Author Topic: Working on a Map with one or more person?  (Read 1226 times)

Offline VioletCyrodiil

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • Sweetroll Connoisseur
    • VioletCyrodiil
    • View Profile
Working on a Map with one or more person?
« on: February 24, 2018, 03:07:55 am »
Apologies if this isn't the right thread to be posting this!

Been gone for a while, came back earlier this week. Been toying with Map Maker a lot, got a couple of buddies to rejoin, and now we all wanna try collaborate on a map pack.

My question is: is there any way to easily share the WIP maps between eachother? Not just heightmaps and terrain masks, but the maps as a whole, with all the items intact?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 03:12:44 am by PurplePandaNerd »

Long Live the Empire!

Icon Base © SqdPixl on deviantArt

Offline FlewToTheCity

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 53
  • Mother Wolf
    • FlewToTheCity2
    • comandoness
    • View Profile
Re: Working on a Map with one or more person?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 03:38:18 am »
Greetings love and Welcome back to you all.

My suggestion is to keep a folder upon the desktop of the computer/laptop you are using and make a copy of everything that you use in there. That way you can easily make the folder into a zip/rar at any time and share your progress with your buddies. That or if you wish to save the time and you own a computer that can handle some stress, Skype them and share screens.

I am not that grand at map making but that would seem to be the most logical and easiest way in my opinion!

Avatar by Atrociious | Signature by Scottishy

Offline VioletCyrodiil

• Experienced Traveler
  • Sweetroll Connoisseur
    • VioletCyrodiil
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 04:10:21 am »
Thank you very much, but I just looked back and realized now I was not very clear with what I meant ^^;

I want to be able to send someone the WIP map for them to work on. Like, I have a map with islands. I've been putting objects and sounds into it already. I've already given them the files for download, and we've run around in it and talked about what to do with it and all that.

What we've talked about doing is, me having a map for a couple of days to work on, adding stuff, then I forward it to a friend, who works on it for a couple of days adding stuff, then they send it back to me to work on, and we go back and forth until the map is complete.

Is there any way for us to do that?

Long Live the Empire!

Offline FlewToTheCity

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Mother Wolf
    • FlewToTheCity2
    • comandoness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 08:36:35 am »
Oh, I understand now. My apologies for my late reply, I was intending on a more skilled map maker to fill you in. I have just given it a go now and I will list my steps.

As I have not imported any objects made by the Community that are not supplied by the game, You will have to tell your friends the exact location said files need to be in etc. As if they were importing them into the game.

To edit the maps you will need to locate 4 things in the Terrain's folder and copy them into the shareable zip/rar file (In this case I will be using my map as Test). You will need your Height map(s), Your mask/color map(s) obviously as a copy. Then you will find a folder named after your map(s) for this case mine is Test. Copy this folder as well, after that there will be a .map file named after said map (Test.map). These are the files the Map Creator needs in the game to edit your maps.

(For a clear pathway I will list it here: :C - Feralheart - Media - Terrains. Copy: 'Test'.png [Height map], TestM.png [Mask/Color map], Test [Folder] and Test.map )

If you have multiple maps you may need to go in and find each 4 'files/folders' for each map you wish to add together. Again, You will need to add each of your imported Objects folders into the same folder you wish to send your friends so they can see the placement of the downloaded objects, otherwise they will show as invisible (Nothing there).

I hope this was clear enough love, I am not good at instructions ;o;

Offline VioletCyrodiil

• Experienced Traveler
  • Sweetroll Connoisseur
    • VioletCyrodiil
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 12:37:45 am »
This worked like a charm! We even figured out how to share objects made by ourselves with eachother! ^^

Thank you so much, FlewToTheCity, for your help! *floof*

Long Live the Empire!

Offline FlewToTheCity

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Mother Wolf
    • FlewToTheCity2
    • comandoness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 02:00:58 am »
This worked like a charm! We even figured out how to share objects made by ourselves with eachother! ^^

Thank you so much, FlewToTheCity, for your help! *floof*

No worries love, any time. I am glad you figured everything out! Have fun building your maps and I hope to see them soon!

This topic may be locked.

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 02:09:29 am »
I'll lock this up for you, as the issue appears to have been resolved. c: Best of luck to you and your friend in creating your map!

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.