Author Topic: A rant that will probably end with my death, since everyone will yell at me.  (Read 4537 times)

Offline Kyugima

• Dovahkiin
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 182
  • Koo Koo Kachoo
    • View Profile
    • DropJaw
I remember what it is now, It wasn't a paragraph like I thought: DANCING BLEACH CHARACTER! WOO! Awesome siggie XD

please click here! Help me raise my pokemon!
Signature: Kyugima, Rimfrost, Deafosho

CloudFish

I originally wasn't going to comment on this. Mainly because Kyu has stated all I could possibly say in defense of the mod and admin staff. But then I considered this was from a Mod's point of view. And so I think Ill present the common users defense.

I've noticed that in the past few months the staff has been adding a mod in training to about every other month, roughly. They do seem to be on the lookout for people. I'll use Crin as an example, correct me if Im wrong, I'm running solely on memory, but I believe she joined in the tail end of 2011, and since has made her presence noted by the moderation by being a helpful member both on the forums and in-game. She made herself known by performing and posting in ways to further the game. It was seemingly not based on hear-say amongst friends. They are trying to get more trust worthy people.

In defense of the overall 'image' of the mods, they are, in a sense, authority figures. They have set forth rules for members to follow. When rules aren't followed, users are punished, simple, right? In theory, they can be compared to the police forces, in place to protect the people, however generally not liked by the populas. I myself have a negative view on the police force. Why? I don't like speeding tickets. However when it comes down to a position where I have a gun to my face, I will desperately wish for said force to make an appearance.

This is compared to the place of moderation and administration in the game and forum of Feral Heart. Hypothetically speaking, if a player is banned for rule braking, they will distaste the staff. However if this user is being verbally attacked or harassed in game, they'll ask for said staffs help.  

The moderation staff is then viewed based on general populas opinion.

I have also seen it stated by various users that the moderation is only interested in picking mods from their circles of friends. And then sticking to those friends and making the common user feel like an outsider. Not always neccesarily true.

For the majority of the times Ive encountered or talked with the staff members, I've never seen them be outright rude to another undeserving member. What I mean by that is that they do not generally create an unseen barrier between themselves and the users. For example, because I was not much involved with the forum and its staff when I first began, I was not aware that Red was an admin the first few times I has talked with him, he just seemed to me like someone who knew the game. He didn't carry the superiority complex users pin on the moderation.

For all that it's worth, my common user opinion is that with the resources the staff has from Kov gave them in-game and here, they do a pretty dang good job at tring to moniter the game's users without personal bias. And however slow, are working to progress the game for the greater good of the players.    
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 06:50:02 pm by CloudFish »

Offline Necromancy

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 10
  • How about a necromancy trick?
    • View Profile
I agree completely with Cloudfish.
The game's staff do a fantastic job, seeing as there aren't all that many of them.

What would help the moderators do their job, though, was if people actually /reported/ rule-breaking incidences. So many people have complained in General things like "OMGOMGOMG MY FRIEND GOT RAPED!!!!!!" or "THIS GUY KEPT COMING UP TO ME AND SWEARING!", yet when I ask them if they'd screenshotted this and PMd it to a mod, not one person said yes, in fact, most of them said things like "I can't be bothered to."

As for the staff distancing themselves from other users; completely untrue. I didn't know my friend was a moderator until way after I'd become friends with them. They don't think highly of themselves at all, or at least, not that I've seen. True, some of them don't want to make tonnes of friends, but honestly, I don't want to make tonnes of friends. And to make it worse, mods undoubtedly get hundreds of random friend requests every day, plus spam messages and group requests.
The staff pick friends like you or I would; people that they think would be good friends to have. They don't just have other moderator and admin friends; in fact, they probably have more regular-user friends than mod-friends.

As for the lack-of-new-moderator thing; it does take time for someone to gain an admin's trust enough for them to be offered the position of M.I.T., and it is possible to fail the training. If the administrators just picked a few people they'd seen say something helpful on the forums to be mods, FeralHeart would be trashed and worse off than it would be with just a few moderators.

As I said earlier, the lack of moderators wouldn't be a problem if people bothered to report things.