Author Topic: RIP General  (Read 163941 times)

Offline angelre0702

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 42
  • Been here a while.
    • killingcve
    • View Profile
Re: RIP General
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2013, 04:01:09 am »
I have to say I am blown away by this. Today I went online and found an eerie silence among the maps. I was terribly confused and went to Fluorite because I believed "everything" is discussed there on General. Once again I was greeted by Local and other chats, but no General. I was completely dumbfounded for I had no idea what was going on. I asked in local what all of this was about and a random person told be about 'RIP General'. I hadn't the idea of what she was talking about so I decided to go post something on Game Help when I realized it was a topic. My mind completely turned to mush as I realized that General was so called permanently removed. My friends and I were completely blown away and very sad about this new update. I agree with the idea of Voting Poll, because I truly do not believe this was fair and I believe that others should be able to vote. Stepping aside of my sadness, my biggest fear is of advertising and spam of movies. We have a limited amount of time just to click the movies, read them, and half of the time it has been cut off in the middle of a sentence! When General was still there it was hard enough to advertise- but imagine constant spamming of movies over and over! Crystal's map idea I thought was brilliant! Make a new map for the public to be downloaded and make it a fair size so it won't be flooded with Warrior Cats clumped side by side and wolves being smushed together. It's actually very hard just to click a specific movie even if it's just one, but think about all of the trouble it would be to read that small bright yellow username and to have to click it when there are movie lines packed below. And it's not fair that we have to constantly have to scroll through the movie-usernames, and skim through every movie while you might be missing the specific one you want and having to constantly look for the right username. And now for actually trying to talk with each other generally. We're not able to find each other, nor will it be easy(AT ALL) to notice others' posts when they are trying to communicate to you. Example: Angel: Kit, where's your roleplay?
Husky f: lol xD where are you?
Husky M: UM YOU TOOK MY NAME.
Husky f: u took mine!!
Alpha TheWolf: -walks over and smiles-
Kit: Join 'Darkness is all we have'!! A new semi-lit to literate wolf pack. Send us a roleplay sample to the username ilikepie213!
Angel: Kit! Where are you? I sent you a whisper and you never responded.
max m husky pup: hi uh can i join ur rp?
ilikepie213<< Kit, where are you? This is the second time I've whispered you!
Kit: Please join!
Angel:...Just forget it. -.-
^^^And that my friends is my basic problem. The issue of not being able to communicate easily. Yes, I do know that there are many other selections of chat, it's just they're not always the choice to use. Angel's and Kit's problem was that they couldn't communicate or read anyone's post because the chat was going to fast, even in the eye-taking blaze of baby-blue chat whispers. Not pleased at all, yet I am just posting for the better. Although, you have my full support even if I'm going against it. Thanks for the update.

Offline Kayote

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • I will...never be a memory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2013, 04:08:24 am »
I am actually rather annoyed with this.

Not ALL of us want to watch MOVIES of advertising. No one sane or a veteran of this game ever uses such an absolute silly way of advertisement. I am sorry that the mods are tired of doing their jobs in, yanno, modding and everything, but spamming will happen, whether in general OR in local chat. Your attempts to stop trolling and spamming won't help for beans, to be honest.

I am frustrated because this is what keeps the game alive. You cannot just TAKE AWAY the one thing that helps a game blossom. Instead, you limit the way a person advertises packs or prides to punish others who actually use it. It's how others make friends and find new places to be.

This is unfair, and if you want to crack down on spammers, at LEAST make a button called "Advertising", so at least you know advertisements go there, and if anyone spams it, they are warned, and if it continues, banned.

Give the rest of us a break here.

This will most likely ruin the game for a lot of people, because now they have to go into a CROWDED PLACE, which causes LAGGING to find a pack or pride to be part of. We can't ALL fit into the portal area, or the bridge, or even the cave. That is unrealistic and problem-causing to say the LEAST.

Please reconsider this rather rushed attempt and make a poll to be fair. This is a game we ALL contribute to, and if there is hardly anyone left, what is there to even be proud of in the game? Dwindling members just because you FELT like taking out General?

I vote a poll, and base your choice on that instead of abruptly making this decision with no say-so from, yanno, the people who RP and want to keep RPing going. :I

PS: and those going on and on about "not being open-minded", please let it be known you closed yours when you didn't ask the general public how they might have FELT about this idea.

Just saying.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 04:13:18 am by Kayote »
My friend, do you fly away now?
To a world that abhors you and I?
All that awaits you is a somber morrow
No matter where the winds may blow.
Usually around in-game on Sephiroth or Kay. I AM PRETTY NICE, OK.

Offline angelre0702

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 42
  • Been here a while.
    • killingcve
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2013, 04:14:19 am »
I strongly agree with Kayote. Truly, you took the words RIGHT out of my mouth.

Offline Owly

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 9
    • Kryvul
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2013, 04:20:36 am »
I am actually rather annoyed with this.

Not ALL of us want to watch MOVIES of advertising. No one sane or a veteran of this game ever uses such an absolute silly way of advertisement. I am sorry that the mods are tired of doing their jobs in, yanno, modding and everything, but spamming will happen, whether in general OR in local chat. Your attempts to stop trolling and spamming won't help for beans, to be honest.

I am frustrated because this is what keeps the game alive. You cannot just TAKE AWAY the one thing that helps a game blossom. Instead, you limit the way a person advertises packs or prides to punish others who actually use it. It's how others make friends and find new places to be.

This is unfair, and if you want to crack down on spammers, at LEAST make a button called "Advertising", so at least you know advertisements go there, and if anyone spams it, they are warned, and if it continues, banned.

Give the rest of us a break here.

This will most likely ruin the game for a lot of people, because now they have to go into a CROWDED PLACE, which causes LAGGING to find a pack or pride to be part of. We can't ALL fit into the portal area, or the bridge, or even the cave. That is unrealistic and problem-causing to say the LEAST.

Please reconsider this rather rushed attempt and make a poll to be fair. This is a game we ALL contribute to, and if there is hardly anyone left, what is there to even be proud of in the game? Dwindling members just because you FELT like taking out General?

I vote a poll, and base your choice on that instead of abruptly making this decision with no say-so from, yanno, the people who RP and want to keep RPing going. :I

Just to point out that, again, Feral heart staff can't update the game without the source code. So making a button that says "Advertisement" can't be added without the game maker. Which, hah, by a lovely coincidence has abandoned the game. So no, they can't just make a button.

I'm sorry... Unrealistic? Don't you usually gather to those areas any way, in the long run? [Yeah, some may advertise while sitting on their rump in a remote location, but the majority still advertise in the three locations. I do get your frustration, though, as I get lag as well. And pretty badly too... It just may start to happen where they spread out a bit, while still in the same area, or even go wandering the map to recruit "loners" in. That's always a little fun, right? Again, alternatives. Maybe 1 person recruits, while the group leader is away from lag to take samples, or add them in. To tell them to whisper the leader. That can be a possible way to at least -help- with that lag, instead of having every member in the group, and their mother there.

And to add now, since I saw the update:
Most of the members didn't know about it either. I was even baffled when I heard about this. Yet I adapted quickly, and I get the fact not all of you agree. However, can't you at least try to think up a nice, new, creative way to make use of this?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 04:25:00 am by Owly »

Offline Kayote

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • I will...never be a memory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2013, 04:28:36 am »
But that's the problem, you and I can talk about this all day, about sending others out and having the one recruiter, but that's not how reality works for the rest of the members. It's almost reaching, to say the least.
And say you are a new pack. You won't have those reaching out to find other members to lead back. Yes, we all do gather in some popular places, but others used to meet in the corner of the game, or near the Y river, or the Plus hills or whatever. Most people don't want to go RACING OUT THERE with a character to MAYBE find a pack to join.

It just seems like a rushed idea with no real thought put into it. I mean, even the OP is all "WELL I GUESS YOU CAN ADVERTISE THROUGH VIDEO".

That's just absurd. You might have had luck today getting members, but others may or may not. Some people were complaining that they couldn't talk in general about the pack, but now, it will be even WORSE with EVERYONE speaking in local, and losing your contact in a blur of white text and long sentences.

It SOUNDED like a good idea, but to be honest, it will be abused and used the same way general was, only now EVERYONE will be speaking in local. :I It was kind of nice to to able to tell the difference from gen and local with colors. :U Now it's a block of white text.
My friend, do you fly away now?
To a world that abhors you and I?
All that awaits you is a somber morrow
No matter where the winds may blow.
Usually around in-game on Sephiroth or Kay. I AM PRETTY NICE, OK.

Offline Xenonia

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2013, 04:31:29 am »
I agree 100% with you Kayote. c:

Offline Hollow223

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2013, 04:41:43 am »
Let us be realistic on this entire concept in the first place. The idea of General is so you have a way to communicate with everybody on the map, which truly is nice. Why should it be removed? Because it's "Spam" a "Nuisance" Yes? Well tell me this, do you not have to option to turn OFF General so you no longer have to see it? That makes sense does it not.

Another huge issue I see is the idea of what's happening, this game which was make for US the PLAYERS is going to be taken over my the moderators? I sense the government affect taking over. Those who argue with are all out to be on the mods good side, as pissed off as all of you will become it is the bitter truth. I'm fairly new to this game and I get the feeling that the mods who were meant to help, are truly out for their own concerns. Which wouldn't surprise me, as power can go to your head. But please do tell me how much better it will be when everybody hordes to one area and causes the entire server to crash. Oh yes, that's so much better than a little spam. Which by the way, in case you've forgotten the concept of a MODERATOR is to help prevent those from spamming. So is getting rid of General just a way so that you do not have to do your job, that is the sense I and many others get from this entire thing.

Offline ~Stargazer~

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 78
  • "Helloooo? Trickster."
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2013, 04:59:43 am »
-dances on generals grave- xD

Preset Download
Will be less active until October 7th.

Offline zRichtofen

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 19
  • yeen here
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2013, 05:00:49 am »
If any of you can agree that this was the dumbest move, quote this sentence.

Now myself, I been here for 1 year so far. General WAS the place to talk, advertise an rp or join one.

I seen other stupid moves, but this is the stupidest. Now this game is going to loose lots of players JUST because of a chat.

So you're sitting on the desk, thinking "You know what, lets remove general chat. Lets see how they react."

I CAN SEE THAT IN YOUR EYES. Its a CONSPIRACY THEORY. I know its not true. Its like McDonands removing their bbq chicken wrap because of its nutrition facts when they removed it for trolling.

Now, think back: What have you done? What has this world COME to? What will your customers react? How much money in the game will it waste? (this is a compeletly free game, but I know it costs money to keep the download free and make the game.)

But I am not stopping there, lots of players have been waiting for an update, HUGE or small! But now that you changed it, people are raging about it.

We all know that general was removed BECAUSE it caused spam, but why not SIMPLY report the player, block the player, or TURN OFF GENERAL? Those are 3 simple things.

But then you decide to turn it off, because all of those spam, caps, and annoyance. I am NOT going to tolerate with this. JUST SIMPLY NOT.

So, I guess we won't seeing green, just white, yellow, orange, and blue colors. The big G is outta town? Make it come back to the town of Feralheart. Just see how many customers come back, I dare ya.

I apologize for my rudeness again, but this is my growl.~

-dances on generals grave- xD
^ I lol'd at that XD.

this is a double bass not a cello
feral neighborhood discord mod

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2013, 05:03:28 am »
Normally, I'd stay away from commenting on the forums. Out of the TWO YEARS [or more] of being with this game, see how many times I've posted. Even if this account isn't the two old, my original one is.

Anyway---
 For all who oppose this idea, like those stated above me, you really need to look at both sides to your complaints/dislikes.

Most of the people that dislike the idea have posted about two key features, at least in all of the one's I've skimmed. The facts they "can't advertise as well" and "can't socialize like they used to on the chat". You're missing the fact this leaves you with many new ups.

Like Crin posted, which she posted about MY role play, Abandoned Paradise, I would go out, for 4-5 hours ON END and just post advertisements. It annoyed me, because I would post some detailed stuff and get about 3 people. Today, we sat out for an hour, and people came up to us and asked about the role play. I was able to give a bigger description to them, because I didn't have to worry about my post being cut off by the constant chatter, and that they took interest in my role play first than just reading another ad. They got to see us, and hear about my group. We ended up with, what, 4-6 new members in that hour alone. Probably had about 8 or so interested in that short time.
What's more is, movies. Seriously, yeah it's a way to advertise, but it's not the ONLY way. I know a few have stated this above, I just want to touch base. People, in general when they advertised would be at one of three general locations: N/Z, Stone Bridge, and Cape [for mapped]. Rarely you would get one at the plus, but it's died down since then. However, those are the KEY areas. If you want a role play, chances are you would want to GO to that spot. Now it encourages members to as well! Now they get to see you instead of getting a random whisper where you had NO idea if they were the type of group you would vision, or met your standards. They get to ask more questions, which may be seen to other people further [but in range] back, and have them click and go: Huh, I like that. I'd like to join. Instead of hearing a same type of description in general.

Now, on the base of the socialization. Wouldn't you like to actually see the person you're talking to? I'd like to see some of the people I chat with on general. You know, see their characters and get to actually snuggle their pixelated body? While it was nice to have some random chatter, I would usually see nothing but pointless spam to cause the poor advertisers' ads to be swept away. Some times it would get so bad, advertisers were afraid to advertise! Some of the topics were pretty inappropriate too, at times. Some even made others upset and offended. Some of which, I remember, have even made me to the point of tears. Yeah, TEARS! I've seen some terrible things posted on there, and I know it's not common it happens, but it has happened quite a few times in the past year. "Turn general chat off then"- Well why should I have to turn off a chat when you're tampering with it; may it be from flooding it or talking about a bad subject? While you're entitled to opinions, some of these things should be kept for more private chats. It could very well upset others, as seen in mass arguments in general.

All and all, I don't mind the fact general is gone, as long as we have it in private maps, which I use it to torment my poor members and make announcements. The public map use of it can be very well adjusted to.
Yet, even I know people won't stop complaining, or even feel any different after reading this. I'd just like you to see some of the alternatives, rather than making a swift pass at going: OMG IT'S GONE! WE'RE GON' DIE NAO! K?! -Poofs-

That's just my two cents,
Owlus.
Your comment is filled with so much . It's a little harsh at a few parts, but hey, you are keeping your opinion strong and healthy. But, I am still keeping my opinion, since I do not want to jump the "safe"wagon.

Prepare for a wall of text.

General had some very rude and mean topics, like rape being "funny". Rape isn't funny, but the people who started the topic thought it was. It did break my heart. And also, some people on General started to insult me and call me a kid when my BROTHER spammed General chat wen I was AFK. That made me avoid FH for a month, because they were so rude to me for something I did NOT do. Yes, General had some downslides, but that doesn't mean it should be bombed completely. Hey, there were good sides of General. Talking to people to make you entertained, and in my case, making friends that created a group on Facebook. Since we don't have General anymore, the group can't be continued. Unless I find the right screenshot of them and friend them all, if they actually remember me. XD As I thought about it, the removal of general may be because of one reason, forcing others to roleplay. I had to start roleplaying again, and I suck eggs at it. Really, I have a low attention span. FeralHeart shouldn't be only focused on roleplay. Some people are saying, "HEY YOU CAN USE LOCAL YOU KIDZ." but talking long-distance is helpful. In General, you can just talk about something and multiples will respond in a second. I know people wouldn't like to run across the map to talk to several random people, saying the same thing. That will take quite a while, and most of them will ignore you. So General was used to talk to people that wanted to talk all across the map, not just in a tight circle.

TL;DR: Socialy-wise, General is a good idea to be kept because you can talk to people who will most likely not ignore you. And plus, you shouldn't have to yell in local when people are talking with their rp groups or talking to who they want to talk to.

There's a well thought out opinion for ya'll who REALLY wanted it. Anyone else that would like to create a new opinion of the opposite side to try to defeat the other? c:
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 05:13:11 am by Lion/WolfQueen »