attention that alot of people get confused over what this is, And so make threads about it "What's a floof-o-meter?!"
So users have to answer this question time and time again.

• So on to my suggestion:

• It's simple, make a thread that explains the Floof-o-Meter, and pin it up for users to see; And perhaps as the user is going to make the "What's a floof-o-meter?!" thread they will actually see it and the problem is solved. (Could be carried out in another manner, but I assume everyone understands the concept.)

• Another; and less likely soltion (just to throw this out there) Changing the name of "Floof-o-meter" to something people understand better; example, Something along the lines of "Respect".

Offline Feareh

• The Jaguar Artist
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 195
  • Where is the Walrus Species?
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding the Floof-o-Meter
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 03:44:11 am »
1) There is a reason why staff members leave old "What is Floof-o meter" where they are. so other people can stumble on them and find out that way. Usually its relatively younger members who come here that make the mistake in asking "what is a Floof-o Meter' when there is in fact dozens of those same threads answered. So really, if people would do some digging around in the forums, they would get there answers from other threads.

2) I think the name "Floof-O-Metter" is a pretty good name fit, comparing to the overall theme here really.
I Stalk from time to time...I have moved on to other things but do miss this place. Good times
Add me on discord:
Bakujio 🐺#7358

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 04:05:27 am »
It's a nice thought but as Feareh said there are plenty threads that already discuss what the floof o meter is. There's not much point in adding another one if it will probably get unseen to many of the new users as the old threads have. Maybe we can include like a forum tutorial that explains it but again I'm not totally sure how necessary that would be.

As for the name I like it the way it is really ^^ It sounds more unique, neutral, and friendly to me. It's a Feral Heart made up way of saying karma and the term floof has gotten pretty popular around here so I don't see much reason to change it.

Offline Vacio

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 06:13:01 am »
It's come to my attention that alot of people get confused over what this is, And so make threads about it "What's a floof-o-meter?!"
So users have to answer this question time and time again.

• So on to my suggestion:

• It's simple, make a thread that explains the Floof-o-Meter, and pin it up for users to see; And perhaps as the user is going to make the "What's a floof-o-meter?!" thread they will actually see it and the problem is solved. (Could be carried out in another manner, but I assume everyone understands the concept.)

• Another; and less likely soltion (just to throw this out there) Changing the name of "Floof-o-meter" to something people understand better; example, Something along the lines of "Respect".

Because I believe people are ignoring that part.  :) There is currently no thread that states what it is that people will easily see.  

I tried to make it easier for everyone to read this. So do me a favour and read it. ^^

And: Edit:

As a response to:

@Feareh: I never said to remove any threads. I am stating that It should be easier for the said younger members to see a thread that tells what a Floof-o-meter is, On a thread that will not get pushed down.

Changing the name was a secondary solution to the problem, I never said "This needs to be changed" to clear that up.

@LordSuragaha: If there is already a thread, That is okay, What I'm saying is to pin it up at the top of the board.

Also, I believe a FAQ would work better than a tutorial.

And again, The name is not the main reason for this thread, but simply another solution for the sake in-put of options.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 06:25:41 am by Vacio »

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 03:55:44 pm »
pin it up for users to see;
Believe me, we do understand where you're coming from. Problem is, though, Sura and Feareh pointed out that more times than not, users will.. Well, overlook everything else-- they just want to post their question without researching it first.
Even if we posted it right in Forum Discussion as a sticky, consider what happens with the Game Discussion board right now, regarding help threads.
Go look at it, now, and you'll see that there is a very distinct "No help threads here!!!" sticky, right there.

But, how many help threads actually do get posted in there to begin with?
I know every few days, I myself end up having to move one or two over to Game Help, since they completely overlooked the obvious sticky there. Even though we took precautions to make sure it's inevitable that they will see the "no help threads here" message, kids will still often fail to notice these.

I feel like the same may go for a sticky about the Floof-O-Meter in the Forum Discussion board. While I do see where it might be somewhat helpful, odds are there will still be more of these questions popping up. Plus, as Feareh mentioned, there are old locked "What's a Floof-O-Meter?" threads still in there as a reminder in its own right.

So, we do appreciate the input, but I don't think this one has any real, dire need to be implemented right now.
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||

Offline Vacio

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 05:22:34 pm »
pin it up for users to see;
Believe me, we do understand where you're coming from. Problem is, though, Sura and Feareh pointed out that more times than not, users will.. Well, overlook everything else-- they just want to post their question without researching it first.
Even if we posted it right in Forum Discussion as a sticky, consider what happens with the Game Discussion board right now, regarding help threads.
Go look at it, now, and you'll see that there is a very distinct "No help threads here!!!" sticky, right there.

But, how many help threads actually do get posted in there to begin with?
I know every few days, I myself end up having to move one or two over to Game Help, since they completely overlooked the obvious sticky there. Even though we took precautions to make sure it's inevitable that they will see the "no help threads here" message, kids will still often fail to notice these.

I feel like the same may go for a sticky about the Floof-O-Meter in the Forum Discussion board. While I do see where it might be somewhat helpful, odds are there will still be more of these questions popping up. Plus, as Feareh mentioned, there are old locked "What's a Floof-O-Meter?" threads still in there as a reminder in its own right.

So, we do appreciate the input, but I don't think this one has any real, dire need to be implemented right now.

And like I said, those old threads get pushed down, out of sight for no one to see.

And as for the Game Help issue, I can totally understand how that might happen, I find myself going to the "Game Discussion" section when I'm looking for "Game Help" as well, mostly because when you see the "Game Discussion" board you'd probably think that is where it would be. I'd assume most users don't really notice the Help & Rules section after the first time looking at it.

"So, we do appreciate the input, but I don't think this one has any real, dire need to be implemented right now."(Also I never said it was an urgent need, mind you. Simply an idea to help out with making the forums a cleaner place)

Honestly, There is no dire need for you to look at this thread, and reply to it either, so how come you can do that?

Is there any logical reason to not make a thread / pin a thread like that up? (Also I'd like to note that in case someone did make a thread about what it is, despite the pinned up thread, answering them only takes a URL to redirect them to the thread.)
If you don't have one you needn't reply back. Thank you.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 05:25:46 pm by Vacio »

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 10:46:07 pm »
Honestly, There is no dire need for you to look at this thread, and reply to it either, so how come you can do that?

Is there any logical reason to not make a thread / pin a thread like that up? (Also I'd like to note that in case someone did make a thread about what it is, despite the pinned up thread, answering them only takes a URL to redirect them to the thread.)
Pardon, but have I offended you in some way, Vacio? You're coming across as rather confrontational, unless I'm not reading you right, here. I apologize in advance if something I said had rubbed you the wrong way.

You are right, there's no dire need for me to look into this thread and reply to you, but why would I? I am staff here, and care about the community and its thoughts on improving the site and game, regardless of my position.
This said, there's no parallel between what is dutiful and caring,
and what is not entirely necessary on its own, if that's what you were getting at.

Now, I did consider that perhaps if there were a sticky thread in the Forum Discussion board for several guidelines and quick answers, then perhaps it would be a nice place to add something about what a Floof-O-Meter is. However, there is no such sticky in either of our discussion boards (the sticky in Game Discussion is only a redirecting link to the Help threads).

So if we had several often-recurring issues or questions in the Forum Discussion board, then a little FAQ sticky might be nice to have. But just for the Floof-O-Meter? I don't think it's quite necessary, or at least right now.
Or even sticky-ing a current locked thread from some random user wouldn't look very clean or official, since we do want the stickies to be laid out nicely for the boards to look clean and organized.

That said, I hope you understood this a bit better. While there are plenty of suggestions like this one out there, that are reasonable like yours, I don't think the Floof-O-Meter questions are truly in need of having a sticky all to themselves on the Forum Discussion board.

Again, thank you, though, we appreciate you taking the initiative to think of ways to help our forum.
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 02:45:02 am »
Not quite certain this was mentioned in here but one of the big reasons why it's Called floof o meter instead of something like "Respect" or "Karma" is really to put some relief off the whole function and get less people to feel that it actually only is there for just "respect" and "karma", just meant to be there to be more playful and a way to show gratitude, not a function for people to only think about being better or worse than others due to this number.

With this somewhat random word, comes a bit of thinking for the users here what it means to them, reward wise for good efforts it probably works and as mentioned above it's a cute and nice name for this particular forum. I will mention like the rest however that if information were put up exactly about what the floof o meter is inside of a thread with information, no one would really search for it instead it would just be somewhere to get a link to display to others if not being in a mood to explain which many people around here seem more than willing to, and personally I don't really think that this one particular forum function should need or deserve it's very own sticky in one of the boards that's placed ontop, friendly users gladly seem to explain it or post a link to another thread already explaining this.

I do understand the good intentions of having a sticky like this however, but this is quite a big forum when you think of it, and one of the reasons why it's fairly clean when browsing around compared to other forums we've might seen is really due to it not having individual stickies in too many places, one sticky is not much, but on a bigger scale it eventually will be.

Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline Vacio

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 08:41:24 am »

Pardon, but have I offended you in some way, Vacio? You're coming across as rather confrontational, unless I'm not reading you right, here. I apologize in advance if something I said had rubbed you the wrong way.

You are right, there's no dire need for me to look into this thread and reply to you, but why would I? I am staff here, and care about the community and its thoughts on improving the site and game, regardless of my position.
This said, there's no parallel between what is dutiful and caring,
and what is not entirely necessary on its own, if that's what you were getting at.

Now, I did consider that perhaps if there were a sticky thread in the Forum Discussion board for several guidelines and quick answers, then perhaps it would be a nice place to add something about what a Floof-O-Meter is. However, there is no such sticky in either of our discussion boards (the sticky in Game Discussion is only a redirecting link to the Help threads).

So if we had several often-recurring issues or questions in the Forum Discussion board, then a little FAQ sticky might be nice to have. But just for the Floof-O-Meter? I don't think it's quite necessary, or at least right now.
Or even sticky-ing a current locked thread from some random user wouldn't look very clean or official, since we do want the stickies to be laid out nicely for the boards to look clean and organized.

That said, I hope you understood this a bit better. While there are plenty of suggestions like this one out there, that are reasonable like yours, I don't think the Floof-O-Meter questions are truly in need of having a sticky all to themselves on the Forum Discussion board.

Again, thank you, though, we appreciate you taking the initiative to think of ways to help our forum.

Actually the reason why it would, not that it would necessarily have to be it's own thread, the reason behind this is because people are reluctant to look at something that just says "FAQ" and theoretically end up having to go through houndreds of Questions and Answers and possibly end up finding nothing. Therefore many people will never look at any FAQ.
And also I'd like for you to consider that the idea is not as narrow minded as some would like to believe. The point isn't "I want this done my way and no other way will be accepted." So Basically; I never did imply it absolutely MUST be it's own thread, And I'd trust others to do with it what they will. And if what you mean to say is "No body feels like / has the time for this" I understand, however I believe there are better ways to respond to it if you absolutely must.

For example; State your logical reason why this would do more bad than good.

Or for another example state that this may (Not a positive, "YES THIS WILL HAPPEN") be implemented in the future however you are not currently working on it, and it may be taken in a slightly different direction and / or presented in a completely different manner.

And as this is a side note, and utterly off-topic; My manner of speech and my emotions are not connected, and rather I am perfectly calm, and you needn't worry about upsetting this user. However, don't expect me to change my manner of speech. In other words, I am by no means offended. Thank you.

Not quite certain this was mentioned in here but one of the big reasons why it's Called floof o meter instead of something like "Respect" or "Karma" is really to put some relief off the whole function and get less people to feel that it actually only is there for just "respect" and "karma", just meant to be there to be more playful and a way to show gratitude, not a function for people to only think about being better or worse than others due to this number.

With this somewhat random word, comes a bit of thinking for the users here what it means to them, reward wise for good efforts it probably works and as mentioned above it's a cute and nice name for this particular forum. I will mention like the rest however that if information were put up exactly about what the floof o meter is inside of a thread with information, no one would really search for it instead it would just be somewhere to get a link to display to others if not being in a mood to explain which many people around here seem more than willing to, and personally I don't really think that this one particular forum function should need or deserve it's very own sticky in one of the boards that's placed ontop, friendly users gladly seem to explain it or post a link to another thread already explaining this.

I do understand the good intentions of having a sticky like this however, but this is quite a big forum when you think of it, and one of the reasons why it's fairly clean when browsing around compared to other forums we've might seen is really due to it not having individual stickies in too many places, one sticky is not much, but on a bigger scale it eventually will be.

It was never mentioned because the meaning behind "Floof-O-Meter" was never in question.
Changing the name was simply an idea to reduce confusion as "Floof-O-Meter" is not logical, therefore users will not use so-called "Common sense" to understand it, as there is no common sense in the name, but rather what an individual thought was "fun" (As I understand it)
So although I appreciate you trying to clear this up, there was no misunderstanding to begin with.

Also on the matter of the number of stickies; I do not believe this is a current issue, and if ever becomes one it just takes a little cleaning. however having 5 stickies is not that many, in fact I'd say when it gets around 10 is when you should have concern for stickies as they are taking up space. However the icons for the stickies and sticky threads are not very noticeable. Thank you.

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 02:39:51 pm »
You posted your suggestion, we read it through and explained our reasoning. Right now it just appears like you're dragging it on more than needed. If two global moderators and an administrator replying to you, giving you their time and reason of thought is not going to cut it I'm really not certain what will.

We thank you for the suggestion and we will keep it in mind.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 02:41:23 pm by Red »
Former community manager of FeralHeart