Author Topic: ???M?re creative.... other than lions and wolves???  (Read 6956 times)

Offline warriorXtears

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: -3
    • View Profile
???M?re creative.... other than lions and wolves???
« on: May 21, 2012, 11:17:09 pm »
I've noticed that there are too many lion and wolf role players. I think people need to wake up to what FH offers you. Like other large groups of a different species. For example, a pack of Coyotes, Cougars (like me), Zebra, and leopard. Who agrees? What are other suggestions? Any ways the people could make FH more . . . Varied?

Offline lyssaLuv

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
Re: ???M?re creative.... other than lions and wolves???
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 11:56:20 pm »
While I agree people should recognize how great other species are, a big reason people choose to play lions and wolves is for the social aspect. Lions are the only sociable big cat, and if you rp something like a snow leopard you rely on unlikely/unrealistic chance encounters, whereas those in a lion pride have a group of people they know that they can also rp with whenever. As for the wolves, a lot of canines in the wild are social but for some reason many don't take notice of the other species. It's a shame, but people are here to rp whatever species they want and if that's only wolves then that's just how it is. But you never know, many learn about other great species by being involved in communities like this one. :)

Offline Abomine

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 41
  • I'm that weird chick who's obsessed with deer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 04:45:29 am »
I personally think the reason people do so many lion and wolf rps is because they are more familiar with wolves and lions and they hold nostalgic/aesthetic appeal. I believe that part of the reason lions are so popular is because of The Lion King, a favorite childhood movie for a lot of people. Lions are also largley considered noble and regal animals. And wolves are the same way because of Balto, and also because wolves are popularly portrayed as 'misunderstood' saints-in-disguise, which probably appeals to a lot of the young people who play this game, who may themselves feel 'misunderstood.'

TL;DR: I think people rp as wolves and lions because wolves and lions are considered beautiful, majestic, appealing creatures, and because they're more popularly portrayed as such in the media than say, hyenas or coyotes.

I don't think there's much one can do to make FH more 'varied' in its rps. People will rp as animals that they like and a lot of people happen to like wolves and lions. Whatever floats their boats, I guess. I personally enjoy rping as animals like deer and rabbits, but I guess because a lot of other FH players see them as 'dumb prey animals' for their beloved wolves and lions, they don't want to rp as them.

Sorry for rambling. ^^;

To Isengard! To Isengard!

My deviantART

Offline Ramine

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 182
    • View Profile
    • Ramine on DeviantART
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 05:18:00 am »
This has been discussed a lot. I agree with everything in the posts above.
I would say it's also because people don't take time to think out their new character, and just rush into making one.
They don't bother to change the tail or ears and often use common colors like black, gray, brown, etc.
But it's only a guess. We don't know what people think when they create their characters. Hehe. (:

Signature by Delay. <3

Offline Dark Greyodon

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • I'm a ghost robot with rocket feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 01:04:06 am »
I'd do the same, but I tend to be a wolf more than anything because it's so easy to find a good RP.
However, I did start a successful snow leopard family the other day where I meet up with my "mate" and cubs regularly, but this was a big thing for me because it happens so scarcely.

I would love to see all sorts of canines and felines running around though rather than wolf there, lion here, wolf there and here, and I try to play as more than one species, but for now, not many others are. 

Offline JayCloud

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 06:45:51 pm »
lol im a bird on one character x]

Offline Abomine

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 07:05:05 pm »
@Cloud:

Awesome! Me too! One of my characters is a California Condor. What kind of bird is yours?

My deviantART

Offline JayCloud

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 11:53:15 pm »
A crow o-o XD

Offline Abomine

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 02:44:05 am »
Corvids are always cool. *gives thumbs up*

My deviantART

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 05:21:28 pm »
I have never wanted to play as just a lion or a wolf.... I like to play as a variety of species. And of course, like most people on here have said, most players are more familiar with lions and wolves rather than coyotes, cougars, cheetahs, etc.
I have very few wolf characters and NO lion characters (for now). I like to play as animals that I don't see too often on FH. I have had the following characters: thylacines, maned wolves, bobcats, foxes, skunks, raccoon dogs, warrahs (Falkland Island wolf), bears, etc.
Inactive