Author Topic: I have a few questions...  (Read 1200 times)

Offline unnbrellas

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 68
  • "fight me" i scream from under my bed
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
I have a few questions...
« on: August 24, 2013, 08:20:12 pm »
Ok, just a few questions...

1) How do I install the torrent? My current computer cant handle the regular very well...

2) If I were to retexture the tree mesh (random example) for a map, would all my trees in the official FH maps look like the retextured tree?

3) Somewhat offtopic.... but what are the basics to creating a game like feral heart?

Thank you :)

Formerly MochaCocoa; Find me ingame as ErikaFishhy!
Signature by ???????????�??

Offline Ex0rcist

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 28
  • Slow Ex0 is slow
    • View Profile
Re: I have a few questions...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 08:44:28 pm »
I could possibly answer two of those questions best I could.

2) If I were to retexture the tree mesh (random example) for a map, would all my trees in the official FH maps look like the retextured tree?

There are ways to differentiate multiple textures from one, though I don't retexture objects so I wouldn't know much about it. Though if you were to retexture the tree mesh and replace the original, then it would most likely cause all trees designated to that particular texture look like your new one. Hopefully that makes a bit of sense, perhaps.

3) Somewhat offtopic.... but what are the basics to creating a game like feral heart?

Feralheart was created using OGRE, I believe. It is basically a program used to easily put together a video game with less coding than you would use from scratch. It consists of C++ coding as well, generally easier than Java basics. Here is the link to the official site if you were interested.

OGRE - Open Source 3D Graphic Engine

I'm currently trying to use OGRE for one of my video game concepts. You would have much luck with this software, I'm sure.

In-Game User: ex0rcist

Offline unnbrellas

• View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 08:51:35 pm »
Thank you! That was helpful :)

Offline Arkayy

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 40
  • YOU WANNA HAVE BAD TOM?!
    • arkayy.deviantart.com
    • Foxyhobobaggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 08:58:34 pm »
I'll try to answer these.
Edit: Looks like .exe beat me too it lol

1) You need to have something to open the torrent file I believe. I always use Utorrent, which can be downloaded here.

2) All of the trees that had that texture formerly would be retextured, yes. My suggestion to you if you don't want this to happen is to go into the Feralheart fold on your C drive or whereever its saved, making a copy of bot the material and image of the texture and saving it as a separate one with a different name.

3) Before you start thinking you can make a game like FH, keep in mind that there is a LOT of work ahead of you. If you really want to start somewhere, I would suggest opening an IT server (Impressive Title Server). Impressive title was the game before feralheart that included much more detail in game mechanics, but not as good graphics. You can retrieve the source for a basic IT server here on the KITO website.

A little advice, If you want to make the game just to have a few friends on then don't bother. You won't be motivated enough to finish it. You'd be in charge of:

- Fixing bugs, dealing with complaints, hackers and all that stuff.
     - Designing game models, (You can't just snatch some off the internet unless there free)
     - Knowing the game code inside and out. (A lot of it you have to do with wordpad and if you don't learn, there is no way you'll get it to work.)
     - Making maps, (Keep in mind you won't have map maker to use.)
     - Hosting it 24/7

There is much more as well. If you are really motivated to make a server, then i say go for it! :D Just know there is a lot of work involved. (This is coming from a dork who tried but could never get his server to work.)

If you are talking about making a game from scratch, then good luck... All I can say about that.

U WANNA HAV EH BAAD TOM?!

Offline unnbrellas

• View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 09:11:20 pm »
I do want to make my own game, and I am well aware of the work it shall take. But thank you fpr your advise! :)