Author Topic: i got my wisdom teeth out :( any tips or advice?  (Read 1631 times)

Offline papayatoot

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 23
    • papayatoot
    • papayatoot
    • View Profile
i got my wisdom teeth out :( any tips or advice?
« on: December 16, 2017, 04:16:54 pm »
Hey guys! I’ve been pretty down and out because i gotta my wisdom teeth out a couple days ago and i was wondering if any of you guys who have been through it had any tips or things i should know that the doctors might not think to tell you about. Or if you just came to give me support that’s cool too, i’m on so many ~drugs~ and i miss the simple things in life like eating mcdonalds and staying awake :/ don’t take anything for granted, kids!!!!! XD

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
Re: i got my wisdom teeth out :( any tips or advice?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 04:36:17 pm »
I had my wisdom teeth out 3 years ago and my advice to you would be to do your best not to mess with the stitches. It will be very tempting to mess with them with your tongue once it starts healing but do your best to suppress that urge. Trust me, it's like when you have a sore in your mouth and your tongue won't stop messing with it, it's so annoying lol. My stitches were the dissolvable ones so as they slowly started dissolving I wanted to mess with them more and more because each day it felt different and "interesting".

Also, keep consistent on the pain meds. I really didn't experience much pain but that was because I made sure to be regular with taking the meds I needed and then eventually ibuprofen.

They probably already told you this but do not suck through a straw or do anything that could create a suction in your mouth because you'll end up with dry socket. I was super careful about this and never ended up with dry socket like several people I know. If they gave you a rinse or a cleaning solution, make sure you use it as instructed. My incisions healed up nicely with no issues because I avoided straws and other things like that as well as kept up on the hygienic part of the process.

Definitely be patient and don't worry about it all that much. It really doesn't take long to heal. I can't even remember any pain or discomfort I felt those years ago. It was a lot easier for me healing and getting through it than I anticipated. This was just my individual experience though. Yours may end up being different.

Watch Netflix! ^^
All I did while my wisdom teeth were extracted was lounge on the couch and binged netflix. It will be your best friend. That or Youtube c:

Good luck for the next 2 weeks or so! You'll do fine and get through this easy peasy <3
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Offline papayatoot

• Experienced Traveler
    • papayatoot
    • papayatoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 07:20:47 pm »
tysm Morgra! you’re right about the stitches; i was playing at them with my tongue literally as i read your comment and i was like, huh, that’s what that is. XD

oddly enough, i think my oxy may be too strong for me or i just haven’t yet eaten enough but i can’t even stay awake or look at a screen for more than half an hour so i have just been sleeping for the past three days XD

thank you for your support!

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 07:21:31 pm »
Eat lots of soup and milkshakes!! If you must chew something however, try chewing at the front of your mouth

Rinse out your mouth with warm salt water every day, it really helps with the healing process

If you play a wind instrument do not attempt to play it!

And basically just be gentle with yourself<3 Before you know it you'll be long past this
Farewell everyone<3

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 12:55:58 am »
Morgra and Kiki have got you covered for much of it, but be sure to ask about the kind of pain meds you can take (and know whether you're going under anesthesia or simply using numbing shots). When I went in to have mine removed, I went under anesthesia, and I had a reaction due to another pain medication, which they suspected I was allergic to. When I went home, they sent me with another kind of medication for nerves and to chill you out, but it made me nauseous. For those reasons, I stopped taking my pain medications, although even without the medication, the pain wasn't too bad, only a little sore; if you've ever had braces, it didn't hurt more than an adjustment to your wires. My sister had the same meds as I did when she had hers removed, though, and hers went splendidly. Everyone will respond differently to the medication-- just be sure to talk over any allergies to meds that you might have with your doctor/anesthesiologist. They often have substitutes for different pain meds, so they should have you covered. c:

Try to sleep on your back, if possible. If you sleep on your side, with your face against the pillow, the side will become sore. Use lots and lots of ice. Be sure to get lots of rest to speed along the healing process, and don't overwork yourself.

Your mouth will feel very solid and difficult to open, if you have many being pulled (I had my four taken out at the same time). It's normal, so don't feel concerned that there is something wrong with your jaw. The gums get a bit swollen, so it restricts the space you can maneuver your jaw. Of course, you will probably be able to contact the doctor should you think something seriously has gone awry, but don't be shocked by it. <3

Drooling will happen, too; Be careful not to dislodge anything, but have some clothes, napkins, and tissues on hand. I got a little sore throat after having mine taken out, due to the dryness of my throat, so be sure to have blankets and keep it cozy in your room. c:

Also: Those videos that you see with the kiddos acting wonky after the pain meds may or may not happen. It didn't happen to me, and I was conscious on the car ride home, but have a talk with any parents/friends that are going with you (you won't be able to drive home) about recording on their phones, if you're not comfortable with that. Looking back, the experience wasn't as bad as quite a few people had suggested; don't be too hard on yourself, and take the downtime to do something you enjoy-- watching a movie, drawing, playing a game, etc. Good luck, and you can get through it!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 12:57:32 am by Warriorstrike »

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.

Offline SophyTheLioness

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 14
  • FUZZY LLAMA COOL LLAMA SEXY LLAMA
    • ValentinaTheWolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 05:22:40 am »
I havent been through this sort of suffering yet thankfully, but my heart goes out for you- It must be pretty annoying to have those little things stuck in your mouth :(
hopefully this little thing will cheer u up tho!!
I'M YOUR OBSESSIVE SABLE MOMMA.

Signature art by bab number 1 Kiaz <3
Avatar art by bab number 2 Cocoadoq <3

(Psst, check out my free species! If you like canines... Check out this thread ;) http://www.feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?topic=57355.0

Offline papayatoot

• Experienced Traveler
    • papayatoot
    • papayatoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 05:56:57 pm »
hopefully this little thing will cheer u up tho!!

AAAAA stop it this it too sweet!!! <3 <3 tysm

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 06:10:06 pm »
i've had to deal with a lot of dental stuff lately(not wisdom teeth yet), here's what i do:

if in pain(AND THE CURRENT PAIN MEDS THEY'VE TAKEN YOU OFF/YOU HAVE A BAD BAD BAD REACTION TO), take 2 ibuprofen(or if you're a child take 1), and after a while it'll dull the pain. it's what i use for whenever i go in for something dental and they have to rummage around with sharp things.

snuggle up with something and take it easy once you're home(watch a movie or something. or a documentary on hummingbirds?)

like everyone else said dont
dont chew

be very careful with the foods you eat, but dont worry too much about it. you'll figure out very quickly which ones will hurt and which ones won't.
campbell's soup has some of the softest noodles you'll find, so i highly recommend that.

and to touch on what morgra said about messing with the stitches: that goes for basically anytime you have them(or have something in your mouth that needs to be left alone).
remember that always, it's very very very important.

i've screwed up brace bits by messin' with 'em too much(that and they were put on improperly, oops).

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972